Poll

How would you rate our graphics in the Early Access?

One star * (Very bad)
1 (0.2%)
Two stars ** (Bad)
2 (0.3%)
Three stars *** (Mediocre)
53 (9%)
Four stars **** (Great)
334 (56.9%)
Five stars ***** (Excellent)
197 (33.6%)

Total Members Voted: 585

Author Topic: POLL: RATE OUR GRAPHICS  (Read 19992 times)

Ben Lind

Even though the graphics are still a work in progress we in the art team were wondering how you feel about the graphics in the Early Access build.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:50:23 PM by Ben Lind »
Overly talkative 3D-artist

Big Ron

Voted for 5 stars.
I am really impressed by the visual experience, at all because it´s pre-alpha. Fits the game concept very well, not too photo-realistic, but still very detailed, modern and grown, actual and modern graphic-technologies and pretty varied. And it still has that Flatout-flair.

Some things could be made a bit different or be added: the fire effects when totalled could be a bit better, sparks appearing, dirt build-up and more scratches on car models etc, but these are minor details.

Also performance-wise it´s not bad at all, running quite good already on my system maxed-out.
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25

Ben Lind

Glad you like it!

We're planning to add sparks (back). We had them in an earlier build but they weren't up to the quality we wished for so we left them out for now. Your other points are solid and noted. Thanks for your input!
Overly talkative 3D-artist

stefi32

5 stars.

Exellent for a pre-alpha, however, there are some bugs (as is expected from a pre-alpha), but I know that they are gonna be fixed as time goes on, and yes some of the effects could be better (again, as is expected from a pre-alpha). Big Ron already explained this more in detail.

I've never seen such a dedicated team of devs that listen to the community so much, unlike most of the others, whose brains have turned into money as soon as they got a few sales. Keep that up.

Performance wise, my pc is from 2011 (intel i5 3.1 ghz sandy bridge, geforce gtx 550 ti 1gb, 4 gb ram ddr3 1xxxghz) and I run at mostly >40 fps (fraps counter) with shadows on min. textures on max. cube map quality in the middle, and only particles enabled, rest is disabled and anisotropy in the middle. Resolution 1920x1080x32, 16:9 of course, no vsync. Pc temp while playing is ~50 deg. C Some fps drops happen when there's a big crash or a lot of cars kicking up dirt and such.

I don't know is that good or bad.
DON'T OPEN THE BONNET I'LL LOSE FIVE POINTS

RacerBest

5 stars, the game has so good graphics that my computer can't run the game with good framerate even on lowest graphics. :(

In my opinion even Flatout 1 graphics are 5 stars, I hate when graphics have to evolve when games already looked awesome enough 10 years ago.

Adenru

I can take a picture of car in garage and claim it's real, the environment looks awesome, however the grass bugs me, it looks as if it's cartoonish.

Majatek

Four stars but only because of the following points:
  • Aliasing issues arise when smoke/dirt is directly behind a car. The edges of the car body - most notably the roof - becomes an aliased mess
    Example screenshot: http://imageshack.com/a/img811/2597/ocob.png
  • No sparks
  • Dust/dirt and car-part gibs/particles clip through the bodies of cars (and through the cockpit while in cockpit cam)
  • Tyres do not pick up dirt, sand or general debris
  • Wheel-wells do not get clogged with dirt nor do body panels get spattered by mud and debris
  • No interpolation between damage states (I have written up a topic about it over here: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,2090.0.html)
  • Certain damage states make the wheels look like they're completely detached from their axles and disc-brakes but are still fully functional
Other than that, great job guys! I'm looking forward to your next update. :)
YouTube - Twitter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPbRnpxjmm8

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

palker

Four stars but only because of the following points:
  • Aliasing issues arise when smoke/dirt is directly behind a car. The edges of the car body - most notably the roof - becomes an aliased mess
    Example screenshot: http://imageshack.com/a/img811/2597/ocob.png
  • No sparks
  • Dust/dirt and car-part gibs/particles clip through the bodies of cars (and through the cockpit while in cockpit cam)
  • Tyres do not pick up dirt, sand or general debris
  • Wheel-wells do not get clogged with dirt nor do body panels get spattered by mud and debris
  • No interpolation between damage states (I have written up a topic about it over here: http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,2090.0.html)
  • Certain damage states make the wheels look like they're completely detached from their axles and disc-brakes but are still fully functional
Other than that, great job guys! I'm looking forward to your next update. :)

You should maybe lower your demands a little, no?
I think that the game looks incredible and runs well even on what is a nearly budget GPU (AMD6790)
Honestly i like the way it looks right now you could just focus on gameplay from now on as far as i am concerned.
5stars

Majatek

You should maybe lower your demands a little, no?

Bugbear Entertainment requested for criticism, thus, they'll get criticism no matter how nit-picky it is. I don't expect them to create the most flawless true-to-life looking experience with the best HD graphics in history of gaming.

However:

What I do expect is that they'll try their hardest to make it look as good as they possibly can, and they, just like artists, will only be able to progress and get better if they're given criticism so that they may work upon what they've done thus far. Whatever criticism is given, no matter how much it is for them will still give them goals. Goals that if they achieve will end up making their project look all the more beautiful.

So please don't tell people to not give critique when it's clearly asked for. It's rude and quite frankly stalls progress.
YouTube - Twitter

Cornkid

I think the bits that have had more time spent on them are outstanding, the car itself, with reflections and such.

Tracks are hard to judge , as they arent fully garnished, they are great , but could be better.

The jagged edges of stuff is less than ideal, anti-aliasing will help when its implemented.

Good job on the whole art team, wheres those bloody leaves you scanned on your day out ;)

Purple44

I'm impress with the trees I been running into while free roaming. They look pretty real to me.

Also like the car skin and how Bugbear gave the cars that rusty look and damage skin showing scratches. :)

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Janne Suur-Näkki

Agreeing with Majatek, fair criticism is always welcome and it won't upset us. Most of the stuff we are already painfully aware, but hearing it from you guys is good because it helps us gauge what kind of issues and/or features you think are important.

Regarding details like dirt accumulating on tires; we too would love to add to goodies like that, but quite often minor sounding features can take a considerable amount of time to implement, especially so in case we don't have support for anything like it and would have build it from scratch. In that sense, it all depends on the time and resources we have.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Majatek

Precisely. If it's not time critical, minor things like tyres accumulating dirt can be overlooked in favour for something that requires more attention.

For what you've done thus far however is pretty much phenomenal.

You've got all my thumbs up and a sore wallet. If I could throw more money at you guys, I would.  ;)
YouTube - Twitter

RatPat

Cars is excellent.
Track environment is mediocre. Grass, leaves, trees. seem a little incomplete. Wind could be a little wiggle them.
Background is excellent.

Since this is only a pre-alpha the quality is mind-boggling.  :D

John Burning

Everything is awesome!
I love gamma! It's so colorful! :)
But make the garage floor more legible.