Author Topic: Advice on running a smooth server?  (Read 275 times)

presuming ed

Hi,

I'm ucky enough to have some space in a data centre that I can use to host a dedicated server.

Most of the time it's fine but the server can occasionally suffer from pretty crippling lag.

I've messed a bit with settings but wondered what others find most suitable?

Do all servers run with high frequency? Does anyone change the smoothing factor, prediction time for servers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

presuming ed

Something that confuses me - could dropping the server frequency from high to low actually INTRODUCE lag onto the servers because some clients will struggle? Would any lag that introduced for specific clients affect all other clients and the server?

I can't find any documentation on this and obviously the only way to test it would be on a lobby full of people but that's not really fair on them.

sam223

If the up/down speed is fine (i assume it is being a data center). The lag is most likely caused by cpu bottleneck. Watch the server whilst it is almost full,once it starts to hit 25% (if quad core) usage of wreckfest.exe you are at your limit of what the server can hold.

Frequency=low might help (if it works now?), but then players with bad (high/unstable) ping will probably have a worse experience. Less player positioning updates sent to client.
Predication time is for clients only. Not sure about the other variables,if they do anything or are only for clients also.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:47:01 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

presuming ed

Thanks - that's helpful.

Low frequency certainly has an effect - significantly lower upload with not much noticeable effect from my client which is around a 30 ping.

but still get these lag spikes.

Thanks for the CPU tip - I must admit I'd assumed that if CPU monitoring usage was staying below 100% (and it is comfortably) then it's not CPU. Maybe I need to look more closely.

It would help if we could get client pings from the console window - so if I type "list" for the player list, their current ping is records. Also if it could do that automatically at the start of each race and record it in the logs (maybe an extended logging option?) it would help me investigate.

Also instead of 'moving to next event in the loop' actually stating what that event is, what track, would help.

Just some ideas!

sam223

My guess is its topping out cpu usage. You'll notice spikes in cpu usage when physics usage is heavy. E.g big pileup or lots of drifting.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

St. Jimmy

Look for one core usage, not total. If one is getting (close to) full usage, it's already bottlenecking. But I'm not 100% sure how it's with Hyper-threading or SMT. Many games still require that one fast core pipeline where all the main/critical calculations go.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR