Author Topic: Ukiah Speedway (5 Track Variants (new variant added 8-13))  (Read 276 times)

KillerAJD

Hey there all!

One of my loves growing up was playing Test Drive: Eve of Destruction with my brother, and I just had to have Bugbear's next game when it came out, as it looked like it scratched that itch. Played it a bit throughout early access, but have put a ton of time into it since release. I also love sim racing games, so I had initially worked on this track for rFactor 2, but I got to the point where I was editing the AI and got stuck (I tend to only play offline for the most part, so broken AI was a no-go for me). Anyways, shelved that version, and then started loving the content on the Workshop for Wreckfest, and figured I'd give it a shot. And, et voila!

I'm extremely not good at a lot of this, and know just enough to get myself stuck in spots, but I managed to cobble together a digital version of Ukiah Speedway, which is located in Ukiah, California. It's not perfect, and I used a liberal amount of pre-fab stuff where I could, but I think it turned out alright, and the 4 different variants (Oval, Derby, Figure 8, and Figure 8 with Ramp) keep things interesting. There were some spots that ended up taking longer than I liked to get through (specifically, I have no idea how to get the cameras working correctly, and I spent literal hours trying to get blend maps to work, and finally got it to partially work, sometimes...), so we'll see if I do more, but I hope to continue on and at least do Ukiah's sister track, Lakeport, and Petaluma Speedway (my home track, and on dirt, so that'll be interesting), and possibly a now defunct track my dad used to race at in Nevada.

Regardless, I definitely have a new appreciation for the guys and gals who build this stuff in the studio, because holy crap it can be a lot of work, especially when I barely know enough to get by, haha.

Anyways, have at it! Let me know what you think. If you run into any issues, I'll try to address them, but don't expect miracles.

Steam Workshop Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1457541767

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:36:29 AM by KillerAJD »

The Very End

That looks great! I love how you have put much work into the details not just on the track, but scenery around. It creates a believable environment which in turn raises the level of the track a lot.
If you got the motivation - please do more. People really want ovals, and seeing this im positive that you can do it.
Also: I know your pain of using days on small problems most people won't even notice haha! Feels good when you manage it, or like in many of my cases - anoys the hell out of me when I can't get it to look like what I want :p
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:12:30 AM by The Very End »

KillerAJD

That looks great! I love how you have put much work into the details not just on the track, but scenery around. It creates a believable environment which in turn raises the level of the track a lot.
If you got the motivation - please do more. People really want ovals, and seeing this im positive that you can do it.

I appreciate it! I do have to say, tons of your posts specifically got me to the point I could actually release something. You've got lots of good information littered throughout the forum, so thanks! And I definitely do want to try and do a few more. As always, it's more of a case of time than anything. And I love me some ovals, so if I do create more, it'll probably be those exclusively (with the requisite derby and figure 8's of course, haha).

I wish there were an easier way to view the various prefab objects. It can be tedious creating max files for each one, then plopping it into the track, loading, seeing if it's anything I can use, and then adjusting its position and such if it works. I eventually got the hang of it, but it still takes forever, hah. The solution to that is to use my own stuff I guess, but I'm absolutely terrible at texturing, so that keeps me from even attempting half the stuff I might be able to add.

The Very End

Haha I know! Always fun to guess which way the xref object is going to be rotated when inserted into scene :p For the most parts I use BB Assets with trial and error, but some stuff I make myself. It is a slippery slope tho, for example - used a whole day to create a car trailer, then ultimately it ended up looking mediocre at best... so, chose your battles and re-use where possible and make sense.

Speaking of ovals - seems people request 50's ovals over at my place often, I and them would not mind having one doing those ;)

And lastly, glad to hear I could be of use. The information I gave gathered are based on trial and error and a lot of pms and Twitter messages over the last two years to the developers. To share this is the least I could do - no need for keeping the cards tight to the chest.

vveyro

Great work man. Permanent addition to my collection.

In terms of looks, it's on level of official tracks IMO. Gives the feel like it's "part of the game" which is really neat. Hope you do more. The layout is a bit simplistic but if you would do longer, non-oval mixed surface tracks such the ones in the official game, I think they would become really popular. You definitely have the visual eye for this.

Actually, reminds me of something I'd like to see more. Mod tracks released as individual downloads. Not just in packs, like every modder seems to do. (Perhaps modders could release them both ways?) So that if I like certain ones, I can download/keep just them. Wreckfest seems to have this modding culture where bunch of tracks are mashed in. Where as in something like Assetto Corsa modding scene, modders put huge work into just 1 track and may work on it for 1-2 years with a team of several people. They take pride in rivaling official track artists, and really focus on 1 track.

Some tracks in The Very Track pack (while as an overall package, probably best mod content for Wreckfest) for example are stunning, and on the level of official tracks... and some (older?) aren't. In some I have framerate/vertex memory issues, so I never drive them (I could solve it by lowering settings, but truth is I end up not driving it... since the settings give no issues in official tracks). So I kind of wish I could download each also separately in Workshop.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:07:54 AM by vveyro »

Heddly

Great work man. Permanent addition to my collection.

In terms of looks, it's on level of official tracks IMO. Gives the feel like it's "part of the game" which is really neat. Hope you do more. The layout is a bit simplistic but if you would do longer, non-oval mixed surface tracks such the ones in the official game, I think they would become really popular. You definitely have the visual eye for this.

Actually, reminds me of something I'd like to see more. Mod tracks released as individual downloads. Not just in packs, like every modder seems to do. (Perhaps modders could release them both ways?) So that if I like certain ones, I can download/keep just them. Wreckfest seems to have this modding culture where bunch of tracks are mashed in. Where as in something like Assetto Corsa modding scene, modders put huge work into just 1 track and may work on it for 1-2 years with a team of several people. They take pride in rivaling official track artists, and really focus on 1 track.

Some tracks in The Very Track pack (while as an overall package, probably best mod content for Wreckfest) for example are stunning, and on the level of official tracks... and some (older?) aren't. In some I have framerate/vertex memory issues, so I never drive them (I could solve it by lowering settings, but truth is I end up not driving it... since the settings give no issues in official tracks). So I kind of wish I could download each also separately in Workshop.

Nice track KillerAJD, really looks great.

The cars that I did for the FOJ Community Mod were only released in the car packs. Now I wish I had uploaded them individually also. That way players could just add the cars they liked, but the car numbering system would over write other cars making them unusable, I like the way Wreckfest lets you just add cars by name.

Purple44

One problem with release tracks as individual tracks, you would need all the support files, like textures and objects. Object files not too big, but texture files can add up.

And start mixing tracks form different track makers, one track might overwrite the textures used on another track.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

KillerAJD

Thanks again for the nice words all!

Well, to the detriment of actually doing some other stuff today, I first started experimenting with trying to get a dirt oval going. Again, I'm pretty terrible with texturing, and I still struggle with the blend maps sometimes, but I was able to make a dirt version of Ukiah, so I started work on my home track, Petaluma Speedway. Who knows how long it will take to complete, but it's at least a start.

vveyro

One problem with release tracks as individual tracks, you would need all the support files, like textures and objects. Object files not too big, but texture files can add up.

And start mixing tracks form different track makers, one track might overwrite the textures used on another track.

Hmm I see. So the same textures can be used by multiple tracks, and thus lowering the overall download size? Then I 100% understand the packs.

Besides, The Very End seems to have made upgraded version of his Dune race, which looked amazing. So apparently he has some plans to upgrade some of his older tracks, but that must be huge work since there is so many. Some of them I don't really care for.. but I guess having them in the menu isn't that big of a deal, just gotta remember which ones cause the vertex error and not race them

The Very End

Hmm I see. So the same textures can be used by multiple tracks, and thus lowering the overall download size? Then I 100% understand the packs.

Besides, The Very End seems to have made upgraded version of his Dune race, which looked amazing. So apparently he has some plans to upgrade some of his older tracks, but that must be huge work since there is so many. Some of them I don't really care for.. but I guess having them in the menu isn't that big of a deal, just gotta remember which ones cause the vertex error and not race them

Yeah roadmap is to create one new track then repolish an old one, then repeat. It's a long road ahead tho.
Speaking of packs, I see points back and forth, and I agree with both. Personally I like having things in packs both in terms of re-usability (less size, objects across tracks, and so on), but it's also easier for multiplayer. If you have 40 different tracks, then it can be a nightmare joining hosts that only uses some of them, because game will throw errors if the mods are not exactly the same aswell in same order as host.
In a perfect world things could have been downloaded from host directly, but alas, it's kind of a ... well, it works, but I understand the points for and against.

KillerAJD

Well, it's been longer than I'd like, but I'm starting to get to the end of working on my next track. Hopefully I will have it done by the end of this weekend, but we'll see (a wrench thrown in that plan is that tomorrow I may actually be going to the track itself to watch the races, haha). Pretty much have the main oval version and derby versions complete, just working on some alternate routes/versions. I think some double banks in turns 3 and 4, some jumps on the straights, and some whoops in turn 1 and 2 seems like an interesting enough alt. And thanks to The Very End for some inspiration and pieces/textures from his pack. I'll also be using the flames that Purple44 and TVE developed, so thanks to them for that as well.

Here's some photos of the alternate I'm working on right now with the extra banks, jumps, and whoops. Literally have just tweaked/added geometry, and haven't polished it yet.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:52:06 AM by KillerAJD »

sam223

Top job,looks great. Don't forget about #surfaces to change diving dynamics and emitters, along with any physics properties youd like to add to other objects.
You can find a bit of info and samples in the general modding topic recently. Where me and TVE setup a new surface for the game so you dont have to modify any of bugbears ones.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

KillerAJD

Top job,looks great. Don't forget about #surfaces to change diving dynamics and emitters, along with any physics properties youd like to add to other objects.
You can find a bit of info and samples in the general modding topic recently. Where me and TVE setup a new surface for the game so you dont have to modify any of bugbears ones.

I'll have to check that out. Currently just using the default #mud surface for the track surface, and that does a decent enough job as it is currently. There is occasionally some odd behavior with the AI. And more to that point, I'm having an issue with the double banked turns 3 and 4, as I would love to have it so the AI can choose either lane, but after experimenting, it doesn't seem like it's possible, as the intention was to not have any kind of barrier between the lanes, so if a player, or AI, slipped from the first bank to the second, they could continue on. If I just leave the entire area as safe, and choose one of the paths as the racing line, that works, kinda, but occasionally an AI car will get stuck trying to climb back onto the first bank (or the side of the second bank), which isn't possible, so they just sit there until they get hit and it moves them a bit. Ultimately not too big of a deal, and a human would figure out what to do immediately, just throws some randomness into the mix with the AI blocking one of the paths, haha.

Working now on a second alternate route, and then will probably be finished.

KillerAJD

Alright, added a new variant, the High Banked Oval!

Also fixed a few texture issues, and removed some tire objects from the figure 8 courses, which should (hopefully?) get rid of some pretty bad performance issues myself and a friend had.