Author Topic: Strange dedicated server freeze when typing into console  (Read 195 times)

presuming ed

Quite a few times now, when I've been typing into the dedicated server console window, unknown to me, the server has appeared to freeze for the server users - they're seen the red 'lost connection' countdown and eventually been kicked off.

The first I've known about this on the server console is suddenly it reports that all of the players have quit.

The console stays up, appears to unlock itself without any error or message, the players reconnect and everything is fine.

Must have happened over 10 times now.

I can spot any kind of pattern - it seems to happen more on Windows Server 2016 - and the only help I can offer in finding the cause is shortly before it happens, if I type the 'list' command at the console, the player list appears twice instead of once - so at first glance you think you have a server of 48 people but when you look closely the first 24 players have been shown twice, with numbering going back to 1 after the first 24.

I acccess the server through an RDP connection, it's a VM.

For now I'm not typing into the console at all because I don't want to throw everyone off the server, but it would be nice if whatever this bug is could be nailed!

presuming ed

OK this happened again - this time during the lobby.

I typed a message into the console /message this is my message.

The message appeared twice on the console output.

Then the Wreckfest.exe CPU usage immediately went down to almost nothing.

And 10 seconds later all the 'player has quit' messages started appearing.

It wiped out the whole server.

Please see attached.

Purple44

This is your own server Ed? And this only happens at this server?

If you join other servers, have you seen the double post of chat message and server going down?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

presuming ed

Hey purple I haven't seen it elsewhere but don't join many other servers.

It has happened to me on many different servers I've set up though on different VMS in different locations with different os mainly win 7 and server 2016.

Its possible that it only happens when the server is at 24 user capacity.

presuming ed

This is your own server Ed? And this only happens at this server?

If you join other servers, have you seen the double post of chat message and server going down?

Also just to clarify, it only happens when something is typed into the admin console, not when a game connected client types in a chat window.

It's not just a double response to a /message command, I've also seen a double response to a 'list' command, where the player list is shown twice in succession, cause it.

Purple44

Ah, I thought you were referring to the in lobby text chat window. So any other server operators running into this problem with the server console?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

presuming ed

Ah, I thought you were referring to the in lobby text chat window. So any other server operators running into this problem with the server console?

None that I know of, but of the servers I've been on I've rarely seen admins use the console.

Also to fully recreate my conditions it would have to be (I suspect) a 24 player server that's at, or almost at capacity, and over an RDP connection.

I'm not saying they're contributing factors, but if I was going to try and recreate the error, I'd be looking at recreating those circumstances too.

It happens fairly regularly - like once or twice a day, but it's not the kind of thing I want to try and recreate deliberately, because I don't want to throw a server full of players off!

presuming ed

Ah Ha!

I've nailed this one. It's the presence of some 'STEAMPS3' messages in the console that cause it.

I got videos of it happening from both the server and client perspective and will create something in the bug forum now I can be more precise about it.

presuming ed

Another server admin mentioned to me yesterday that he'd experienced this.

Also, this morning when I went to check the console it was in a bit of a state.

See attached.