Author Topic: Driving model and physics selection.  (Read 4506 times)

professen

Hello bugbear and fellow users,

I want to talk about Flatout 1. It is (together with NFS Porsche) my favorite arcade-racing game of all time. It (aswell as NFS porsche) has the exact right mix of arcade and simulation. The cars feel like real cars, though u are able to do more than u would be in a real car. It is hard to describe, but if u own a car and if u used it to have a little fun (without endagering anybody of course. Trackdays enable u to race, not the road). Drifting is an example, or the driving model in corners (if u r going too fast into a corner and u step off the acceleration paddle the back will kick out - even in a front wheel drive car).
As I said, it is very hard to describe. While I mostly enjoy simulations, arcade games just deliver more fun. Buying car parts as a motivation, crashing without having basically lost the game. It is just great fun.

So, I understand that an arcade driving model like in Flatout 2 (which I enjoyed, just not that much) appeals to a greater audience, but I would really like that arcade-sim mix of Flatout 1. I am a dedicated driver and I enjoy it, if the handling of a car in a game resembles driving.

So, why not have both. U had an expert driving mode in Flatout 1, which meant that I head to be a bit more cautious with the acceleration in tight corners.
Why not do the same with next car game? Give me an advance handling model (and physics!), please. No matter how the mix of the driving model will be, even if u ad a good portion of the sim aspect, but especially if u r going to base this game on an arcade driving model. Just add the option to choose, please.

PS: Physics is equally important. In Flatout 2, the objects do not seem to hold any weight.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:44:57 AM by professen »

NeatNit

You're in luck. They have already said that they are aiming for the Flatout 1 feel, much to my dismay. (There's a reason I don't like driving games except Flatout).
It's probably for the best, right?

professen

Wooohoo \o/

I was really looking forward for the game. Now even more.

Anyways: The option to choose a bit more realistic driving model would be always welcome. Just don't tie it to the (ingame) account like in Flatout 1, but ad it in the options menu (and when creating a multiplayer game). That would be a really nice option.

I really hope Bugbear will be succesful and able to to create a franchise which will lead them to publish themselves - that's why I payed on the website. I would love to see another classic rally game, too.

Since codemasters lost it, there are not too many good( = to my likings) racing game developers available. Especially for the Single Player Campaign, I like Simbin, but they really struggle to create an interesting single player modus.

Tapio Vierros

We are going to try and see if we can add some "helper" options that could be used to customize the driving model a little. However, most likely it's not going to be a switch between "arcade" and "super realistic". :P

Usmovers_02

While I prefer UC handling to FO1 BB has definitely earned my trust with handling models. It's not something that's easy to do right. Even big budget companies like Rockstar struggle quite a bit in this area but BB hasn't let me down yet.

Purple44

We are going to try and see if we can add some "helper" options that could be used to customize the driving model a little. However, most likely it's not going to be a switch between "arcade" and "super realistic". :P

This sound kinda like GRID 1 that had assists: traction, braking and stability, that you could turn ON or OFF. Is this what you mean by "helper"?

If Bugbear goes this route, please include an online host option to force assist OFF for all players in the lobby. GRID v1.0 did not have this online option. So players like me that use no assists offline and online was at a disadvantage to players that had all assists ON, online. We got Codemasters to add NO assists host option in the v1.2 patch.

Players would come into a no assists host and not realize assists had been turn Off, player would slam gas pedal to the floor at start of race and fish tail his F1 3000 car all over the place.  :o
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Usmovers_02

Well they could also make the assists slight disadvantages. Like if you use traction control you don't slip as easily but you don't achieve 100% acceleration. For stability control you're less likely to spin out but you lose slightly more speed through the corner. And automatic transmissions shift slightly too early.

Satsuma182

I can't see me being displeased with the driving model in the NCG as I have never had an issue with the driving on any of Bugbears games I have tried.

My only concern is the physics in relation to contact, on the original Flatout cars didn't really react to contact as well as they did in Ultimate carnage.

In Flatout Ultimate carnage you where able to latch on and pick up slower cars and spin them out with a well timed hit on the rear quarters. To someone like me who pays a lot of attention to such details it made a lot of difference as it was quite realistic I'm just not sure bugbear realised how well they had done it.

Its not an easy thing to do correctly but I'm hopeful bugbear can get it right again.

Usmovers_02

In my opinion BBs handling model has only gotten better with each new game. I don't think these improvements are accidental. BB knows what they're doing and while the driving may feel more like FO1 I expect contact will feel even better than it did in UC.

saku446

Well, im my opinion UC driving model sucked. As a sim gamer i would like to see more realistic driving model, but i know its not suitable for everyone. But still i want some realism, so the driving would feel more rewarding. Stuff like " braking too hard will cause brakes to lock, or too much gas migh tspin your car if you can't handle it etc.

Hopefully this game will have support for various wheels and pedals with H-shifters and clutches.

(i guess you don't understand my text at all, im not very good at english)

Satsuma182

Your English seems fine,

now that you mention it I wouldn't mind seeing brakes lock up and proper wheel spin as a result of too much power. I think their have been a few discussions on the topic already so it must be something a few people have though about.

I know one of the BB team recently said they where looking at 'helper settings' maybe those features could come as a result of having those settings turned off.

WolfSkyline

now that you mention it I wouldn't mind seeing brakes lock up and proper wheel spin as a result of too much power. I think their have been a few discussions on the topic already so it must be something a few people have though about.

It's not a sim racer :s it's an arcade all this doesn't belong here and shouldn't be mentioned for this game in my opinion :s
R.I.P Mathilde <3

Satsuma182

And why exactly must certain features be locked to specific genres?

Wheel spin is wheel spin, it doesn't have to define the game into a genre at all.

Flatout 1 had a decent level of wheel spin but gradually the feature faded through each game.

I don't think anybody is asking for a change from arcade style mechanics to a full simulation, they are just pointing out then even arcade titles can have repercussions for careless driving. You shouldn't be able to sit there with the throttle held down constantly and be able to navigate the course.

Grid 2 had that and it sucked.

Purple44

Wheel spin is wheel spin, it doesn't have to define the game into a genre at all.

Flatout 1 had a decent level of wheel spin but gradually the feature faded through each game.

I don't think anybody is asking for a change from arcade style mechanics to a full simulation, they are just pointing out then even arcade titles can have repercussions for careless driving. You shouldn't be able to sit there with the throttle held down constantly and be able to navigate the course.

GRID 1 succeeded by giving player an option, all assists ON ( more arcade ) or all assists OFF ( more sim, but not to simy ). I like both options online, did only assists OFF in career mode.  :)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

WolfSkyline

1)  I never said anything but my own opinion on the "sim like" ideas
2) Grid 2 had a weak storyline, and the online is rubbish to a certain point where it's tier 1 VW tier 2 nismo/RS? and so on, a car that beats all the others by a mile
R.I.P Mathilde <3