Author Topic: Tarmac tyres on gravel track.  (Read 1924 times)

Cornkid

ISSUE
Car handles much better on gravel with the tarmac tyres
DESCRIPTION
I would of thought that slick tarmac tyres should perform worse than grooved gravel tyres on the gravel track, quite the opposite is the case, gravel tyres just dont seem to have the correct traction, or the tarmac ones are overdone.
SCREENSHOT/VIDEO

DEV STATUS

DEV COMMENT

Janne Suur-Näkki

Actually, the reason why that happens is that the tarmac tires are Class 3 tires whereas the gravel tires are Class 1, it's just not mentioned anywhere. Now you could argue that even given that it doesn't make any sense as far as real-world performance is considered, and you'd be right - we will need to rethink how to go about it.

Cornkid

Actually, the reason why that happens is that the tarmac tires are Class 3 tires whereas the gravel tires are Class 1, it's just not mentioned anywhere. Now you could argue that even given that it doesn't make any sense as far as real-world performance is considered, and you'd be right - we will need to rethink how to go about it.

Kinda makes a bit more sense now you've explained class differences, could I also presume then, that with them being a class 3 tyre, they are super duper grippy on tarmac, and we will see lesser class tyres having  having less traction on tarmac ?

Not trying to split hairs as tbh, I would prefer a bit less traction on tarmac, by using lesser classed tarmac tyres.

Majatek

If you could rebalance how the 3 classes of tyres work, that would be great. For example:
  • A class-3 tyre (slick) will provide the most grip on tarmac, while conversely will have the least grip on off-road surfaces (mud/grass/etc).
  • A class-2 tyre (all-terrain) will provide more grip on off-road surfaces than a class-1 or class-3 tyre, but has the least amount of grip on tarmac road surfaces.
  • A class-1 tyre (all-weather) will provide more grip than a class-2 tyre on tarmac and more grip than a class-3 tyre on off-road surfaces,
    but doesn't provide the most grip out of all the tyre choices as it is the “middle ground” of the bunch. The positives of the class-1 tyre is that it does not have the lowest grip on any particular road surface unlike the extremes that the class-2 and class-3 tyres have.
Put simply if you're going to be off-roading for the entirety of the race (ala the track "Gravel"), it would be wise to use a class-2 tyre as it will provide the most consistent grip. However, if it's a rally-like course that has multiple surface conditions, going with a class-2 tyre will most likely end up slowing you down on the tarmac sections of the track. It would be foolish to use a set of class-3 tyres in a rally condition as while the on-road sections will give you a better laptime, the off-road sections will leave you spinning your wheels in the mud. A class-1 would be the perfect "in-between" for such multi-surface tracks, but would not perform as well as class-2 tyres in an off-road situation nor as well as class-3 tyres in an on-road situation.
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

Cornkid

If you could rebalance how the 3 classes of tyres work, that would be great. For example:
  • A class-3 tyre (slick) will provide the most grip on tarmac, while conversely will have the least grip on off-road surfaces (mud/grass/etc).
  • A class-2 tyre (all-terrain) will provide more grip on off-road surfaces than a class-1 or class-3 tyre, but has the least amount of grip on tarmac road surfaces.
  • A class-1 tyre (all-weather) will provide more grip than a class-2 tyre on tarmac and more grip than a class-3 tyre on off-road surfaces,
    but doesn't provide the most grip out of all the tyre choices as it is the “middle ground” of the bunch. The positives of the class-1 tyre is that it does not have the lowest grip on any particular road surface unlike the extremes that the class-2 and class-3 tyres have.
Put simply if you're going to be off-roading for the entirety of the race (ala the track "Gravel"), it would be wise to use a class-2 tyre as it will provide the most consistent grip. However, if it's a rally-like course that has multiple surface conditions, going with a class-2 tyre will most likely end up slowing you down on the tarmac sections of the track. It would be foolish to use a set of class-3 tyres in a rally condition as while the on-road sections will give you a better laptime, the off-road sections will leave you spinning your wheels in the mud. A class-1 would be the perfect "in-between" for such multi-surface tracks, but would not perform as well as class-2 tyres in an off-road situation nor as well as class-3 tyres in an on-road situation.

This was the same solution I was coming up with.

It would be easy to lock tarmac tyres to tarmac only, but that wouldnt help on the mixed tracks.

Be interesting to see how this gets dealt with, I have faith in ya BB, this is a very important game factor, that affects all players, and should be a prority task over stuff like nitro for example.

Purple44

This worries me online. I would prefer all cars to use the stock tires in the pre-alpha. This tire make the dirt and tarmac tracks a challenge in the handling of the cars.

The tarmac tires make the races to easy. This worries me about an upgraded system that will make the cars to gripy, handle to easily, will make the racing online more about having better car than using your driving skills to win a race.

Or we need to have a hardcore mode with no assists and stock tire for online.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Majatek

This brings up another issue - upgrading engine blocks should technically increase car weight (amongst other upgrades), thus, Bugbear needs to make sure that each upgrade also has its downsides so that you don't end up with unbalanced silliness such as the class-3 slick tyres on gravel/off-road tracks gripping more than the class-2 gravel/off-road tyres.
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

deadmoroz14

This brings up another issue - upgrading engine blocks should technically increase car weight (amongst other upgrades), thus, Bugbear needs to make sure that each upgrade also has its downsides so that you don't end up with unbalanced silliness such as the class-3 slick tyres on gravel/off-road tracks gripping more than the class-2 gravel/off-road tyres.
+1
I had same thoughts
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950