Author Topic: Volkswagen Beetle!!!  (Read 27482 times)

Tero

Like people already said, creating a VW Beetle but not have it look like Beetle for copyright/trademark reasons, it would not be Beetle anymore. The reason we could use it in the Retro Demo is that it wasn't published let alone priced product. But for the same reason we didn't include it to FO1, because FO1 didn't have copyrighted cars.

Majatek

What you can have, however, is a VW Beetle look-alike (ie: one that has roughly the same shape but differing detail), correct? There are plenty of vehicles out there that look similar to the Beetle, but aren't the VW Beetle.
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

Zeron

Like people already said, creating a VW Beetle but not have it look like Beetle for copyright/trademark reasons, it would not be Beetle anymore. The reason we could use it in the Retro Demo is that it wasn't published let alone priced product. But for the same reason we didn't include it to FO1, because FO1 didn't have copyrighted cars.
Of course, but a look-alike Beetle can be made, just like all the vehicles in the game are based on real life cars.

The following is from GTA V, where all the cars are ficticious but still modified versions of the real life vehicles, this one is a Baja VW Beetle and it looks a lot like the real thing while not breaking any copyright or patent rules:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:06:00 PM by Zeron »

sam223

A bit of food for thought.

Should small cars like this and the current in game fiat feature a full rollcage and almost full car un-bendable area or should they use a smaller cage so that you can see more of the damage system in all its glory?
Because there isnt really a lot of room between the back of the cage (rear seats) and rear of the car to move in comparison to a saloon or estate.
Same goes for big cars aswell really,but thats a different story.

Personally this is why i prefer to watch unlimited bangers in real life over smaller stuff, because theres more car to bend on a booted saloon than a little hatch back.Interested to see what other peoples thoughts are. Do you care about how smashed up a car can get or just driving it?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Speedevil

I just care about driving cars, actually. Of course it's nice to see them bend, but I really like fictionnal cars in games. I know there's never going to be a licensed Ford Taunus in any game and being able to drive one soon is nice.

About the Beetle (or Käffer like it should be called :P ), I don't see why it would have royalties issues. As long as it doesn't have a Volkswagen badge, there won't be any issues. Just look at all this.

sam223

I just care about driving cars, actually. Of course it's nice to see them bend, but I really like fictionnal cars in games. I know there's never going to be a licensed Ford Taunus in any game and being able to drive one soon is nice.

About the Beetle (or Käffer like it should be called :P ), I don't see why it would have royalties issues. As long as it doesn't have a Volkswagen badge, there won't be any issues. Just look at all this.
The taunus coupe is nice (and reasonably sized),not something you see very often in the UK, we got the cortina mk3 instead but the dutch fetch them over to race race in the UK occasionally.Kinda outcast really though like the cortinas now unless racing against other old under 2L's.As too weak/slow and small vs big yanks,jags,volvos, 3.0L+ stuff and the same vs modern under 2.0L's mondeos etc.
Not as big or as pretty as the granada coupe either imo (non-UK coke bottle coupe and 3L v6 mk1 being my favourites) . A bit late now i guess.

By fictional i assume you mean real styled cars?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:33:52 AM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Frisker

Yeah. I never saw anyone complaining about this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140313154735/gtawiki/images/e/e1/Tailgater-GTA5-Front-Michael.png
Nor this: http://blog.auto-selection.com/wp-content/gallery/gta-5/l-audi-r8-dans-le-jeu-video-gta-v-10807735syoia.jpg

2 unlicensed cars in GTA V, but I always refer them as Audi.. for some reasons. No one ever complained, as far as I know. So I want Beetle without the VW logo.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Zeron

Yeah. I never saw anyone complaining about this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140313154735/gtawiki/images/e/e1/Tailgater-GTA5-Front-Michael.png
Nor this: http://blog.auto-selection.com/wp-content/gallery/gta-5/l-audi-r8-dans-le-jeu-video-gta-v-10807735syoia.jpg

2 unlicensed cars in GTA V, but I always refer them as Audi.. for some reasons. No one ever complained, as far as I know. So I want Beetle without the VW logo.

But attention, there are some slight modifications. Having the real thing without the logo would put Bugbear on hot water, they need to change some other minor things besides just the logo.

Frisker

But attention, there are some slight modifications. Having the real thing without the logo would put Bugbear on hot water, they need to change some other minor things besides just the logo.

Yeah, of course minor modifications. But what really opened my mouth, when I first started to play GTA V, I noticed that Audi R8 lookalike had almost Audi logo, for a moment I thought it was the real thing! But when I looked closer, I noticed it's only half of the real thing :D
So it's possible to do some pretty looking vehicles in game, take a look at some Saints Row cars, some really look like real cars, but none are licensed. But it's still better to make some changes, just to be sure of course.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Tero

Please note that Rockstar and Deep Silver are multimillion companies that can risk the lawsuits for copyright infringements or they could've paid some goodwill money to not be sued after promising to make minor changes to the models. We don't have that luxury so we need to try to steer clear from anything that might bring us expensive trouble later on. So please don't compare what these big companies have made because it has no effect on what we at Bugbear can or can't do, we are in totally different ballgame being small developer.

Zeron

Please note that Rockstar and Deep Silver are multimillion companies that can risk the lawsuits for copyright infringements or they could've paid some goodwill money to not be sued after promising to make minor changes to the models. We don't have that luxury so we need to try to steer clear from anything that might bring us expensive trouble later on. So please don't compare what these big companies have made because it has no effect on what we at Bugbear can or can't do, we are in totally different ballgame being small developer.
The copyright rules apply to free official expansion packs?

sam223

What about long defunct companies.Do licensing rights still apply?

Jowett (Ceased operating 1955) Javellin
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:52:15 PM by sam223 »

Zeron

It's not the same :/

Speedevil

If somebody still owns the license, they do.

sam223

If somebody still owns the license, they do.

Jowett are completely gone though i believe,they didn't get bought out.