Poll

How would you rate our graphics in the Early Access?

One star * (Very bad)
1 (0.2%)
Two stars ** (Bad)
2 (0.3%)
Three stars *** (Mediocre)
53 (9%)
Four stars **** (Great)
334 (56.8%)
Five stars ***** (Excellent)
198 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 586

Author Topic: POLL: RATE OUR GRAPHICS  (Read 21124 times)

MadFinnTech

I voted for three stars (mediocre) and here's why:

First of all, graphics are great in places where they are actually done well like in car bodies, tires, road surface etc, in the obvious places. But rough edges are showing in the places like car interior, drivers in the cars, track background and sides objects.

This is common in games now days, you put high poly counts in your main characters etc. and for performance reasons and to save development costs you usually pay less attention to detail what's happening outside the main attraction. I know lot of people don't pay attention to details like this, but I do and have always done.

That's why I think graphics are mediocre, they shine in places where they really should, but not so much in other places where only minority of the players will pay attention to.

You already answered why there are detailed and non-detailed areas but still complain? Developers have a budget of how much details (textures, polygons, shaders) they can use for a running environment to keep their engine running smooth. That is calles ressource-management and the reason why details get less the further away you get from the main areas of the game. You can't put the same level of details in outer terrains like at the main areas. Otherwise framerates would decrease or the engine wouldn't handle it without performance decrease. So, as you already said, most details are spend in areas people pay attention to and less in areas where people care less or which aren't obvious in gameplay. Where is the sense to put details in areas nobody cares about?

Snd by the way: you should tell the devs which areas you mean. Telling that something is wrong without telling what it is doesn't help the developers to improve.

It doesn't mean if I know answers to my questions the problems isn't there. And of course balance with performance and graphical fidelity must be struck. You ask which areas, I thought I told which areas. Near track side objects and especially in-car details, if they are going to keep that view. I didn't mean the overall look of the game isn't good. I meant that some people look for details above the obvious places. I for one is someone who probably isn't never satisfied with computer graphics, I find always things to nitpick.

And considering how well this game runs even at this early stage I don't see problem with adding details. And I'm sure they do.
MadFinnTech.com Asiaa peleistä - Peliblogi, uudet pelit, retro pelit, artikkeleita ja videoita. MadFinnTech myös Youtubessa.

Kreij

Ben,

Since you asked for votes on the state of the graphics in the "pre-alpha" stage, I gave an excellent rating, as they are indeed excellent. The art team has done a fantastic job and things will just get better as you put more time into the less important details.

That being said, don't forget to ask us this again after final release. ;)

On a side note, the designers, coders, audio people and everyone else on the Bugbear team have also done a stellar job with the game so far ... including your IT people who are probably spending many sleepless nights anticipating a total network failure right when you kick off the final build.

I worked in IT for over 30 year and felt the need to give them some kudos too. :)
Great job all around.

friiky2

Voted four stars:

I hope that good anti aliasing will be added later. =) But so far niiiccceee. =)
AMD FX-8350 | ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 | 16GB Corsair Vengance | Sapphires R9 290 Tri-X OC | 1080p | SSD | Xbox 360 Controller

Usmovers_02

AA is fine if you run it through the Nvidia control panel but there are still issues with the smoke.

Internetlad

For the stage of development the game is in, the visuals are a treat. Room for improvement? Sure. Best game I've ever seen? Of course not, but considering it's in alpha, it's off to a damn good start. Kudos to the art dept.

MrCompAddict

I have a friend that had a huge issue with his graphics. The system did not register his gpu, so he was stuck using the internal graphics, which were terrible. Maybe it had something to do with his system running windows 8, but regardless it was very bizarre.

DiamondSnake

I give a 5 star rating on the graphics, they look very good :)

sllution

Finally a game with destruction and somethig called a 'funfactor'  :D good work

DudewHorns

I am amazed at how well the game runs with all the havoc on the screen, and would be happy enough with it as is.
The graphics are nice enough for my taste, but if you want to add some or all of the stuff mentioned by the other
peeps on here please do.

I know that it is still in the alpha stage, but even the little things look really good. For instance the skid marks are
persistent and they end where the vehicle stops. Also when they leave the tarmac, they leave a nice dirt trail across
the grass. (I found these little details out as I was sliding along the road upside down :P)

Keep on making that magic!
5 out of 5 from me.

Hoodlum

Gave 3 stars.

Playing Forza 5 a lot these days, sometimes still Grid 2/NFS Most Wanted and Rivals on PC. And while the cars in the apha look fine and the damage physics are awesome the environment/track looks outdated at the moment.

But i think with using some more effects (fog here, an added filter there) and some (reasonable) work on the textures of trees and stuff it would easily be bumped up to 4 stars (performance is awesome for an alpha, so sacrifising a few fps for that should be a no brainer for people with up to date gaming rigs  :), all optional of course).

For 5 stars weather would be needed, reflections, details, on a completely higher level.

Don't get me wrong, if it will be 4 stars in its release state people will love it - me included.

I don't want to be harsh, but it doesn't help bugbear if people on threads like this compare it to destruction derby on the ps1 and praise the alpha like it's a gfx prodigy - and in the end people used to the "high end" stuff give it a 6/10 in the reviews...

Ros3

they're great, but there are a few bugs that have been annoying me (all of which have been stated in here). Hopefully, these problems will be fixed. From what I can see of the art design though: I have no complaints. It all seems to fit together nicely.

Arphag

The cars look beautiful with many details and i really love the destruction system.I would wish for dynamic destruction in the environment too but this isn't that important. Much more important are the effects. Sorry, but they look terrible, like from early ps3 games. I don't know if your engine supports it, but I would really like to see volumetric effects at least as an option for high end pcs. So smoke, fire, explosions etc. would look awesome and not that flat. Maybe you can add some more effects to the lens flare that it looks a bit cooler, like in gta or battlefield.
But all in all its good for its early access state.

Big Ron

I am amazed at how well the game runs with all the havoc on the screen, and would be happy enough with it as is.
The graphics are nice enough for my taste, but if you want to add some or all of the stuff mentioned by the other
peeps on here please do.

Forza 5 looks already outdated, too. Nobody trusts these fake-screenshots in the photo mode, anymore.

The cars look beautiful with many details and i really love the destruction system.I would wish for dynamic destruction in the environment too but this isn't that important.

The environment has dynamic destruction. I mean destructable fences, walls and objects and exploding tire stacks is dynamic at its best. Or do you mean the surfaces like in SpinTires?
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25

KingOfTheCakes

I'm not really much of a graphics whore, but I do have to say that the game looks great already. My favorite thing has to be the inside and outside details of the cars. :)

Rated 5 btw.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

Usmovers_02

peeps on here please do.

Forza 5 looks already outdated, too. Nobody trusts these fake-screenshots in the photo mode, anymore.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Oh man, this has to be one of the funniest things I've read on this forum in a while!! Thanks, I needed that. You can argue that there are games with better graphics for sure (I'd agree). You can even argue that there are racing games with better graphics (I'd disagree but I'm not too familiar with PCars) but calling the mid race graphics "dated" means you're either a fanboy of some other franchise or simply have no idea what you're talking about... or you're blind.