Author Topic: Changing material properties doesn't change it in the game  (Read 141 times)

St. Jimmy

Here's an example:

- The material is originally named as map#gravel
- I change it manually with BagEdit to map#tarmac
- The material still acts like gravel in the game

That test was done in a simple map

I noticed this because I wanted to do some changes on those to some vanilla tracks to get more different tire dynamics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:09:53 AM by St. Jimmy »
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Heddly

Would changing the surface to tarmac change the feel of the physics of the track? Just a guess on my part.

St. Jimmy

Would changing the surface to tarmac change the feel of the physics of the track? Just a guess on my part.

Nope. The physics stay as gravel. Just double checked that by making the tarmac having Slow Down properties. Still acted like a gravel and raises brown smoke.

Unless I misunderstood your question? That's pretty much what I tried to report :) Since I can't access the vanilla game's files to change things in 3DSMax and export the track again, it looks like you can't change the physics afterwards, even when the .scne file is suggesting that it should be possible.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:56:23 AM by St. Jimmy »

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Heddly

OK, I didn't know you needed a 3d program, I made an FO Ultimate Carnage Track Conversion mod, from dirt track to asphalt by editing the texture, the dynamic_objects.bed and surfaces.bed files. Thought BagEdit might do the same thing. Good luck with your project.

edit: Did the track texture change to tarmac when you edited the material name in BagEdit?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:05:08 AM by Heddly »
I7-2.9 Ghz 8GB, Radeon R9 200 4GB   http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons

St. Jimmy

OK, I didn't know you needed a 3d program, I made an FO Ultimate Carnage Track Conversion mod, from dirt track to asphalt by editing the texture, the dynamic_objects.bed and surfaces.bed files. Thought BagEdit might do the same thing. Good luck with your project.

edit: Did the track texture change to tarmac when you edited the material name in BagEdit?
Textures changes like they should.

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

The Very End

It probably must be re-exported (the track). At export time the tags indicates various of things, such as physics, references and whatnot. At least for me I have to re-export tracks if I want to change physics, it is not enough to just change the material property / tags from Bagedit.

St. Jimmy

I guess this can't be "fixed"?

My original idea was to make these "road shoulders" that are found in the Sandstone Raceway, to have different handling.

I noticed that they're tagged as #gravel but would be nice if they're tagged differently, like using some existing one like #offroadsand or making a new one. You seem to use pretty similar properties for every surface, so changing the tag shouldn't really affect the base game unless you'll do more changes in the handling. But for something like trying to courage people be more on the actual road with a handling mod, those having different surface tag would help a lot.

The one in the picture is in data\art\levels\sandpit\sandpit_01_1\sandpit01_base.scne
- > Scene -> Models -> 2531 - terrain -> Base Mesh -> 0 -> Meshes -> 0 - terrain -> Batches -> 82 -> Material -> roadshoulder1#sandpit1#gravel#blend

Batches 72 to 82 seem to be those road shoulders.

Please change the #gravel tag on those :) And that kind of thing could be cool to have for maybe in other tracks and places also. Haven't really checked other tracks yet how they're.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:11:59 PM by St. Jimmy »

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR