Author Topic: Turning Bronze into Gold  (Read 8370 times)

SunnyNewEngland

A little challenge for everyone!  Who can take a Bronze class car all the way from the bronze class races up through the gold class races, winning gold in each and every race... even the bonus races?

I've only been playing for a year and a half and I've only managed to do this with the Bullet.  Anyone else who can do this?  Pro racers? Regular folk racers? Longtime developers?

Beating the game with a Bronze class car seems like a mighty challenge, and learning how many other FlatOut fans have the skills and stubbornness to pull it off hints at the kind of online races we can all look forward to soon in the nextcargame. 

So, who's beat the game with the Pepper?  And who is willing to try?

St. Jimmy

I think I can beat silver with Pepper because I already beat some silver races with it. Though not sure about the gold or bonuses yet. I'll take this challenge one day.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

AltS7

Is nitro acceptable?  :)

SunnyNewEngland

I think I can beat silver with Pepper because I already beat some silver races with it. Though not sure about the gold or bonuses yet. I'll take this challenge one day.

That's what I like to hear.  It's pleasing to outmaneuver cars that should be faster than you.

Pepper, Blocker, Grinder, Blockhead, Bullet.  Anyone finish silver class or even gold with these underdogs?

SunnyNewEngland

Is nitro acceptable?  :)

Nitro's acceptable.

With the Bullet I only use nitro in three races: Bay Challenge, Finchley Challenge, and Gravel Supersmash.  Those have got to be the hardest races in the game.  You can probably throw Fairgrass Challenge in there too; ~200 horsepower versus 300 horsepower cars on pavement just really stacks the odds up against you. 

But that's all personal challenge.  If you can do it all even with nitro I'd love to hear it, too. 

RacerBest

Is buying parts allowed? Or do you run stock cars?

JonasNL

Currently fighting my way through silver class with Grinder. It's got some engine upgrades, 205 bhp. I never touch the nitro though. And of course it's in professional handling mode.

SunnyNewEngland

Is buying parts allowed? Or do you run stock cars?

You can get gold in all the bronze class races with stock cars.  Woodland Mayhem is the only race that gives me any trouble.. Frank Benton in his Grinder and Sue O'Neill in her Blockhead are the troublesome ones, really.   :P

Silver class is where I start buying parts.  I try to keep it minimal just to see how much I can squeeze out of my car; there's something fun in that. 

And when gold class rolls around I fully upgrade for the last few races, the Bay Challenge and Finchley Challenge and Gravel Supersmash because those are silly hard.

Basically I like to make the most out of the least.  It's sporting, it's harrowing, and it's fun.  And I don't know if anyone has ever won all the races in a Bronze class car, except for the Bullet. 

SunnyNewEngland

Currently fighting my way through silver class with Grinder. It's got some engine upgrades, 205 bhp. I never touch the nitro though. And of course it's in professional handling mode.

This is excellent. This is sportsmanship.  I look forward to perhaps running into you online in nextcargame.   ;D

Good mention of professional handling mode. I don't know if "normal" handling gives an advantage.  I don't think I could race in that mode, but I wouldn't fault anyone for doing so.  This goes for automatic transmission, too.  I think Bronze class cars may need all the advantage they can get for winning gold in Gold class.

St. Jimmy

If you can beat Glod Bay Challenge with pepper then you can beat everything. 4th place was max what I could get.
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

SunnyNewEngland

If you can beat Glod Bay Challenge with pepper then you can beat everything. 4th place was max what I could get.

This is very impressive. My hat's off to you.  I'm inspired to give it another effort with the Pepper.

Did you get gold in all the other races?

St. Jimmy

This is very impressive. My hat's off to you.  I'm inspired to give it another effort with the Pepper.

Did you get gold in all the other races?
I tested 5 maps and I won those but that Bay Challenge I can't. AI doesn't make any mistake in that map and too much asphalt and straight road.
Important thing to remember is that Ai doesn't make mistakes if it is alone so you better be the first one after the first few corners or hope that other AI makes the leader to make a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:54:18 PM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

err

pepper with no upgrades - 3rd place best, very much up to luck

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:59:24 PM by err »

St. Jimmy

pepper with no upgrades - 3rd place best, very much up to luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCV4TINSApE

Got myself 2nd with upgrades. Still left behind about 14s after the first :P

Btw your Pepper is upgraded. My Pepper goes as fast as yours with full upgrades. You could've won that even.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:32:50 AM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

St. Jimmy

OH YEAH I WON THE BAY CHALLENGE WITH PEPPER!
Thanks err for the vid. Took some hints and got myself first in the second lap thanks to the nitros and dirty manover. I got it recorded so I'll upload it tomorrow. All the other races are way more easier.
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR