Author Topic: 20 car derbys online, 12 players, 8 bots?? is possible?  (Read 3182 times)

Purple44

Just came up with this idea doing another post for another thread and maybe getting to play online with bots with Gas Guzzler Extreme.

I would love to do 20 "player" derbys online, but I think it be tough for Bugbear to do 20 real players online and not have lag and some player's computer might have trouble handling it.

But if you only did 12 real players online and then let host add up to 8 extra AI cars, would this make it possible to have 20 car derbys online?

Game would not have to transfer information between 20 different online computers, would only be 12 computers connected. Players with wimpier computers could run with lower resolution ( 1024x768 ), AA and other graphics settings so not to be laggy online. That what I did with GRID 1 until I upgraded to some better hardware.

This also would allow online tournaments to have 20 car derbys and 12 car races online without having to drop players when tournament goes from 20 car derby to 12 car race. :)

If by some miracle Bugbear can pull this idea off, 20 car derbys online, would like to suggest one of the AI bots be name Captain Crunch after one of the top derby drivers here at Yakima Speedway. All the other derby guys wanted to take out Captain Crunch first so he would not win another derby!!
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Iwasawa

I think actually bots are harder to handle than normal players, because somebody have to sync the other vehicles too, the server or random player. Its easier to use 20 player vehicles, but i think 12 is fair.

SpeedDevil

Just came up with this idea doing another post for another thread and maybe getting to play online with bots with Gas Guzzler Extreme.

I would love to do 20 "player" derbys online, but I think it be tough for Bugbear to do 20 real players online and not have lag and some player's computer might have trouble handling it.

But if you only did 12 real players online and then let host add up to 8 extra AI cars, would this make it possible to have 20 car derbys online?

Game would not have to transfer information between 20 different online computers, would only be 12 computers connected. Players with wimpier computers could run with lower resolution ( 1024x768 ), AA and other graphics settings so not to be laggy online. That what I did with GRID 1 until I upgraded to some better hardware.

This also would allow online tournaments to have 20 car derbys and 12 car races online without having to drop players when tournament goes from 20 car derby to 12 car race. :)

If by some miracle Bugbear can pull this idea off, 20 car derbys online, would like to suggest one of the AI bots be name Captain Crunch after one of the top derby drivers here at Yakima Speedway. All the other derby guys wanted to take out Captain Crunch first so he would not win another derby!!

So each of the 12 players computer would have to handle his own 8 AI's? That would make for some pretty weird situations since the AI won't act the same on each computer nor will the physics :P Besides I don't think the problem lies with the interconnections between all the players, but pure calculation power to handle all those cars.

IF the host has a behemoth of a computer and would handle all the simulations for every car and the players only send their control input then maybe, but I highly doubt it works this way at all xD

Iwasawa

It could work, its CAN work if you write the script correctly. But there can be problems with other players lagg. If a 200 ping player sync a vehicle, that will have 200 ping too and that will lagg like the player.
Im working on a script like this for MTA-sa.

Purple44

I think actually bots are harder to handle than normal players, because somebody have to sync the other vehicles too, the server or random player. Its easier to use 20 player vehicles, but i think 12 is fair.

The 8 AI bots would be track just like the other players and this info would be pass amongst the 12 players.

What this idea does is save the game from having to keep 20 computers connected, game only has to worry about 12.  Bugbear has said they looking into having AI bots online, if they are successful, then maybe Bugbear can go a step further and give us 20 car derbys online. :)

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,1224.msg11870.html#msg11870

We have been looking into adding AI in multiplayer races, but it's not as simple as it sounds. It's something that we'd love to do as well, but we'll see whether it will be feasible, it really depends on how much work is needed.

Ranking multiplayer players based solely on their skill won't work because they could still be using very different cars, making the match extremely unbalanced. That said, multiplayer rankings and perhaps even badges that you could brag with sound pretty interesting, hmm...

Thanks all for your feedback, we appreciate!
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Mopower

While I would love to see this many cars in a derby, I am a little concerned about processing issues lol

X

It'd be funny to see community member names implemented, possibly :)

But I like that idea. Bots online could reduce the necessary power (in what department, I don't know.) but still add players to lobby if game going slow. (I think they shouldn't count on the player list, though, just add another category for 'Bots: on/off')
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:59:08 AM by X »

Usmovers_02

The more the merrier! I don't care how it gets done but more cars = more carnage = more fun!

dbs213

+1
Maybe another use of the "name in the game" pre-order bonus. But then anyone can settle for an option of naming AI bots (for both offline and online matches) for fun.
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

sewer56lol

The more the merrier! I don't care how it gets done but more cars = more carnage = more fun!

You know what they say right? THE MORE THE MERRIER !!!

conso1727

+1
Maybe another use of the "name in the game" pre-order bonus. But then anyone can settle for an option of naming AI bots (for both offline and online matches) for fun.
I'd definitively like to name the bots in the way I prefer, and also to customize their behaiviour, it may lead to some interesting situations.

Usmovers_02

+1
I'd definitively like to name the bots in the way I prefer, and also to customize their behaiviour, it may lead to some interesting situations.

Being able to name bots is easily one of my favorite features in the game Whiplash (aka fatal racing). 16 cars in that ancient graphics pushing for it's time game. And you got to choose who you were smashing into!! Also, Bugbear, the track design in Whiplash is a GREAT place to get ideas for NCGs bonus tracks.