Author Topic: Game is going black screen without warning  (Read 591 times)

jasonjustis

I just started career mode, and did the first thing that was available, which was some lawnmower derby.  I'm trying to do the next step in the career, which is some three heat race bracket thing, and almost every time I race, the screen will just go black for some reason, but I can still hear the game playing in the background like I have some control over my car.  I obviously can't play without being able to see where I'm going, and I'm left with no choice but to either hit escape and enter a few times to try and guess my way back to the main menu to quit the game, or just open up the Task Manager and close the game out that way.

It's frustrating to not be able to get very far without the game blacking out on me, and I don't want to give it up so easily.

Keep in mind that I'm not very good about describing what is on my computer and what kind of parts are in it.  This system was gifted to me just last week, and I'm still getting used to Windows 7 after being on XP for so long.  Be patient with me.
Processor:  Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz  3.50 GHz
RAM:  16.0 GB
System type:  64-bit Operating System

Daystar

I just started career mode, and did the first thing that was available, which was some lawnmower derby.  I'm trying to do the next step in the career, which is some three heat race bracket thing, and almost every time I race, the screen will just go black for some reason, but I can still hear the game playing in the background like I have some control over my car.  I obviously can't play without being able to see where I'm going, and I'm left with no choice but to either hit escape and enter a few times to try and guess my way back to the main menu to quit the game, or just open up the Task Manager and close the game out that way.

It's frustrating to not be able to get very far without the game blacking out on me, and I don't want to give it up so easily.

Keep in mind that I'm not very good about describing what is on my computer and what kind of parts are in it.  This system was gifted to me just last week, and I'm still getting used to Windows 7 after being on XP for so long.  Be patient with me.

Hi Jason, first and foremost welcome to the forums here!  :D You will love Windows 7 as compared to your prev. operating system!

1st thing you will need to do is confirm that your game is correctly installed by performing an integrity check! if all is well, then make sure there are no mod conflicts.
just disable all mods, and jump back into your game and try again. if that does not help, backup your save folder, this is all your cars, and credits, career etc. re-install your game.
and try again. best I can think of right now. wish you luck.

jasonjustis

Thanks for the response.

Considering I just reinstalled the game after having the issues and I'm still having them, I am pretty sure I don't have any mods installed.

I also have no idea how to back up my save folder, remember I'm pretty bad when it comes to knowing my way around a computer.

What do you mean by an integrity check?  No mods installed?

Bobby Koticks

Been experiencing the same issue since the 'final' build, making it impossible to progress in the game. Usually happens when complex-looking bumpmaps with reflections of the track surface appear in the scene (such as the muddy derby track), along with considerable damage of cars around going on. Doesn't even matter if all the graphical settings are on the lowest. This didn't occur in the last beta builds or any of the development builds I've tried since 2013-ish, so that is something new..

HOWEVER, I've been playing the whole time using a fairly old, technically unsupported graphics card (GTX560) which runs the game somewhat in 45-55 fps mid-low settings, so I assumed I'm not really in a position to complain about the graphics performance and finally have to upgrade my hardware at some point.

EDIT:

It's ok if you can't describe your PC specifications that well, install the free version of this
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
And take a screenshot of the Summary view and the one about Graphics and post those here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:04:40 PM by Bobby Koticks »
my opinions are facts

St. Jimmy

Happening with any other programs/games that you suddenly drop on desktop or you loose screen focus?
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

jasonjustis

Happening with any other programs/games that you suddenly drop on desktop or you loose screen focus?

The only games I have on this new computer are Wreckfest and NR2003.  Only Wreckfest is acting up.

jasonjustis

See pic

Daystar

I have lower end gfx card than you... yet I have not these problems.

Maybe you are using your laptop graphics instead?

Daystar

Thanks for the response.

Considering I just reinstalled the game after having the issues and I'm still having them, I am pretty sure I don't have any mods installed.

I also have no idea how to back up my save folder, remember I'm pretty bad when it comes to knowing my way around a computer.

What do you mean by an integrity check?  No mods installed?

Sorry almost forgot... so your save data will be located here -------------> Steam\userdata\[User ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access

jasonjustis

This popped up in the bottom left when it happened again, this time in Multiplayer.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 391.35 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

jasonjustis

I have lower end gfx card than you... yet I have not these problems.

Maybe you are using your laptop graphics instead?

I am not on a laptop.  I have a tower sitting next to me with a two monitor setup.

UPDATE:  I went to join a race online and it did it again as soon as I joined, this time giving me a little bitty popup saying "Texture <something> 256 x 256."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:24:51 PM by jasonjustis »

Purple44

I hate saying this, but could this be a sign of a video card going bad? Maybe worth trying a stress test of video card?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2817350/stress-test-gpu.html

Also on my Win7  computer with a 960, I'm using 355.82 Nvidia drivers. Might be worth trying these drivers. Make a Restore point for Win 7 before uninstalling your current video drivers and trying these: 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/90494/en-us
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Honkey

hello

i have this to
win7

i7 6700k
16 gigs

no modes not over clocked.

i can play all my other games fine so i dought its my pc

Honkey

ill be damed runs great on win 10.

fist time thats ever happened

jasonjustis

Now I'm having another problem.

I've managed to complete most of the Regional Juniors tour of Career mode, but the Banger Racing "Banger Blitz" and the Banger Derby "Micro Madness" selections remain locked.  When I highlight them, looking at the car restrictions at the bottom, it says "All Types" on the Blitz and "Compact" on the Micro Madness, but I own two banger cars and two compact cars, so I don't understand why I can't do them.  Why do they remain locked?  My Championship progress in this section is complete as I currently have 1760/2000.  Is this a glitch?  Am I going to have to start my career over?