Author Topic: NVIDIA driver crashes  (Read 372 times)

gordon--

ISSUE
NVIDIA Driver crashes

DESCRIPTION
Hi, I like the game but I didn't expect so many crashes. (badum tss, how often do you hear that joke? =P)
First of all, I know that a driver crash can be caused by anything and it's not guaranteed to be caused by the game. But since it hehaves like discribed below it looks to me like a game problem.
As the title says I'm having driver crashes, that 4101 event in the Windows eventlogs (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.)
This error is not so easy to reproduce since sometimes I can play for hours without problems. But I noticed that playing on "Sandstone Raceway" is nearly impossible for me.
Nearly impossible means that it crashes >90% if I try to play this track, sometimes I can drive 1-2 laps but it is very unlikely that I can complete a full race.
If I skip the events in carrer mode that contain this track I can play a few hours. It happens on other tracks too, but not as often as on this one.
The game process is not really crashing, it survives the driver crash but the game window stays black. Sound continues, if i press ESC I can hear that the game will be paused.
Sometimes I see a "Fatal error" message (screenshot attached) when I press ESC after the driver crashed, looks like it can't load a menu texture, I bet this happens because some
Direct X handles and stuff get invalid when the driver restarts. If I press "Ok" the game exits, if I don't get this message I have to kill the process with ALT+F4.
Because of that there are no crash dumps generated that may help you.

I tried all kinds of graphic settings, but I had no luck with that. It happens on max and min settings, vsync on/off windowed or fullscreen. I also tried it with different graphic
settings in the NVIDIA control panel. Nothing helps. I tried the "Debug Mode" in the NVIDIA control panel which as far as i know disables overclocking (factory overclocked by Zotac).
I updated to the current NVIDIA drivers (411.70), previously it was 3xx.xx, I don't remember the exact version. Removing the driver with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling
also doesn't make a difference.

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO
See attachment

System:
Zotac GeForce GTX 780
Intel Core i7 4790
16gb RAM

CPU-Z log for more details: https://nopaste.xyz/?c9d3f9d8f2fa9426#uBzCBWbkNZcQzreq4T2dpEJ0HaXoIHPkDQHgr9wdpfM=

Edit:
I made a screenshot, it's on the track "Savolax Sandpit". It is not crashing every lap, but if it does it is everytime in this turn where all the stuff is on the right. Is it possible that a driver crash is caused by a specific object rendered to my viewport or something like that?
https://imgur.com/qWpxnkG
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:22:48 PM by gordon-- »

Purple44

The 700 series Nvidia GPUs has had issues with running Wreckfest in the past:

Graphical flickering

It might be worth your effort to tryout some older Nvidia drivers that may work better with Wreckfest and 780 video card, like drivers from 2017.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

gordon--

Hi,
thanks for your reply. I tried different drivers today. I know that flickering, it is happening to me but it is not to annoying. I tried the versions 391.35, 350.12 and 337.88 (very old, 2014) an the crashes are still there. But it looks like on 337.88 the grass flickering is gone. Only played a few minutes with this one, I'll keep it a little longer to see if it really fixes the flickering and I'll report it to Nvidia if it does.

Purple44

Hi,
thanks for your reply. I tried different drivers today. I know that flickering, it is happening to me but it is not to annoying. I tried the versions 391.35, 350.12 and 337.88 (very old, 2014) an the crashes are still there. But it looks like on 337.88 the grass flickering is gone. Only played a few minutes with this one, I'll keep it a little longer to see if it really fixes the flickering and I'll report it to Nvidia if it does.

Does the Sandstone Raceway track only crash in career mode or does it crash when do a custom race?

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

gordon--

It also happening on custom races and online mode.

TT

You might want to have Steam verify the file integrity for the game.

Something like this happened to me and verifying file integrity fixed it.

To do it:

In Steam, find Wreckfest in the Library list.

Right click it.

Click Properties

Click Local Files

Click Verify File Integrity.

gordon--

Hi,
I tried this twice, forgot to mention it. I had no luck with that.

Janne Suur-Näkki

In my experience driver crashes are almost always caused by an hardware issue.

gordon--

Jepp, hardware issues or buggy drivers. But since it is more or less reproducible I'm not sure if this is the case this time. Of course I can not promise that it is caused by the game, but I think so. I'll try to make the driver crash on other games too.
Today I reinstalled my graphic card, cleaned pins, removed dust etc. but that didn't help.

Janne Suur-Näkki

We've noticed that Wreckfest is a pretty demanding game so any issues will show up more often than with some other games.

You could also try stress testing the GPU with one of the programs available, and test the GPU memory with something like MemtestG80.

gordon--

Thanks, I'll try that too and report results here if I've done it.