Author Topic: Ridge Racer or Brick Racer? My first impressions  (Read 1782 times)

The Maxassin

I would just like to say a few things about what I have found during my 7 level sprint in the game. Overall it is a very fun game in my opinion with enough variance to keep it interesting. I like the idea of challenge races, it really makes me feel like I worked toward my new cars (although getting the uncommon cars seems impossible when one's car is only level 5). However, I do have a few complaints with certain game mechanics. Opponent cars from level 4 onward behave as if they are made of concrete, with the ability to blast you out of the way or cause a game of pinball to occur on a tightly packed corner. This tends to ruin part of the experience, as you will be driving along and all of a sudden they will take you out from behind, or knock you out right at the start of the race, leaving you to drive the rest of the race alone and in 7th or 8th place depending on if you managed to boost or not. Also, the drifting mechanism (at least for me) seems to behave slowly sometimes, failing to cause enough oversteer to get around the corners. That being said, I believe the game has a lot of potential and I look forward to playing it more over the rest of my summer vacation. (I'm an Aussie in case any of you are confused.)

The Maxassin

To further add the issues this presents, think about this scenario. So you are trailing this driver who is driving a similar car to yourself, so you are slowly gaining boost but aren't ready to use it yet. You are getting close to fragging him/her when all of a sudden this driver stopped and in the resulting collision you stop, and the rest of the pack overtakes you. Or you try to swerve out of the way, crash into a building and lose repair points or even worse, your car. It sucks, and unfortunately it happens because of two things. The spirit racers may have collided with vehicles in other races, the races that they were recorded in, but the other racers don't show up in your race, so you don't know when a car is going to suddenly spiral out of control. Also, the other drivers are really heavy, and tend to push your car around like a pinball. Just some things to think about.