Author Topic: It still works after all this time!  (Read 13794 times)

psychicparrot

Fantastic game that still works even on Windows 7! No patches required, just install and race!

My copy looks like this:

And a reminder of what games used to have before overly long tutorials bored everyone into submission by teaching us how to press up, left and right:

A manual!! A proper manual full of stuff about the cars, driving, how to play etc.!! :)

Any Bugbear chaps got any 'making of' info on this game?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:42:24 AM by psychicparrot »
Jeff W. Murray
@PsychicParrot

Twitter: https://twitter.com/psychicparrot
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/psychicparrot

Tommi Tissari

Oh yeah!  8)
Retired Bugganeer!

Jukka Merikanto

Any Bugbear chaps got any 'making of' info on this game?

Don't have any making of materials for Rally Trophy since I joined Bugbear after it was released but at the time there was fierce competition going on between Rally Trophy and Colin McRae Rally and we still have this banner on our office wall :)

Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

psychicparrot

That's fantastic!

I guess Colin McRae Rally would have been flying high around that time, with the sequel still on the horizon. Looking back on it, CM was a great console racer but not nearly as realistic as Rally Trophy.

For me, I loved driving the Subaru and the Focus at breakneck speeds in Colin McRae, but RT had the Mini, the Ford Cortina, the Saab and the Lancia.. iconic cars I grew up with. The damage model was cool and although it still remains to be the one game I never really tamed (it's damn hard!), I loved the sense of urgency (or total fear!) I have playing it. It's fairly unforgiving once you move up to the more powerful motors, but I think that's part of the appeal.

Enough of my babble.. thanks for sharing that picture! Great to see you guys still show it some love :)

RacerBest

Yeah this game is awesome.  ;D Maybe best rally game I have.

John Burning

Where can I get it? Please -___-

Birddogg66

This title surely blows me away considering it's age and when it was made I am totally impressed by the work that went into this title. What I do not understand is why no follow up on the title? This was the RBR of it's time and ahead of it's time.
I think all the talent is there to do a Rally Trophy 2 people are crying for Rally.
I have been a member of this forum for over a year why am I still a newbie?

Joonas Laakso

What I do not understand is why no follow up on the title?

We do throw around the idea of doing another rally game, oh, maybe once a year. It's a very long road from "stuff that would be fun to do" to "we're actually working on something and someone is paying for it". Never say never.

RubyRuby

Right now Amazon is listing 3 used copies for sale, starting at US$11.50.  Amazon shows 9 Customer Reviews; all rate it 5 stars.  Just so ya know.

That picture Jukki shows would make a great desktop wallpaper.  [hint]

Frank

Birddogg66

What I do not understand is why no follow up on the title?

We do throw around the idea of doing another rally game, oh, maybe once a year. It's a very long road from "stuff that would be fun to do" to "we're actually working on something and someone is paying for it". Never say never.

How I say? Crowd Funding someone mentioned to test the waters of demand in kick starter.  If it's all about someone paying for it. I know has been said Bugbear loves it's publisher. I'm not saying kicking them to the curb they can still publish a crowd funded project if all the details worked out best in all involved favor. Yes new waters being tested but it never hurts to dig deeper into the concept.
I have been a member of this forum for over a year why am I still a newbie?

RubyRuby

Cruisin' across north Africa in my souped up and tuned 150 hp Saab 96 V4, looking for Mini Coopers, Fiat Abarths and Volvos to wave at - too cool.  Who's gonna do that?  Nobody but BugBear.  Well, maybe SMS, but I don't think so.  Do you think they would, Birddogg?  Nah, gotta be BugBear.

Frank

RobFisher

I have this game in my loft. Flatout and the others passed me by but I was really into Rally Trophy as a more realistic feeling rally sim. I had no idea it would still work; I'll have to dig it out.

1NJIMID8TOR

One of my 1st rally games! How awesome it was to drive some old original Euro Rally cars from the past and road courses! Amazing!
Anyone can make present vehicles which they usually do and focus only on.

Old cars are where it's really at!

Still have R.T as well! Difficult but so rewarding when you actually do it right and finish the race. Oh those dang sun spots! Where are my Sun Glasses when I needed them!  8)
FlatOut Boomtown!

karttu

It seems that Nordic Games should own the publishing rights as they bought them when JoWood folded, but they don't list Rally Trophy on their website.  It would be nice to see RT in GOG.com or Steam.

How about making a RT as a DLC for NCG?

BeO

Back then I had a Guillemot force feedback wheel, and balancing the Fiat 600 on the edge of disaster was about as much fun as I've ever had in any driving game. Wish they could release this game on gog.com, I'd buy it in a second. And probably a few more copies as gift for friends who played the game back then.