Author Topic: Free2play?  (Read 11753 times)

John Burning

Bugbear, what about make a free to play game? You know, it's very good pirat protection, you don't need to have any publisher and you can get your money because of donate! (you know, donate on customisation (bumpers, vinyls, any tuning of engine e.t.c.))
I think it could be interesting!

Purple44

Free2play did not work for Project Torque.

You could pay to upgrade car or buy fasters cars or you could grind it out to upgrade cars or get newer ones, but took long time. This made races online unfair. Players willing to spend the money had the better cars.

Most racers online want a fair race. That why we like "same as host" option in Flatout 2 and why we got Codemasters to get rid of ebay cars online with v1.3 patch for GRID. It should come down to driver skill, not who has a faster or better grip car, who wins the race.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

John Burning

Free2play did not work for Project Torque.

You could pay to upgrade car or buy fasters cars or you could grind it out to upgrade cars or get newer ones, but took long time. This made races online unfair. Players willing to spend the money had the better cars.

Most racers online want a fair race. That why we like "same as host" option in Flatout 2 and why we got Codemasters to get rid of ebay cars online with v1.3 patch for GRID. It should come down to driver skill, not who has a faster or better grip car, who wins the race.
Yeah, maybe  :-\

Acierocolotl

I've got to courteously disagree here, Free-to-play worked reasonably well for Project Torque for a good while.  Sure, people might have had lopsidedly powerful cars, but setting a room to a limited level weeded out almost all of that.  I usually ran a level 1 or 2 room, where the racing was much tighter and even with the slower cars.

Where I think it fell down in Project Torque's case were the pit girls, the completely invisible pay-to-win speed boosts.  You had no real way of knowing if somebody was using one or not.  I also wasn't fond of the powerups you could use; Thunder Alley tracks went from perfectly matched to blowouts where anybody using fuel economy or the like were handed wins.

So for a free to play racing model to work, I'd be happier with cash simply allowing earlier access to cars others could get, given enough grinding.  No invisible bonuses, no powerups that could ruin racing.

Simraceway does it exactly that way, I should add:  you can buy a car straight off, or you can do lots and lots of laps to earn special credits to buy the car (eventually).  The cars were quite cheap, I bought the Morgan trike for about 50 cents, though I think the more expensive cars might run ten to twenty dollars.  I haven't checked in a while.

GoldenApe

Yea, I think F2P could work really well for a racegame, as long as paying players don't get an absolute advantage over non-paying players by being able to buy faster cars/upgrades. Let everyone be able to race in the same cars and collect in-game credits to buy upgrades, and have premium members just gain credits faster, choose different skins on cars, etc. and perhaps get some unique cars as long as they aren't faster than the best free car)
Basically what World of Tanks does, I really liked that game.

Also, if the game has Flatout-like car classes, you could perhaps have the Derby class free for everyone, but for unlocking the Race and Street class you'd have to pay 10 bucks or something (but then you do unlock the entire class, not just the first few cars and then having to pay for the next again).

Purple44

Also, if the game has Flatout-like car classes, you could perhaps have the Derby class free for everyone, but for unlocking the Race and Street class you'd have to pay 10 bucks or something (but then you do unlock the entire class, not just the first few cars and then having to pay for the next again).

How would this be handle online thou?

Say host paid the money and has silver and gold cars unlock, player with just bronze cars could not join Gold host. Right? And if player paid to unlock silver cars but not gold yet, this player would not be able to join gold host either. Right?

Would seem that all cars would have to be unlock online or you end up dividing online community. Which is a BAD thing!!
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

John Burning

What about make a level system? If player reaches some level he will get new car for ever. Or he can pay not a lot money to get it BUT maybe only for a month?
What about levels. Players are playing together. After the race they are getting some points (like in career in FO) and getting new level.
If there're 8 players on server: 10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1.
7 players: 8,6,5,4,3,2,1.
6 players: 6,5,4,3,2,1.
5 players: 5,4,3,2,1.
4 players: 4,3,2,1.
3 players: 3,2,1.
2 players: 2,1.
And no points in single player mode.
What do you think?

GoldenApe

How would this be handle online thou?

Say host paid the money and has silver and gold cars unlock, player with just bronze cars could not join Gold host. Right? And if player paid to unlock silver cars but not gold yet, this player would not be able to join gold host either. Right?

Would seem that all cars would have to be unlock online or you end up dividing online community. Which is a BAD thing!!
Well it's not like you'd allow bronze cars to join a gold race anyway, so I don't really see the issue there. You make a valid point about dividing the community though, seems I haven't really thought that through. In fact, it goes against my own ideal that everything should be available for free players as well.
Solution: unlocking the Silver and Gold classes will cost a load of in-game credits, or just a few bucks.

Another idea: since in FO2 some derby cars were basically banged up versions of street/race cars, make that true for all cars and have people upgrade the car. Players start out with a banged up, second hand (or more like 22nd hand, lol) version of one model; race to collect XP for unlocking the stock model of the car, and then race again for unlocking the race-version of the car. This way players get a bond with a certain car brand and you'll have to think ahead as the best derby car model might not be the best race car model. 

Birddogg66

Free to play is never free and while I think these titles catch on I think it is short lived before they start to die out when people realize how expensive FTP's really are.
I have been a member of this forum for over a year why am I still a newbie?

Joonas Laakso

Certainly free to play is something we're thinking about. So many of the guys at the studio are playing F2P titles, it does make you think. I've played a bit of World Of Tanks and a lot of Tribes: Ascend and Ghost Recon Online, myself.

We're quite aware of the pitfalls of "pay to win", rest assured. The way it's usually structured, you should have a lot of people playing for free (yes, actually for free) and a small part of players playing a lot and paying for it. In the end it should balance out to something that works for us financially, of course. We see it as a viable alternative to a pay-once release, or one supported by micro payments.

If the game is free, there is a much lower threshold to people trying it out, thus we get more players. It makes sense, if you're looking to build a lively community.

John Burning

Certainly free to play is something we're thinking about. So many of the guys at the studio are playing F2P titles, it does make you think. I've played a bit of World Of Tanks and a lot of Tribes: Ascend and Ghost Recon Online, myself.

We're quite aware of the pitfalls of "pay to win", rest assured. The way it's usually structured, you should have a lot of people playing for free (yes, actually for free) and a small part of players playing a lot and paying for it. In the end it should balance out to something that works for us financially, of course. We see it as a viable alternative to a pay-once release, or one supported by micro payments.

If the game is free, there is a much lower threshold to people trying it out, thus we get more players. It makes sense, if you're looking to build a lively community.
Awesome! I hope if you'll do it free2play, you will not make it very expensive.

John Burning

Wait... I hope you will make a singleplayer, yeah? Will you do it?

Mopower

Singleplayer always gets boring halfway through the first time beating it other than the fact that you get new cars. It's not really fun to just play against AI. Multiplayer is much better anyway ;)

John Burning

Singleplayer always gets boring halfway through the first time beating it other than the fact that you get new cars. It's not really fun to just play against AI. Multiplayer is much better anyway ;)
Yeah, you're right, but what if I'll play it after 30 years? And nobody online! How to play?!

Mopower

Yeah, you're right, but what if I'll play it after 30 years? And nobody online! How to play?!

Hehe, highly unlikely as Bugbear will probably make a better game after that. But, obviously there should be some sort of single player mode. But there should be less time spent on the Single Player mode than on the multiplayer. Maybe just some small challenges, like license challenges or something.