Author Topic: Sneak Peak v2.0 Released!  (Read 33938 times)

NeatNit

There are many things to do, but they're impossible to enjoy - the performance has been destroyed!! My framerate drops like crazy. It's significantly better if I run the game with 0 AI but still noticeably worse than running the previous version with FULL settings AND 24 AI cars!! Disabling AI in the menu has no effect.

KazzyMac

It runs fine for me, albeit I'm using a bit more CPU than I used to.

My guess is Bugbear might be able to see what's causing the performance drops and fix it - either for another updated sneak peek or for the alpha build. I haven't noticed any performance issues other than the 'too many particles close to the camera' lag, although going through the grinders now doesn't lag me like it did previously.

I've also noticed now that the AI have taken a liking for the wooden sheds and the ski bunker, instead of the grinder. I guess they got bored of it =P
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

JonasNL

I've said it before but I'll say it agian. Although NCG is still in development, it's massive fun already! Truly amazing. I can't believe it runs so smooth with so much physics stuff and destruction going on. Not even a single framedrop. Keep up the good work guys!

Serenya

I guess the performance drop is likely caused by the increased amount of the stuff on the map, but that haven't affected to my over-two-year-old whip since AFAIK it's still the average age of the computers Bugbear is developing the game on. I guess it doesn't matter that my CPU is AMD's six-core Phenom II 1100T because today's games barely exploit even four cores. And since it's the matter of more stuff on the map, for the graphics I have got a clocked GTX 660 which is pretty average card in computers these days.

The only little disturbing thing I have noticed is that the framerate drops to ~30 fps after playing some time, and restarting from the menu doesn't fix that, I need to exit the demo and start it over again.
System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO

KazzyMac

The only little disturbing thing I have noticed is that the framerate drops to ~30 fps after playing some time, and restarting from the menu doesn't fix that, I need to exit the demo and start it over again.
That's been a common problem since the first tech demo, I think it's the game's vsync getting confused due to when the frame rate drops too much.

BTW you want a real test of the performance? Spam black holes at the start to catch all the AI. My game went from 120fps to 5fps. ;) My GTX660 getting pushed to its poor little limits, haha.
My Lam0r Rig:

Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)

St. Jimmy

Don't use vsync. Use only Adaptive vsync from Nvidia control panel. Normal vsync does exactly that.
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Serenya

BTW you want a real test of the performance? Spam black holes at the start to catch all the AI. My game went from 120fps to 5fps. ;) My GTX660 getting pushed to its poor little limits, haha.

Actually it was already enough to drive through the wide crusher with all the AI cars around, that made my card to push over 100% power limit and still the framerate dropped to ~10 or something for a second. :P

Don't use vsync. Use only Adaptive vsync from Nvidia control panel. Normal vsync does exactly that.

Have to try, thanks for the advice!

Going to build a totally new computer soon, with i5 4670K and a clocked GTX 770 or then I wait for the 800 series to look if the 860 will be better berforming. Hope that Bugbear will add some nice ultra textures to the Early Access to test that. :)
System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO

NeatNit

I think the performance issue is caused by my somewhat weak CPU. It's just so sad that the original Sneak Peek ran PERFECTLY but this one runs so poorly... That puts things in perspective.

In v2.0, even if I do nothing I get down to ~40-20 FPS when the AI crash into each other too much. As I said in v1.0 (didn't download 1.1) the only thing that would cause a framerate drop is the crusher, for the reason KazzyMac mentioned.

KazzyMac

Adaptive vsync isn't working for me for some strange reason.

But, I'm still getting 130fps without vsync, and going through the grinder drops me to 55fps when before it used to drop me to 30-40. I'm confused about why people are getting such a performance-drop when for me the performance seems to be on average better. :/
My Lam0r Rig:

Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)

Servicehans

Hi,

As much as i like the new Sneak Peak, i am also amongst the ones that had a rather severe performance drop.  The Fps dropped from 100-110 to 60. In version 1 my gpu had an average load of 80-95%. Now it starts at 55% dropping down to 25-30% when crashing into those houses. That of course leads to very bad fps.
I think the game is overloading the cpu, which seems to be responsible for collisions. Im using a hd 7950 with a q6600 at 3,0ghz.
System:
Q6600 @ 3,0ghz
4Gb DDR 2
Radeon HD7950 @ 925mhz

xweyn

awsome, fun, realistic.

Its really great! good work continue!!! (and early soon is a great news!)

NeatNit

I have a Q6600 as well, maybe it's a problem with that CPU specifically?

I'd like to put all technical details aside for a moment though, and talk about other things... Was releasing another sneak peek a smart move? It would seem to me that it wasn't. The first sneak peek did an awesome job proving to the world what Bugbear is capable of and intend to introduce with this game. It threw away everybody's fears and doubts about it. It didn't need a sequel!

The 2.0 version feels more unfinished than 1.0, with many of the features broken, or poorly thought-out, or badly implemented. It feels rushed.

Janne Suur-Näkki

We are aware of the performance fluctuations, and we already have quite a few ideas on how to further optimize the performance. For first aid, you could try lowering the shadow quality one or two notches, and see if that helps. If you care to, please report back if lowering boosted the performance, we would be interested to hear your feedback on the issue. Thanks!

Like most of you guys have already noticed, the 2.0 version also includes the latest enhancements and changes we have made to car physics and damage model. Chiefly, the front of the car and the wheels will now behave more realistically when exposed to damage, and the panels will get loose or torn off in a more realistic manner.