Author Topic: Turning Bronze into Gold  (Read 9728 times)

Flame Coyote

i almost trough gold with the Grinder on Professional handling :P

Date Registered: December 07, 2013, 03:25:01 PM

SunnyNewEngland

i almost trough gold with the Grinder on Professional handling :P
That's pretty damn impressive, Cpt. Teewurst!  The Grinder's a slippery son of a gun. Do you know what we call a big sandwich full of meat here in New England? A Grinder. You keep it up and show that minced meat pork and bacon sandwich on wheels who's its Captain!

KingOfTheCakes

I remember beating every gold and silver race once with a fully upgraded Grinder (back when I played this game constantly!). It was and still one of my favorite cars in the game.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

WorldofBay

don't know if there are still people playing flatout 1, but since i read this thread on sunday, i'm trying...

i took the blocker and made bronze without upgrades, silver with only few ones (most standard or nothing at all), only the fucking bay cup needed some more.
many gold tracks are way easier than that race so i tried it about a hundred times to just get a 3rd place by luck for trying gold with that low-upgraded car but didn't get it.
do you have problems there too or am i doing something wrong?

nevertheless i'm now in gold cup hunting medals with blocker, got half of the tracks already, let's see if i can get the hard ones you mentioned (finchley, bay and fairgrass challenge)

biggest prob i have with the blocker are the AI suicide bombers that push me off the track at any cost  >:(
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

WorldofBay

got first in fairgrass challenge, first in finchley challenge which was a lucky one. katie wanted to pass me in last lap on that fast part but as i kept pushing her car we both crashed in the timber truck. we were far ahead so i could reset and win the race. 8)

bay challenge 2nd because i was too stupid to drive it clean to the end, crashed in second-to-last corner and lost my first place. :'(

hardest challenge in that blocker is gravel supersmash where i don't even get a 3rd rank til now.

but don't mistake me, i needed many attempts for that bay challenge (and also the other ones mentioned), never got it again to first place in lap 3 since that  :-X crash...
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

SunnyNewEngland

don't know if there are still people playing flatout 1, but since i read this thread on sunday, i'm trying...

i took the blocker and made bronze without upgrades, silver with only few ones (most standard or nothing at all), only the fucking bay cup needed some more.
many gold tracks are way easier than that race so i tried it about a hundred times to just get a 3rd place by luck for trying gold with that low-upgraded car but didn't get it.
do you have problems there too or am i doing something wrong?

nevertheless i'm now in gold cup hunting medals with blocker, got half of the tracks already, let's see if i can get the hard ones you mentioned (finchley, bay and fairgrass challenge)

biggest prob i have with the blocker are the AI suicide bombers that push me off the track at any cost  >:(

reinstalled flatout after reading your post this weekend. started playing with the blocker.

bronze class was a breeze; gold in each race - no upgrades, no nitro.

now silver class is tough. so far i've got 2 1st place, 1 2nd, and the rest are 3rd, but i can't beat the fairgrass cup.  i started using nitro, still can't beat it.  i really, really would like to beat it without upgrades so i can see how far the blocker can go in gold class with no upgrades. 

this is the great thing about wreckfest, we'll be upgrading and downgrading c class cars as we see fit, and taking them as far as we wish.

all right, you want to know about the fucking bay cup? i'll tell you about that fucker. :D
i restarted that race maybe 50 times getting, at best, 5th place several times. then i thought about it and remembered i was at such a deficit in my little old blocker that there can be no shame in taking shortcuts (not in the silver class races and especially not in the gold class). so i started cutting through the pit area - it runs parallel to the straight on which the start/finish line sits, just cut left a little sooner than you normally would and then use the ramp to jump over the barrier and back onto the track - and ended up coming in third, easily.

but i think this reveals the rubberbanding in flatout - which i continue to think is pleasantly subtle. in my previous 50 tries i'd gotten faster total times and had overall cleaner races when i came in 5th, but with the shortcut, a slower time and a sloppier race garnered me third. so maybe it unveils the strings being pulled in the background or maybe it just showcases the variable uniqueness of each race. either way the shortcut works.

so now i'm at a crossroads: do i buy a turbocharger to beat fairgrass cup or do i keep banging my head against the steering wheel while trying to win with no upgrades?
either way i need to shore up my other wins in silver class and turn all those 3rd place finished into 1sts. maybe i'll have such a time attempting that that i'll upgrade out of sheer frustration, because some of those 3rd place wins could easily have been 1st or 2nd, but some... i dunno, even getting 3rd was tough.

so that's that.
how did fairgrass cup treat you? i figure you'd upgraded a bit by then.. which upgrades do you think would be minimally sufficient?

hadn't played flatout in a while, so thanks for posting and bringing inspiration!

WorldofBay

i upgraded first engine upgrade for the first pinewood and as i remember some tire upgrades later on.
loved it how the blocker jumps perfect on pinewood crashup.

after upgrading a turbocharger the blocker startet bugging. it was visually fully upgraded from that point (190 hp) but in the race it wans't. one time i saw a different strength of about ~170hp then again 190 all the time. but additional engine upgrades made it faster.
and i never used blocker before in any of my profiles, so no possibility of that type of bug.

i never used any cuts except on fairgrass cup. also i rarely used brakes since i made a "no brakes challenge" one day after which i was used to not braking at all.

i got to gold with turbocharger and first upgrade on many parts (not all and nowhere more than first) but i had the whole silver class on 1st then. gold class has some easy races but never underestimate them. if you lose control on that blocker after you bought some enigne upgrades on professional handling you may end up turning 720 degrees around before regaining control. especially on hayville. (which is the easiest map)

try whitefish lake and red pine river without brakes or nitro :D
then whattahoo town and hayville, too.
it's both possible with blocker but in one or two corners brakes are very useful.

i still have problems in gold class on gravel supersmash and bay challenge, both 2nd.

bonus class:
blocker is fastest car on super roundabout if fully upgraded, so no prob there. crash alley of course easy and circle of eight too.
i got a 1:22:51 in demolition sandpit which is quite luck and a 2:47:48 in super mud mayhem. so although blocker is a bad derby car already in bronze you can compete with gold and silver cars :P
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

SunnyNewEngland

fairgrass cup proved to be impossible so i picked up a turbocharger.  still couldn't beat fairgrass cup.  for now i've put it down, i'll pick it back up when i'm feeling it.  sometimes the mood isn't right for replaying the same track 50 times just to win by a hair.  :P

i'll try the no brakes challenge when i get back to into it.  downshifting is pretty effective in lieu of braking, so with that and controlled slides i should get far. nitro's a no-no in general; i used it on fairgrass cup to see if i could turn the tide and reach gold class without upgrades.  wins with nitro aren't legit until the race is just about impossible, like the most difficult gold class races.  shortcuts, on the other hand, i use without shame - they're risky enough and wear out my suspension.  but maybe i haven't been hard enough on myself !  :D

WorldofBay

"no brakes challenge" on keyboard is trying to win with only the three arrow keys left, right, up (driving backwards and resetting is sure allowed but i don't reset anyways if i don't have to)

it's not that hard, really, even if it's like i did with the only upgrades allowed tires and chassis. but no brakes challenge of course includes derbies ;)

i've tried it because i often heard people whining about the arcade flatout2 physics making driving so much easier than in flatout1. but in flatout2 it's impossible without brakes while flatout1 even supports it in derbies. also, every single tarmac race is a fullspeed track. not even no brakes but also no release.
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

KENT

OH YEAH I WON THE BAY CHALLENGE WITH PEPPER!
Thanks err for the vid. Took some hints and got myself first in the second lap thanks to the nitros and dirty manover. I got it recorded so I'll upload it tomorrow. All the other races are way more easier.
I'm play flatout!!How do you play ??

WorldofBay

digging out that thread again 8)

3 days ago i started a new blocker profile now with easy handling. bronze easy as always, in silver the fairgrass cup was a tough one and i upgraded a lot for it, rest of silver was not hard.

but i did it in 3rd with no or almost no upgrades, so i could move on to the easy snow and hayville maps in gold.

i got it to win almost every race with only both tier1 engine upgrades (and none of the tierless), but everything else upgraded.
only tracks i couldn't do with that were fairgrass challenge and bay challenge (yes i got finchley challenge with that car), where speed just wasn't enough to keep the others behind.
got bay challenge in the first successful start (leading after turn 2) straight to the win
fairgrass challenge needed a bit more love but with the nitro from under the bridge i got it after few tries to reach to the top in first lap and defend until finish.
so basically i did the "turning bronze into gold challenge" in three days with normal handling while i still can't get it on professional with the same car since half a year...

talking about bay cup:
i got third with no upgrades now using nitro but no cuts. rubberbanding held all opponents close to me so i just tried to collect full nitro in the first three laps and use the full bar at lap 4 at three locations: before and after shicane and right after hairpin. worked to get third place, with hundreds of tries maybe first but i preferred a little upgrade then.

so all i can say about this challenge (with blocker) is that it is waaaaay easier with normal handling as the AI won't just kick you off track due to your low weight. i even was able to push katie's bonecracker in the wall several times or keep my line when she came om the inside :o
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.