Poll

How would you rate our graphics in the Early Access?

One star * (Very bad)
1 (0.2%)
Two stars ** (Bad)
2 (0.3%)
Three stars *** (Mediocre)
53 (9%)
Four stars **** (Great)
334 (56.9%)
Five stars ***** (Excellent)
197 (33.6%)

Total Members Voted: 585

Author Topic: POLL: RATE OUR GRAPHICS  (Read 20592 times)

Mopower

Regarding details like dirt accumulating on tires; we too would love to add to goodies like that, but quite often minor sounding features can take a considerable amount of time to implement, especially so in case we don't have support for anything like it and would have build it from scratch. In that sense, it all depends on the time and resources we have.
I realize that it's about money. But I, personally would rather you guys take the extra month or 2 to release the game as you don't really have a deadline being you're publishing it yourselves correct? But, your money can only stretch you so far I'm sure...

The cars look very cartoonish when they're all beat up... Mainly because they're crumpled beyond any reasonable point, but, when everything's fresh it all looks pretty good ;)
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

Ben Lind

As Majatek and JanneSN said, yeah we're happy to receive criticism. Getting critique will help us improve on stuff we might have missed or prioritize the stuff we are aware of.

I think the bits that have had more time spent on them are outstanding, the car itself, with reflections and such.

Tracks are hard to judge , as they arent fully garnished, they are great , but could be better.

The jagged edges of stuff is less than ideal, anti-aliasing will help when its implemented.

Yeah the tracks are still a work in progress. As for the anti-aliasing we actually have it implemented but objects with alpha tend to mess it up a bit.

Good job on the whole art team, wheres those bloody leaves you scanned on your day out ;)

Thanks! The leaves will likely make it to another track we're working on.  ;D

Cars is excellent.
Track environment is mediocre. Grass, leaves, trees. seem a little incomplete. Wind could be a little wiggle them.
Background is excellent.

Since this is only a pre-alpha the quality is mind-boggling.  :D

You're absolutely right. The track environments were made in quite a hurry but we'll be sure to update them soon. Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:47:17 AM by Ben Lind »
Overly talkative 3D-artist

Big Ron

You're absolutely right. The track environments were made in quite a hurry but we'll be sure to update them soon. Thanks for your input!

I am not sure how the track environment can be called mediocre. From the perspective of visuals, the track sides and environment fit in the overall visuals pretty well. I mean, we are not judging "track design" here but graphics and from that point of view track environment are anything but mediocre. Grass, surface shaders and objects are pretty well done already and don´t stand out or rather fall behind the car details that much. Vehicles, environment and effects are a good looking and creating a fitting unit, not submitting this typical "100.000 polygon-cars vs. low-poly track side objects"-situation you have in some games.
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25

LUNITIC_WILL

gravel gives me a rally feel like sliding around corners
"one shall stand, one shall fall" Optimus Prime 1984-present

eobet

Seems I'm the second guy to vote "mediocre".

While the lighting and cars absolutely deserve 4 or 5 stars, the tracks currently do not, imo.

All greenery, including grass and trees feels like they're "glowing", or painted by a kid's idea of how green looks in nature. It's not very realistic to me, but it's a very difficult thing, because Assetto Corsa and Project CARS (on some tracks) also have problems with it... you might find me overly critical, but iRacing is almost the only game that nails this look (if you don't count Dirt 3 and Grid 2 but those who use color filters too much in order to blend everything together).

Also, the distant grass have very ugly pop-in, and even up close, all grass seem oddly out of place... like they're really billboards (not just in the technical sense). Other games with tall grass blends things together much better, and the trees don't feel very 3D at all here, even though they are.

Hopefully things will be smoothed out in the future, though. It's a very good start!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:26:46 PM by eobet »

RatPat

To Big Ron. I do admit that I am seeking perfection. In my opinion, an important factor is that all the elements must be the same high quality.
Yes, The illusion of the real environment is still a work in progress. It still missing from the wind blowing in the trees and blades of grass. As well the branches and grass to bend when the car encounters them. ect, etc.
But You are right about perfomanse stuff. As Shivaxi said in http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,2122.0.html
to the pieces. That if your computer is enough power then you can have lot of pieces. If not, you can
as you adjust the setting to a lower. I also would add do the same thing ghost pole, crane, etc object. I would add to the list trees and lawn. as well as many things I mentioned in http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,1470.msg23003.html#msg23003.
Render thing I membered http://www.umbrasoftware.com/en/.

Usmovers_02

I voted 5 stars but I would have rather voted 9/10. I know there's a lot of detail objects yet to be added so my rating is based purely on the derby arena which feels the most complete. I can't realistically ask for a better graphics to FPS ratio. The game is beautiful, the cars look great, shadows even on medium are crisp (something many games can't seem to manage even on max), and the color scheme is great. They're not top of the line graphics (I've been playing way too much Forza 5 lol) but they do what they're trying to do VERY well. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that needs improving is the detail level on car interiors.

Col. Sandels

Five stars. Even for a pre-Alpha, the graphics quality is stunning. The game is visually at a state it could be shipped as-it-is. All the way from the garage backdrops to the particle effects of a crash are top notch, even on lower settings.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,4Ghz || Zotac GTX 470 || GeForce 8400 GS || Asus M4A79XTD Evo || NEXUS RX-6300 || 8GB Kingston || Bunch of crappy HDDs || Windows 8.1

crazychris4124

graphics are good but look rough when you are about 5-10 car lengths behind the pack. also my frame rate drops to 30 and stays there when i have v sync on.

-I5-3750k CPU
-AMD Sapphire 7950 3gb GPU
-Samsung 8 GB RAM
-Western Digital 1 TB HDD 7200 RPM
-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms Response Time Monitor
-Rosewill LIGHTNING 800W 80 Plus Gold
-ASRock Z77 Extreme4
-Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower
-Razer Taipan Mouse
-Logitech G110 Keyboard
-Avermedia Live Gamer Portable

Snorlax

Maxed out and didn't drop a frame with GTX 780.

Voted 5*, was impressed with alpha graphics!

Woofer

:o i'm amazed with the graphics, though if you could fix the framerate drops when there is a lot of crashes that would be good, i also had some issues with the anti aliasing. As said before cars should get dirty, and sparks when ramming would be soo cool.

St. Jimmy

I voted 4 stars but I'm 95% sure that graphics will be worth of 5 stars later. Only small things and these aren't all about the tracks:

- Green grass (and ground?) doesn't look natural. Bit too bright.
- The brown areas outside of the track in gravel could have some vegetation to so more different colored vegetation is welcome.
- Some rocks would be welcome.
- I would like to see tracks with less mountain landscape.
- Add different weather options

- Sometimes too much bloom. I don't like that effect much so option to remove or reduce it would be welcome.
- Remove lens flare in first person view (cockpit view). Real human eye can't see them but other views can have those.
- Mirrors don't work right yet but I can see that they're under development because I can see something from the left mirror.
- Needs more anti-aliasing options.

Great job so far.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

palker

I think that the grass looks excellent especially the tarmac track has some nice and cheerful greenery around it. It has really nice summer vibe and now during grey and foggy winter in a city surrounded by even greyer concrete it is a joy to see.

MadFinnTech

I voted for three stars (mediocre) and here's why:

First of all, graphics are great in places where they are actually done well like in car bodies, tires, road surface etc, in the obvious places. But rough edges are showing in the places like car interior, drivers in the cars, track background and sides objects.

This is common in games now days, you put high poly counts in your main characters etc. and for performance reasons and to save development costs you usually pay less attention to detail what's happening outside the main attraction. I know lot of people don't pay attention to details like this, but I do and have always done.

That's why I think graphics are mediocre, they shine in places where they really should, but not so much in other places where only minority of the players will pay attention to.
MadFinnTech.com Asiaa peleistä - Peliblogi, uudet pelit, retro pelit, artikkeleita ja videoita. MadFinnTech myös Youtubessa.

Big Ron

I voted for three stars (mediocre) and here's why:

First of all, graphics are great in places where they are actually done well like in car bodies, tires, road surface etc, in the obvious places. But rough edges are showing in the places like car interior, drivers in the cars, track background and sides objects.

This is common in games now days, you put high poly counts in your main characters etc. and for performance reasons and to save development costs you usually pay less attention to detail what's happening outside the main attraction. I know lot of people don't pay attention to details like this, but I do and have always done.

That's why I think graphics are mediocre, they shine in places where they really should, but not so much in other places where only minority of the players will pay attention to.

You already answered why there are detailed and non-detailed areas but still complain? Developers have a budget of how much details (textures, polygons, shaders) they can use for a running environment to keep their engine running smooth. That is calles ressource-management and the reason why details get less the further away you get from the main areas of the game. You can't put the same level of details in outer terrains like at the main areas. Otherwise framerates would decrease or the engine wouldn't handle it without performance decrease. So, as you already said, most details are spend in areas people pay attention to and less in areas where people care less or which aren't obvious in gameplay. Where is the sense to put details in areas nobody cares about?

Snd by the way: you should tell the devs which areas you mean. Telling that something is wrong without telling what it is doesn't help the developers to improve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:17:53 PM by Big Ron »
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25