Author Topic: Carmageddon: Reincarnation - Stainless  (Read 22116 times)

Purple44

I think it time we start a Carmageddon: Reincarnation thread. Here another good game maker like Bugbear, Stainless, going with out a publisher to make game they and the fans want.  :D

Stainless has release new video showing off the suspension in Carmageddon: Reincarnation. Keep in mine this is pre-alpha footage. Thanks to demolitionman for bringing this video to my attention yesterday.
Carmageddon:reincarnation suspension tech video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcsuOMAyOc

looks awesome, cant wait to see some demolition.

Thanks for the post. I've been so busy trying to get caught up on my Bugbear forum this last week, I forgot to check in at Carmageddon:Reincarnation forum.  :-[

http://www.carmageddon.com/forums/carmageddon-reincarnation/general-discussion

Here Dev nobby answer some questions about video and the game:

Quote from: nobby
Happy New Year and thanks for all your great comments, folks! I had a great time making the video, and we’re delighted at the response – when you’re working so hard on a project it’s obviously a massive boost to get so much positive feedback, even when there’s still so much more we need to do. Now, to answer some of your questions:

@ drunkenmastama
The wheels clipping through the bodywork is just one of the compromises that have to be made in driving games between realistic suspension movement (allowing “forgiving” handling over harsh terrain) and totally realistic visuals. The fact is that this video has the camera trained constantly on the wheels, and so the effect is more noticeable. In “normal” views, it isn’t something that we feel to be a real issue.

@ SawBone
Correctly surmised sir – the light beams are handy Checkpoint markers. We still have some tweaks to make to the Twister – I did find that its centre of gravity feels like it’s set too low.

@ FatCat
The suspension is all dynamic code driven physics (as Trent accurately described it) – there’s no art-driven animation involved in the system.

@ Lemonrev
I completely agree about the HDR flare on the road surface being unpleasant! I tried to turn it down/off for the video (as the camera angle I wanted to use really exaggerated it), but doing so uncovered a current bug in the Lighting IMP (the in-game tool for setting the lighting up) and so I was unable to tweak it.
Most of our street art comes from our resident ex-graffiti artist Steve Miles, A.K.A. Toxic – plus contributions from other artists here. There will be a lot of variety, certainly a shit load compared to the… ONE graffiti wall texture in Carmageddon 1. :)
You can really, REALLY rip cars to shreds. Video coming… soon. ;)
Accessories and parts of the environment can be damaged or destroyed.
Tyres can be blown, thrown off the rim, and this happens when they get an appropriate impact.
As the cars crush, the driver’s position moves along with the deformation. If the roof is crushed, you see them all hunched up in a ball inside. If the car is crushed beyond the point where this is possible any more, then the driver gets gibbed! Drivers can also be thrown out through the windows in really heavy impacts – which looks f***ing hilarious/brilliant.
Impacts that the cars have with anything leave scuffs/marks on the car in the right place.

@ Synetearis
Yes, the suspension really works correctly – it is f***ing cool! We support Wishbone, Live axle and McPherson Strut systems, so the cars are being built around these variations of suspension.

@ C2S and ZalDcaze
We are planning to increase the contact points of large wheels – as yes, we’ve identified that they need to be special-cased.

@ Mr. Deviance
We long ago learned the lesson that “real” gravity plus massively over-powerful cars meant that the experience ended up feeling rather too “lunar”, and so we don’t intend to make that mistake again. As to “rubbery bumpmaps”, yes, they’ll be part of the whole process of moving the cars on to full production finish.

@ YautjaLord
Personally, I’m really pleased with the remix job I did on the Zero Signal intro, in order to get the big opening to synch perfectly with the big impact! :)

@ Epitaph
This video was made yesterday, by me, for you. I wanted to showcase Batwick’s suspension system, and also tease at “things to come”. Batwick did all his analysis in real-time, using the game, often using this Car Inspection Camera mode, to check things as he went.

Thanks to you all for the fantastic comments so far – it’s a brilliant start to the New Year as we hurtle towards the Early Release date.

BTW, I also answered a bunch of questions raised on the Kickstarter Update page, and I thought I’d include those in this thread too:

@ John Callihoo
Yes, the Early Access will be delivered according to your pledge level.

@ Adrian Bjugård
“Could you render a video with the wheels in focus instead, is that possible?” There’s no depth of field in the video Adrian – the wheel texture is reasonably low resolution, and that coupled with the way YouTube compresses (the already compressed) uploaded Fraps video footage means it looks blurred. This is further compounded by the camera position, of course. Thanks for the comment, though – I’ll mention to the guys that they need to make sure that BIG wheels need BIG textures!

@ Eric Fortin
A car destruction video (including the awesome player controllable repair system) will follow soon. Patrick has been tweaking the damage systems for months, and we’re almost ready to publically unveil it!

@ foxden_racing
The suspension system is completely physics driven, there’s no animation – it’s all totally functional. It really is a beautifully coded system, thanks to Patrick, Stainless co-founder, CEO and coder extraordinaire (with further input from our original physics guru, Dr. Kev Martin).

@ Andreas Cederberg
We’ll always try to get a balance (no pun intended) between realistic handling and good gameplay handling. On thing I noticed while making the video and driving the recently tweaked Twister was that its centre of gravity is a little too low though – and it was pretty hard to end up on my roof without it rolling back over. So, we’ll continue to refine, now that the work on the code side of the car dynamics is complete.

@ Ryan Banfield
The Twister’s wheels do clip the bodywork, I know – but the alternative is to limit the suspension travel, which in turn would have detrimental effect on handling as it would mean the Twister would be inclined to get thrown over rather than soak up bumps. We feel that as some clipping of objects is pretty commonplace in all games, it’s worth the compromise in this case, to favour handling over hyper visual realism.

@ Narann
“I wonder about the technical resources to deal with such level of dynamic details for every car in the game. What really "disturb" me is the lack of rotation on wheel on hard contact.” As long as the artists build the vehicles to comply with the set of rules that have been set out for the supported suspension systems, then they “just work”. Then it’s a matter of setting up the suspension and dynamics data for each car, which a number of us are able to do – artists, designers, game director, etc. They can then be tweaked easily during play using our in-game setup tools (which will all be made available to players in CarMODgeddon).
The rotation of wheels is completely dynamic and physics driven – if the driveshafts stop rotating because you braked, then the wheels stop turning!

Quote from: Leo_Sasquatch
Well, that was un-necessarily awesome.

Thank you.

But here's the thing that really caused a damp patch in the boxers.  If you're putting that much care, that much detail, that much attention to doing the Right Thing into the *suspension*, then how squelchily excellent is everything else going to be?  How beautifully captured the old lady's walk (hobble?) cycle, the cries of dismay and horror, and wails of agony?  How detailed the blood splatter patterns, the trajectories of severed limbs, the colour of the sclerotic stains?  I mean, let's be honest, the suspension is probably not going to be most people's first thought on loading up the game, and is probably invisible on half the cars anyway.  Most people aren't going to care about it until a ped's pelvis jams it up and it stops working properly.  At least until a good hard landing crushes the offending debris to powder.

To all at Stainless, a happy, sticky new year, liberally splattered with the ichor of your foes, with a soundtrack of high-revving engines and the screams of the wounded.

Quote from: Ohnhai
Quote from: ThomasN
Good graphics are for the first 5 hours. Good physics is for the next 5000. Rather than "megatextures", which sound like the are bad for the modding community and kinda clogged "Rage" anyways, I'd like to have normal assets, maybe in a level editor also usable by noobs, like in that ancient "4d sports driving" game. One can dream... :-)
Back to watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5p_N7rSyA&list=PL7562B10631849A97 until the game is out :-)

I wouldn't worry about megatexture authoring.

By the time the community gets their hands on the tools it should be simply a matter of applying the textures you want to the models and letting the packers and tools handle all the rest. You simply work with single assets and chunks of base geom that you can pretty much whack as much texture detail on as you want, export them and whack them into the level. Job done. In theory the system should allow for an entire level to be uniquely painted top to bottom.

For example I've recently been working on the roads for Bleak City and some of the city's open areas and these were painted in unique 4096px tiles. All told, the roads and these few city blocks come to about 3.3bn uniquely painted pixels.

The concrete structure with the street art in the suspension test vid is also uniquely painted.  With all textures, grime, some ambient lighting, the street art, normals and specular all painted directly onto the model.

Trust me. You are going to have SOOOO much fun with this!   :D

http://www.carmageddon.com/media/wallpapers
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:35:44 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Anarchy_Blues

Loved the Carmaggedon games. Never understood what everybody's beef was with TDU 2000 though. Sure the censored version was, well, censored, but other than that I can't see what was so bad about it. The car selection at least was epic.

Anyway, too bad it's multi-platform.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:10:36 AM by Eurotrash »

RacerBest

I pledged to this when it was Kickstarter, hoping the system requirements are bit lower than NCG's so I could maybe play this game on my computer.

Pekonilkki

I was going to throw money at my screen during the KS campaign but I hesitated and when I finally found my wallet it was already too late. No worries, will get the game (if it's any good) when it comes to Steam.
I'm a tongue in cheek kinda guy. Keep that in mind when reading my comments.

also sory from my bad enlish i dont speek it rely goodly

conso1727

As far as I understood, paypal preorders will have all the DLCs with the game, I think I'm going to get it before Early Access on Steam

Purple44

Release date for Early Access and new video here!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation/posts/761892

Thanks for the link ReacerBest. Been so busy catching up on my Bugbear forum reading, have not check in with Carmageddon: Reincarnation forum lately.

"Friday, 28th February 2014. Isle of Wight, UK. Stainless Games announces that on the 27th of March 2014, fans who have been waiting for what has seemed an eternity (but is actually a mere 17 years) will finally be able to play the sequel to the original “points for pedestrians” car smash carnage-fest Carmageddon, as the Early Access release of Carmageddon: Reincarnation launches on Steam.

From the 27th of March 2014, the legion of long time Carmageddon fans, plus lovers of excess virtual violence everywhere will get to wreak havoc, pain and hilarity once more. This Early Access release is a milestone, as it marks the beginning of a new era in the Carmageddon story. Kickstarter Backers will be able to get behind the wheel two weeks before the Steam Early Access release."

I will get to try out Carmageddon: Reincarnation in about 2 weeks it look like. :)

I do wonder if Bugbear's NCG, push Stainless to do car damage a little more than what they plan on at the beginning?  :)

Nice flat tire effect on Monster truck in video.  :D

It going be a good year for racing games. Got the outrageous of Carmageddon: Reincarnation, simcade contact racer\derby game NCG and Distance.

conso1727

The videogames horoscope says that 2014 is the year of the racing

KazzyMac

Yehzzzzzzz. Will I be the only one who will race properly in multiplayer? I genuinely want to see what proper 6-8-player actual races in the Beelzebub engine play out like :p

Ontopic: If anyone is confused, Kickstarter backers get the Early Access 13th March, two weeks before the general Steam Early Access release, as noted in the Kickstarter comments;

"Just for confirmation with regards to the two week early access starting on the 13th March, this is available for those backers on the VIP (VERY IMFLAMMABLE PENGUINS)/I’M AGOG!! tiers or above ($25+). If you are unsure please login to the Backer site and it will show in the 'Your Rewards Breakdown' section (displayed as 'Early Beta Access')."

Two weeks, people. Two weeks. :D
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Adenru

Mine says it's a year of early access.

Purple44

It going be a good year for racing games. Got the outrageous of Carmageddon: Reincarnation, simcade contact racer\derby game NCG and Distance.

Mine says it's a year of early access.

Hopefully all 3 will be done with a final release by Christmas, if not sooner.  :)

That if the games are ready for prime time. I can wait until 2015 if needed.

Purple44

Check your email for the Steam key for early access to Reincarnation - Stainless if you pledge $25 or higher in Kickstarter campaign.

Down Loading From Stream Now!

Quote from: Purple44
Quote from: Purple44
I got the project update #58 email saying I would get an email from Humble Bundle with the details on how to get Steam key. But I don't see any email from Humble Bundle and I check my trash folder. :(

After reading this post, I got my Steam key email to me:

Quote from: Trent
If you haven't recieved the email yet you can have it resend your Humble Bundle keys by entering your email here: http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/243191-humble-bundle-key-resender

That's what I did and I am now downloading it, yay! :D

Download done, only took about 5 mins at 3.5 MB/s  :)

RacerBest

"Our minimum spec is currently: OS Version: Win 7 64-bit Processor: Intel i5-3470 (3.2GHz) or equivalent. Memory: 8Gb Graphics: 2Gb DX11 compatible (AMD HD 7950 or equivalent) Network: N/A DirectX version: DX10 Disk Space: 4Gb Sound Card: DirectX compatible. Important: Spec will be revised continually during Early Access."

I am a VIP backer, but these requirements are too high for me.  :(

deadmoroz14

"Our minimum spec is currently: OS Version: Win 7 64-bit Processor: Intel i5-3470 (3.2GHz) or equivalent. Memory: 8Gb Graphics: 2Gb DX11 compatible (AMD HD 7950 or equivalent) Network: N/A DirectX version: DX10 Disk Space: 4Gb Sound Card: DirectX compatible. Important: Spec will be revised continually during Early Access."

I am a VIP backer, but these requirements are too high for me.  :(
Wow! And people are talking that NCG requires a good rig :D
The thing is that last time I checked C:R it looked way worse than NCG (that's why I bought NCG, not C:R)
BTW,
Graphics: 2Gb DX11 compatible (AMD HD 7950 or equivalent)
DirectX version: DX10
What?

EDIT:
Stainless have edited the system requirements. Now they are seems legit
OS Version: Win 7 64-bit

Processor: Intel i3-3240 (3.4GHz) or equivalent

Memory: 8Gb

Graphics: 2Gb DirectX 11 (AMD HD 7800 series or equivalent)

Network: N/A

DirectX version: DX11

Disk Space: 4Gb

Sound Card: DirectX compatible.

Important: Spec will be revised continually during Early Access.
Finally they added i3. I was wondering why i3 with the same number of logical cores to i5 (4 cores) was incapable of running the game
And DX version is fixed
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:13:13 PM by deadmoroz14 »
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

Purple44

Reading through this thread Performance Feedback, C R will need some optimization.

Some have improve things by upgrading there video card drivers.  Right now C R is tough on gaming computers. Wimpy computers will struggle with C R. Remember C R is pre-alpha, so it has issues that need ironing out.