Author Topic: Fatal error: out of vertex buffer memory  (Read 242 times)

whatever

Hi there,

I'll keep this brief since I'm kinda annoyed.

I've been experiencing this error message on both Rosenheim Raceway and Espedalen Raceway. Could be other tracks but I haven't had time to check. The game crashes on the loading screen, giving the aforementioned Fatal Error message.

Can be 'fixed' by dropping grass density from 'ultra' to 'high' or by reducing number of opponents... but I've always used the ultra preset, so why is it shitting the bed now and not earlier? My GPU is a GTX 1070 8GB.

I want to say this is something new since the most recent patch, since I've definitely raced on both of these circuits before without issue.

Can anybody corroborate my experience or offer any more info?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:36:00 AM by whatever »

The Very End

What kind of resolution do you play on? Triple screen?

Purple44

I just tested and can confirm these two tracks trigger "out of vertex buffer memory" for me and my 1060 6GB video card. And dropping grass to High, both tracks load ok.

I'm running max graphic settings, MSAA 4x and 1920x1080p resolution on a 32" monitor.

Are there any other tracks causing this error?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:33:22 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

OH NO End, I just got out of vertex buffer memory on your Black Sails Valley track!!!!!  :(

Was testing tracks to see which ones I definitely want to race tomorrow for the next Saturday Night Mods night.

Purple44

Hmmm, even with grass set to High, I triggered out of vertex buffer memory error. At even 21 cars, I still got error. At 20 mixed class I was able to load Black Sails Valley track with out crashing game.

Just now loaded 24 cars using A Class setting and Ultra grass. :)

Retried Rosenheim Raceway and Espedalen Raceway tracks with A Class AI Set, tracks loaded no problem. :)

Would seem the bug causing out of vertex buffer memory error, has do with the AI Set - Mixed Class setting.

Anybody want to confirm this?

The Very End

I can't even run mixed AI class on any tracks, as my FPS goes to sub 10. With same cars regardless of car type = 60-100 all the time.
It really is not much grass on the BSV track, so guess it is other sources of the vertex error.

whatever

Hello again folks,

Since I obviously have nothing better to do with my time, I've done a little investigating and I've since been able to narrow down exactly what causes the error for me, which seems to reflect what other people have been encountering as per the replies to this thread.

I can confirm that only Rosenheim and Espedalen are affected. Furthermore, as Purple44 supposed, the Mixed Class AI set is the culprit. This would explain why I had not experienced this error prior to the July 6th patch, in which Mixed Class was introduced. With other AI sets, the tracks load and play as expected.

Using the Mixed Class, I have to either set grass from 'ultra' to 'high', or reduce the number of AI opponents to 22 for Espedalen or 21 for Rosenheim.  I would suspect lower spec video cards would be more drastically affected, whereas higher spec cards might not be affected at all.

Since someone else asked for my screen resolution, I'm using a single 1080p monitor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:18:14 PM by whatever »

vveyro

Yep getting the same. Espedalen and Rosenheim, Mixed AI set, out of vertex memory. Both work normally if I drop opponents into 22 from 23.

8700k, 1080ti OC, 16GB, ultra settings (motion blur, sharpening and vignetting off though), 4x AA, triple screen (5760 x 1080).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:43:33 AM by vveyro »