Author Topic: Any suggestions? Let's hear them!  (Read 3275 times)

St. Jimmy

Thanks, good points.

A follow-up question to everyone: in your opinion, what is the most significant reason for people not player multiplayer, or not coming back to it? In other words, what in your opinion we could do to make people more interested in playing multiplayer? Some factors have already been mentioned in this thread and naturally we have some ideas of our own but I won't mention any just yet because it might affect the replies we get.
Couldn't think much but here are couple things:

- One could be that you can't easily choose what class the bots are in the server. Also the bots aren't always that competitive. Not much fun hang around with those waiting for other players to come.

- Getting kicked out of the server when not being ready can be really frustrating. Maybe you could make unready people go at the back of the grid?

- Possibility for admin just spectating for easier server moderation.

- One thing that came in my mind is that you can't tune and change the car in the last 20s. I think the earlier 10s was good enough.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

The Very End

In fear of repeating (as you mentioned something is mentioned here but not which in particular); But I think the streamlineness of modding is one factor. Secondly I think it's the replayability. Here I think gamemodes really is to shine, as they do not need to create new tracks and environments, but shift things around and make a unique experience. Of course, coupling those with new tracks would be great, but if one has to focus it's not the selection of things to do that is the issue at hand, but the variations of the things we already got.
Lastly, customization options while at server. Having to leave multiplayer to change things makes people more prone to just play singplayer instead - less of a hazzle.

Merhunes Dagon

To bring back player in multiplayer, I think you should maybe add more tracks/environment (like you did in flatout 1&2, I must be really annoying to say everytime "like in flatout" hahaha) and more gamemod like an infected mod too or others fun things and maybe add achievment because yeah, some players play only for achievment (not me  :P), it can seems strange but it can make Wreckfest looking more like a real game for some players.

Caley19

Thanks, good points.

A follow-up question to everyone: in your opinion, what is the most significant reason for people not player multiplayer, or not coming back to it? In other words, what in your opinion we could do to make people more interested in playing multiplayer? Some factors have already been mentioned in this thread and naturally we have some ideas of our own but I won't mention any just yet because it might affect the replies we get.

What Wreckfest's multiplayer makes less interesting is it's repetition - you race a track you lose or win and you race another (and you earn experience points from it). Good for someone who wants to hop in and play the game for an hour or two, for us old flatout fans and for those who like all kinds of "demolition events". But for more casual gamers I think Wreckfest's multiplayer lacks in some kind of better progress and rewards and stats from doing it. When I play multiplayer it's a lot of fun, but mostly I don't care that much of rewards I get because it's mostly just some credits and progress level that sometimes unlocks you something in your garage.

Basically Wreckfest's mp is all about racing and wrecking which isn't bad but If you want from players to keep playing it more and coming back later after getting destroyed by others - it needs a better rewards, leveling system imo.
And also stats - how many races you won, how much takedowns you got, hits, damage, etc. Maybe even takedown/dnf ratio would be fun to see.
Maybe even player stats per server so you can compete with others which brings me to another idea - bring back rewards like "Heavy Hitter" etc. or something like: Most hits: "Playername", Punch bag: "Playername", Fastest lap: "Playername", Bulldozer: "Playername", etc. and show that to players after each race in the same style as rewards and points after each race.
Something like quick server join would be nice to see too. Game will chose server with the best ping, some players and race not in progress so you can hop in and play.

Some more ideas for both mp and sg with goal to bring more players, keep them interested and make them feel like they have a lot of things to do. (keeping them busy with progressing in game):
- making multiplayer groups and allowing players to request join in. Make leaderboards with points for every group and players can race/battle for their group! This groups could be separated from servers (global like current leaderboards) and players could search throught all groups, check their description, rules, members and again request join in.
- try to make more goals for players and make it clear so they don't get confused what to do. Maybe even bringing back crew system and some kind of sponsor system.
- customizable garage objects/collectibles maybe? Since we've got a solid customization parts for cars - would be amazing to see some customizable parts around in the garage or changing  walls materials etc just adding in fun for collecting things and personalize the game.
- and of couse more gamemodes would be nice - even with just a small changes to the current ones.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:25:41 PM by Caley19 »
Also known as John Blackhills.

PsychOXRat

Based on what I've been told by people that have stopped playing MP, it was down to the server side physics and how they could be running in a race absolutely fine, but then because the ping isn't great, or it's unstable, they don't feel like they're in control of their car at all, so the basic gameplay experience is "broken". Sometimes this causes weird things to happen as well such as cars getting pushed around by another even though there's a 10m gap between them and both get thrown off the track with no way to stop it, and cars driving around sideways on a straight.

Personally, this has also somewhat pushed me away from MP since I could be having a great race, get a small ping spike, and my car is somewhere I can't guess, and my race has been ruined by something entirely out of my control. It's also like I have to be a lot wider with my racing line, as otherwise I could scrape past a pole, for example, only to be pulled back and slammed into it because my car isn't actually where my car is on the server
System Specs: Intel i7-7700K CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX970 from GALAX

TheEngiGuy

In fear of repeating (as you mentioned something is mentioned here but not which in particular)....

Basically Wreckfest's mp is all about racing and wrecking which isn't bad but If you want from players to keep playing it more and coming back later after getting destroyed by others....

Couldn't think much but here are couple things....

Based on what I've been told by people that have stopped playing MP, it was down to the server side physics.....

I 100% agree with all of these posts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:40:10 PM by TheEngiGuy »

simosimo

I'd like to see the stats back after an MP race so people can aim for something. Best wrecker, most air time, etc. Dirtiest racer/cleanest etc

It would be good to see some more feedback and pomp in the races, such as when a winner wins theres a little pop up with glitter/sparkles (for the winner) and some other glitz. On the track it feels a bit muted when a race winds down.

For MP I think you'd really need to focus on re-working liveries and such, or even a livery editor. A task which is no mean feat I imagine but people love tweaking stuff especially in racers, just look at GT Sport and etc. Give us a logo uploader etc.

Also a decal based number system so the same pool of numbers aren't hard baked onto car liveries. Either that or a white sticker on the car where some black text can easily be dynamically placed and defined by a player. It's a bit janky to see the same numbers/livieries when racing.

OH and I'd LOVE love love, to see a Destruciton Derby 2 style stock car. I know there's the american square boxy car, but the smoother looking one from DD2 with the rear 'mustang style' brake lights.

For console, please have a solid 5 man [or more?] party system. I'm doing the hard sell for this game to my friends, so a nice party system and join-games-together system is a must.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:58:27 PM by simosimo »

sam223

I still play quite a bit of online racing and (no offline) considering ive been playing it for years now. Theres a couple of things that stop me straying from organized mod leagues though and playing vanilla.

- Lack of competitive balance. To many variables that don't mix well imo. We have class restrictions now but more are needed really, so admins can disable any specific cars and specific rated cars (i.e mud digger,fwd, A class speedbird etc) or certain assists.

- Lack of online competition. In a online league you get X amount of races, you score points towards the league table and you race against the same people for a few hours ,with the racing/rivalries improving/developing as the night goes on. Whereas a standard online lobby you just do a race,then when map changes to one you dont like,you quit. If multiple events were tied together (i.e sprint cup) and there was also an objective for those who aren't topping the list (big hitter/mad dog), I think you would be more inclined to complete a full event session.

- Lack of event modes outside of racing. I know this is a sticky subject, and i certainly wouldnt want to see 'throw a driver through a basketball hoop' come back. But there is a large amount of realistically appropriate non racing game modes that could work. If you look at real racing events there is often a support event to break the time up, be it ramp roll over,caravan race,caravan jump etc or a support formula. I think wreckfest would benefit from this, you can already kinda do it with event loops, single car race etc. But if it was more inclusive in the game it would help. There is also a lot of options in game that arent force-able e.g stock car race (full armour only) , non contact race (no armouring allowed) etc
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:34:09 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Zeron

Please, for the love of mankind... let us change AI usernames in career mode again!

I'm sick and tired of seeing those stupid usernames, if I wanted that I would just play online.

BenDover

Thanks for all the feedback, this is great.

Just a quick note regarding the checkpoints and sectors: in case there's a clear issue somewhere please flag it (in detail, please) and we'll attack these one by one. Especially considering there's soon going to be a console release(s) with a lot of new players having fair and truthful leaderboards is very important. Having server hosted leaderboards is fine, but it's not really fixing the root of the problem but more like a workaround.

I will fix some videos in the weekend for you guys to take a look at. Atleast the major issues, dont know all of them on every track but I will do my best to sort it out for you.

Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

BenDover

- It would also be good to have a Global leaderboard (like we have now) but also a server leader board. I am tired of the cheaters on there. I suggest to make the checkpoint stricter or even make some tracks even more restrict of where you need to put up some kind of cement blocks like you did on tarmac 2 for example even if that track also beeing exploted still. (Yes I know this is annoying BUT if there wasent anyone cutting to get to the 1st play we would not need to adress the issue right?) I just feel its really boring to play right now, I wanna see how fast I am to other players but knowing some abusing some checkpoints/corner its not fun anymore and driven me and others from the game for the moment.

This one is extremely hard to balance. While I get your frustration, decreasing checkpoint width, more strict sector enforcing and such would really piss off a lot of people. Already people get pretty annoyed by the red ring of doom, where you have to drive backwards to find out what part of track you cut too much (a visual indicator would be nice). It is like the horn case, where one side really wants one while the other really hates it.
Maybe it would be better to create a mod that alternates the tracks to a more race them with stricter sectors / checkpoint and object placement. Such can quickly be done by Bagedit alone at the moment. And that way you won't get the love/hate situation.

Yes I agree it would piss off a lot of ppl, but with those drivers who abuse the checkpoints to get to the top are too blame for this, someone in the other thread came with something good (think it was Sam or Jimmy) that cutting the track/going off track will get you a (!) time that will not be listed as a valid time, that would be a perfect thing to put in place but yes its hard to make a system like that aswell.

It would work with a mod or so but then again I feel I am "closing" the server due to the "X" in the server list.
Then I feel a server side leaderboard could be good, I think I saw someone who was doing something like this in the forums when the game released but I am not sure it was about leaderboard or not, even so a website came out with something else where you could see dmg done/heavy hitter or something like that aswell, so if players can make it then BB should be able to even if it is harder to implent into the game itself, I understand it will take some time to fix it but I am just trying to fix the problem with the abused leaderboard times.

I know everyone dosent agree with me when it comes to the leaderboard times getting abused, but going off track to just be on top is something I see as "cheating"/abusing.
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

BrianUK

Based on what I've been told by people that have stopped playing MP, it was down to the server side physics and how they could be running in a race absolutely fine, but then because the ping isn't great, or it's unstable, they don't feel like they're in control of their car at all, so the basic gameplay experience is "broken". Sometimes this causes weird things to happen as well such as cars getting pushed around by another even though there's a 10m gap between them and both get thrown off the track with no way to stop it, and cars driving around sideways on a straight.

Personally, this has also somewhat pushed me away from MP since I could be having a great race, get a small ping spike, and my car is somewhere I can't guess, and my race has been ruined by something entirely out of my control. It's also like I have to be a lot wider with my racing line, as otherwise I could scrape past a pole, for example, only to be pulled back and slammed into it because my car isn't actually where my car is on the server

Yep, this is what stopped me from playing online now. The feel of driving between offline and online is stark, and it's a far worse experience online because I never really feel like my car is responding to my inputs properly. Even with a stable 60 ping there is hideous input lag which makes it very hard to drive well and consistently, and if I get a lag spike (which is my ISPs standard setting), everything on my screen stops, but my car just keeps going and it's a total crapshoot as to where I'll end up.

I did the last endurance with momentary ping spikes (50 up to about 200, then instantly back again) every 5 laps, and it just became a total chore to drive. Ever since it was changed to whatever makes it like this online, I've barely played (even though the game is actually great to play again) because my car taking a year to respond to my commands just ruin it for me.

sam223

Yep, this is what stopped me from playing online now. The feel of driving between offline and online is stark, and it's a far worse experience online because I never really feel like my car is responding to my inputs properly. Even with a stable 60 ping there is hideous input lag which makes it very hard to drive well and consistently, and if I get a lag spike (which is my ISPs standard setting), everything on my screen stops, but my car just keeps going and it's a total crapshoot as to where I'll end up.

I did the last endurance with momentary ping spikes (50 up to about 200, then instantly back again) every 5 laps, and it just became a total chore to drive. Ever since it was changed to whatever makes it like this online, I've barely played (even though the game is actually great to play again) because my car taking a year to respond to my commands just ruin it for me.
You are using a wired connection brian?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:51:21 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Steiner

Online Tournament Mode with persistency. You can only repair your car so much for the next race, would motivate to play more strategic.
JOIN "1st&ONLY CLASS D SERVER | NO SPECIAL VEHICLES | DIRTY RACIN"
Realistic Damage, Slow Oldschool Racing, long and intense Duels

Merhunes Dagon

What's about a "goal race" like in solo career, but in mp each players have a list of different objectives and to win, you only have to achiev your goals and you earn points. (like spin 3 cars, do 1/2 barrel roll, make the best lap, destroy the most objects, finnish in top 3/5/10, crash out 2 cars (no dnf it will be irritating I think because he will focus only one car or 2) etc etc, I think it can be really cool to implement this in game.

And rewards for some level like : level 5/10/20/30/40/50/75/100 in money, or unlocking special paint/custom parts for your cars.

What's about a short trailer for each car you buy ? Players love rewards ! And this can be feel really rewarding !