Author Topic: Horrible new damage indicator...  (Read 1975 times)

AngusCP

So the update that arrived when the game appeared on Steam added a horrible new feature, the damage indicator which you usually see in FPS games. It makes me want to avoid crashing as it is just horrible. The screen goes dark and it doesn't work with a racing game. Please remove this or an option in the settings menu to disable it. Other than that, I really like this game.

Juuxu

Agreed, I don't really care where the damage comes from as this is showing it whit red damn lines. Definitely needs option to disable this!!
Tip: Push the gas pedal to go faster!

Crasher

I totally agree with the damage indicator, but i like the fast black screen :)

GottiPlays

Agree, we need an option to remove it, it's basically useless for gameplay.
maybe it's there to bug test something?

tzwientjuh

I like it :) reminds me of the Destruction Derby 2

I think it's helpful because you know where your car is damaged. For instance in a derby, You've crashed into several cars with the front of your car. It's now red and red means bad because the next crash you do, could be fatal for you.

So you drive backwards in order to get more points and/or survive longer.

Shortcut

aaaand when u drive backwards and look backwards the indicator Shows the false site where the damage Comes from :D
i think the game has a lot of more relevant things and not the damage indicator hm maybe bugbear can add an Option but it dont is a ''MUST''

crashkid3000

[sarcasm]C'mon, we've seen already HP-regeneration (Dirt: SHowdown), deathmatches (FO:UC) and health bars (FO2), so I think it became quietly normal to import from FPSs! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, when you see a red semicircle in the upper-righthand corner of your screen in a racing game, you think your car is under attack by the army or terrorists but not that your car might be hit by a paper box or another car. And AFAIK, this is a racing game and not a shooter, so this feature is confusing and unnecessary.
... enjoys wrecking other cars
1954. 1974. 1990. 2014. Ranking: #1

mr munkee

I like it :) reminds me of the Destruction Derby 2

I think it's helpful because you know where your car is damaged. For instance in a derby, You've crashed into several cars with the front of your car. It's now red and red means bad because the next crash you do, could be fatal for you.

So you drive backwards in order to get more points and/or survive longer.

They're not talking about the image of the car on the left showing the amount of damage, but the directional on screen indicator when you get hit. Like in shooters if you get hit from behind it has some type of indicator on the edge of the screen or in a circle around the crosshair at the bottom indicating you got hit from behind, along with the darkening of the edges of the screen when you get hit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:02:31 PM by mr munkee »

Musgroove

That's a bit of an over reaction. It's not horrible in the slightest, it's barely even noticeable. How can people complain about such tiny things? It's pointless, I agree with that, but it's not that bad.

One thing I do love is the effect around the edge of the screen when you take a hit. Adds that extra sense of pain.

tzwientjuh

They're not talking about the image of the car on the left showing the amount of damage, but the directional on screen indicator when you get hit. Like in shooters if you get hit from behind it has some type of indicator on the edge of the screen or in a circle around the crosshair at the bottom indicating you got hit from behind, along with the darkening of the edges of the screen when you get hit.

Sorry, misread :)

And indeed an indicator is not necessary because you can see where a car hits you. Not like an FPS as you can not see a speeding bullet :p

Mohasz

I think the devs got it and it will be removed (or at least optional) in the next update, there's a thread about it already.

RatPat

Although I do not particularly like Huds I do not deny them. They should be toggleable. I would suggest that lets try how to the screen changes redder, increasing panthing and other indicators for measuring HP reduction works.  :P

Iwasawa

Yeah, i dislike it too.

rebeldevil

What bugs me is the inconsistency of it. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Have it show every time you take damage or forget it.

KazzyMac

I dunno, I quite like it. Adds to the atmosphere.

I'll agree that being able to toggle it on/off would be a good idea, and it probably needs some more work anyways ... but I like it. o_o
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Vengeance C70 & Corsair H80 liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
2x Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
PNY nVidia GTX660 XLR8 Edition, 2GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1