Author Topic: Bugbear Retro Demo 2002 - installing and running on WinXP  (Read 1217 times)

Purple44

I read AltS7 was having troubles with the Retro demo running on WinXP, I figure I should give it a try on my 2 computers that have XP.

I can't get it working properly   :(
All I see after launch is white square and after some time this

Tried to re-download/install game, driver rollback (from 331.65 to 314.21), disabled options, run in windowed mode (through Ultimate ASI Loader). Nothing helped.
Game folder has 189 files and weighs 104 MB, OS is WinXP and GPU is Nvidia GTX 650.

First up is my first computer to run Flatout 1. A P4 with a RAEDON X850 video card now and WinXP service pack 3 2002. I copy over the Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe over from my second computer where I had download file to. I start exe and it start unpacking the files. When it get to Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe, install stop with an error.

I'm thinking maybe I got a bad download, so I download Retro demo file directly to my P4 computer and try again. Same thing happens. So I move on to next WinXP computer.

My next WinXP computer is my last gaming computer I retired last year ( dual boots XP and Vista ). A Quad 6600, ATI 4870 video card - driver details 8.712 3/2/2010, AMD Catalyst 11.10 drivers, WinXP

This time had no troubles unpacking demo exe file. Go to start demo and get this error:

I go too "Add or Remove Program" in control settings and see I only have v2.0 of Net Framework installed:

So I go here to find v4.0:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

But I saw lower on the page there a v4.5, so I downloaded v4.5, try to install it and get this:

So I go back and download v4.0, try yo install and get this error:

So use google again and I go here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=32

Install Windows Imaging Component, give Net Framework v4.0 a try again and it install this time. I reboot computer to get a fresh WinXP and double click Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe and demo start up.  :)  :)

Be sure to check the settings in setup window and see if they are right or tweak to better settings. The Aspect Rate was set wrong for my CRT monitor, setup window pick 16:9 instead of 4:3. But maybe that happen because my second monitor is a  LCD 16:9 monitor.

While writing this post, I tested setup window to see how to bring it up again if I want to re-tweak the settings. Found setup window come up ever time you start demo. In doing this testing, found demo was starting in second monitor, not the main monitor that pick in display settings.

I deleted \data\data\device.cfg file ( like we did with FO1 and FO2 to bring up setup window again ) and redo setup and demo start in my main monitor again, exit demo, start demo again, demo start in second monitor. I tried some things and still demo only start in main monitor after I delete device.cfg file.  :(

Maybe I will have to write a bat file to start the game with a new device.cfg file ever time. If I can remember how ( Google ), been a while.  :P

Anybody else have this problem with 2 monitor setup?
Flatout Joint, where the mods are.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660, Sound Blaster Recon, Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

@AltS7

I don't know if anything posted above will help you out with your problem and XP.

You have a pretty new video card ( Nvidia GTX 650 ) and drivers, I wonder how well they work with XP??

Are you only running WinXP on that gaming computer? No Win7?

I got 660 ( 314.22 drivers ) and Win7 and Retro demo run fine except for menu that shows what key does what in demo, goes by too fast. So I Fraps the start of race and got a pic of KB menu:

Worth trying out some the different camera angles.

dbs213

@AltS7

I don't know if anything posted above will help you out with your problem and XP.

You have a pretty new video card ( Nvidia GTX 650 ) and drivers, I wonder how well they work with XP??

Are you only running WinXP on that gaming computer? No Win7?

I got 660 ( 314.22 drivers ) and Win7 and Retro demo run fine except for menu that shows what key does what in demo, goes by too fast. So I Fraps the start of race and got a pic of KB menu:

Worth trying out some the different camera angles.

Sucks that there isn't any look back button...
"I don't need people to help me grow up. I drink milk." Ruby Rose, RWBY
"You wanna end up in the trunk of this thing?!" Trevor Philips, GTA V

Purple44

Sucks that there isn't any look back button...

Could tweak the carmera.ini file for each car and make your own look back cam. Just decide what number key to use.

Camera4 = {
  Fov = 77.400002,
  Stiffness = {
  },
  Rotation = {
  },
  Position = {
  },
  Locks = 0,
  Mode = 0,
  Flags = 0,
  Offset = {
  },
  Type = 1,
}

Camera7 = {
  Fov = 77.400002,
  Stiffness = {
  },
  Rotation = {
  },
  Position = {
  },
  Locks = 0,
  Mode = 2,
  Flags = 0,
  Type = 1,
  Offset = {
  },
}

Pick a cam that look back at car then just move cam forward until it look behind the car and adjust cam height. Would be where I would start. No time for modding for me, got to many posts to do!!!!

AltS7

Purple, thanks for trying to help.
.Net Framework 4 is needed only for 'Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe' inside root folder (that shows NCG advertising). You can  succesfully run the game without DotNet 4 using 'Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe' inside data folder.

Batch file to delete "device.cfg" is pretty simple. Place it in data folder and make shortcut for desktop
Code: [Select]
Del Data\device.cfg
"Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe"
But this batch will have cmd window until you close prototype. For some reasons command when cmd doen't wait for program & close refuses to work
start "Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe"
But there's another, better way to make it silent.
Create empty text file, change extension to "vbs", paste this text data and and place file into data folder
On Error Resume Next
CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").DeleteFile "data\device.cfg"
CreateObject("WScript.Shell").EXEC("Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe")

GTX 650 runs fine on XP in games, I didn't face such problems before with this card. Only problems I had was with video. Perhaps vsync is broken. Video renderer 'Madvr' have fps drops (worked fine with Radeon HD 3850). VMR9 lags too unless I disable vsync or set "Alternative Vsync" in MPC-HC so it's not really problem. Also flash videos lacks vsync & some browser games may lag a little. Video recording also isn't the best (have to lower resolution and limit fps to avoid fps drops) but it's probably more hardware-related thing.
In short, all problems are pretty minor, except problem with prototype & "Tough Trucks" which I tested recently. This game have exactly the same problem on my system (run good with Radeon HD 3850 512 MB)

Purple44

Batch file to delete "device.cfg" is pretty simple. Place it in data folder and make shortcut for desktop
Del Data\device.cfg
But this batch will have cmd window until you close prototype. For some reasons command when cmd doen't wait for program & close refuses to work
start "Bugbear Retro Demo 2002.exe"
But there's another, better way to make it silent.
Create empty text file, change extension to "vbs", paste this text data and and place file into data folder
On Error Resume Next

Thanks for code, got question thou, what is name of .vbs file? device.vbs?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:56:46 PM by Purple44 »

AltS7

You can name it whatever you like. All that matters is its location and extension.
-------
Already unsuccessfully tried driver downgrade, GPU ID faker (using enb d3d8->d3d9 convertor + d3d9 fix for Fallout New Vegas), some settings in 3danalyzer.
Probably only devs or NVidia can fix it :(

Purple44

I gave it a try:

On Error Resume Next

Name file device.vbs, tried this file under both \data ( \data\data ) folders. vbs file failed to delete device.cfg

So gave the bat file a try:

Del Data\device.cfg

This bat file did the trick. Yes CMD dos window show up behind setup windpw, but it get close after demo is close, sp I'm good with that. Now to make shortcut to bat file.

Again thanks for the help.

Gas Guzzler Extreme Saturday, AltS7?