Author Topic: Mixed-surface tracks  (Read 886 times)

Victor Cortez

Hello,

I have a question for the devs or for anyone with some technical knowledge.
Is there any reason why tracks with different surfaces could not be put in game?

Seeing how they plan on having different types of tyres (which is great), I’d love to see a track based on some “serious” tarmac racing track (ie for touring cars), with dirt diversions.
It’d add to the strategy depth of the setup. Generally speaking, too much horsepower is not good if the grip is bad, and tyres are obviously crucial. So, for example, in such a track one could go for a tarmac setup (tarmac tyres, high power engine), hoping to go fast on the tarmac section and just survive in the dirt area / a dirt setup / or a combination of the two (power and dirt tyres!)…

What do you think? 

stefi32

That'd be really cool! You mean like rallycross tracks like this, right?

DON'T OPEN THE BONNET I'LL LOSE FIVE POINTS

Victor Cortez

Yes.

Either like that (that is, where dirt sections are designed to be part of the track) or under-counstruction sectors or anything of the sort.

At the end the result for the player is the same, a mix between tarmac and a less grippy surface in the same race.

EDIT: if they ever plan to have rain the game (I'd love to but I doubt it), they could even have flooded parts of track which would randomly change on a race-to-race basis.
One time it's the main straight to be flooded (which wouldn't be a bit issues), some other times it's the chicane at the end of that straight... good luck when you brake! :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:40:17 PM by Victor Cortez »

Manaick

Diversity would be bless ;) Hope the will do it. Either construction sides or maybe some sort of land slides? detours?

stefi32

That would be really awesome!

Victor Cortez

An another couple of details which have nothing to do with this topic but are not really worthy of a topic on their own:

- It'd be great if Tarmac tyres were slick

- The American car has a "V8" while the European has a "S4". I believe S stands for Simple, but wouldn't and L be better? (L as in 4 Cilinders in Line).

stefi32

The S stands for straight, although it can also be I4 (inline 4; all cylinders are in line). I would like some cool engines, like a flat 4 boxer (subaru style) or a slant six (some American cars have that).

About tarmac tires - eeeeehhh. Not like I care that much. Maybe a higher tier asphalt tire could be slick.

Victor Cortez

You're right, S stands for Straight. Nevermind then.

Also, as this is turning into "Cortez Stupid Opinions Thread", I'd like to add that if in the final version cars don't have flames, I will be massively disappointed.

Everything feels just so raw that we must have flames out of the exhausts.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:59:47 PM by Victor Cortez »

Purple44

We had mix surface tracks in Flatout 1 and 2, think there a good chance to see the same in NCG. At least I hope so.  :)
Flatout Joint Looking for a Flatout mod?

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660, Sound Blaster Recon, Win7 64bit

TractorFace

Or have snow and ice tracks as well. Right, Bugbear? :D

....RIGHT?!

Victor Cortez

I'd love to have snow and ice but I'm afraid it's too much for BugBear.

Maybe if the game sells well when it's released, they can keep on working on it and add snow later on.

dbs213

I have high hopes for those kinds of tracks to be in the game. If it's on FlatOut, then it should be in NCG as well.

Besides since FlatOut was based on Folkrace which is basically RX with derby cars then why not?
Steam Name: that-motoring-freak
"You won't enjoy this!" Maya, Borderlands 2
"I don't need people to help me grow up. I drink milk." Ruby Rose, RWBY
"You wanna end up in the trunk of this thing?!" Trevor Philips, GTA V
"What kinda license do you have? A fishin' license?" Carl Johnson, GTA San Andreas

Purple44

Maybe if the game sells well when it's released, they can keep on working on it and add snow later on.

Why say this?

We only seen a small portion of what Bugbear been working on. I still hoping snow tracks happens. Snow tracks were popular in Flatout 1 and I have seen them ask for in other racing games. I think it be a good move for Bugbear to include snow tracks.
Flatout Joint Looking for a Flatout mod?

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660, Sound Blaster Recon, Win7 64bit

crazychris4124

i like this idea. they could make a track where you start off on an icy road then drive off it onto a snowy trail. This brings me to another idea, a hillclimb track like pikes peak

Victor Cortez

Why say this?

We only seen a small portion of what Bugbear been working on. I still hoping snow tracks happens. Snow tracks were popular in Flatout 1 and I have seen them ask for in other racing games. I think it be a good move for Bugbear to include snow tracks.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good/fun. Nor am I saying that they shouldn't do it for other reasons.

Why I'm saying is that I don't want to expect too much because I know they're a small studio, without financial backing and I'm already surprised by what they delivered.
Snowy track would probably mean more testing, more designing, more money.

I hope they put it in the game, but if they don't, I want complain (I will complain if they dont put flames :D)