Author Topic: Making of Flatout 1  (Read 24441 times)

Purple44

In Flatout 1 we didn't have placeholder objects. Every single object was placed by hand in 3ds Max. Each object had a name like "DYN_tire_A_I_single_01" that our engine would then read an handle accordingly.

Here's an example of forest track with all dynamic objects (4464 in total) marked with yellow:

I can relate to placing a bunch of objects. I use close to 3000 exploding gas bottle for a King of the Roof derby pit in Flatout 2. I did cheat and copy a few gas bottles at a time and paste them into the next roll.

Placing all them tires around a track, must of been fun. :o
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

Is it possible to model own tracks to any of the Flatout series games? How moddable are they?
I would love to do my own track as portfolio piece of my environment modeling skills..

We were unsuccessful in modding the terrain file ( track_geom.w32 ) in Flatout 1 & 2 and thanks to Pav and GulBroz, we got track editors that let use move and copy objects that are on the track.

And we were able to make new startpoints, splitpoints and spline points for our new tracks and derby pits.

Pavcules track editor for Flatout 1 ( I also use it to do startpoints and splitpoints for Flatout 2 ):

Here video of track you see in Pav editor above. We got Codemasters permission before Shadow converted GRID Jupiter to Flatout 2.

Here me moving a stack of cars ( before Pav release his track editor ) trying to find the right startpoint to put the cars in the barn so I could do a derby pit inside the barn.

GulBroz Blender track editor for Flatout 2. Made moving objects a lot easier:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:59:15 PM by Purple44 »

psychicparrot

Thanks for the info, Jukka, that's awesome!

How about AI pathing? Did you add AI waypoints in Maya, or was there some kind of cool AI editor tool for Flatout?

Cheers!
Jeff.

psychicparrot

Wow, Purple.. your post didn't appear when I replied earlier.. must have been all the images! Fantastic!

I take it that they are homegrown tools you were using there? What were all the splines for? Can you explain 'em? :)

Purple44

Wow, Purple.. your post didn't appear when I replied earlier.. must have been all the images! Fantastic!

I take it that they are homegrown tools you were using there? What were all the splines for? Can you explain 'em? :)

Ya, we have some pretty smart people at Flatout Joint that made us the tools. With out them, I would not been able to make the customs tracks and derby pits that I did.

About spline points, these points tell the AI were to go. AI will drive to the next spline point. Getting AI to take a turn well can be tricky. I would park my car near a turn, with a high in the air camera and watch the AI take the turn. If AI are going to wide to make turn, I adjust the spline point(s) until the AI do OK.

The pink and blue lines in the Flatout Track Editor pic are drawn between the spine points. Also the spline points is where your car will reset to.

Here some videos of the derby pits I did for Flatout 2:

Derby Flatout Joint style with DD pack. Part 1 

Derby Flatout Joint style with DD pack. Part 2

Derby Flatout Joint style with DD pack. Part 3 

Jukka Merikanto

We were unsuccessful in modding the terrain file ( track_geom.w32 ) in Flatout 1 & 2 and thanks to Pav and GulBroz, we got track editors that let use move and copy objects that are on the track.

And we were able to make new startpoints, splitpoints and spline points for our new tracks and derby pits.

Wow, good job on the editor!

How about AI pathing? Did you add AI waypoints in Maya, or was there some kind of cool AI editor tool for Flatout?

In Flatout 1 we added AI splines in 3ds Max. We had three splines to control: Left and right border lines that AI would try to avoid crossing and optimal driving line that AI tries to follow. So it was fairly simple. On Flatout 2 we had in-game editor for AI and we could see AI drivers change their driving lines in realtime according to our tweaks. I'll write more about our in-game editors in "Making of Flatout 2" later on.

Here's an example of AI splines in Flatout 1:

Shot 7.
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

John Burning

In FO1 there're awesome AI because of really agressive style of driving!

err

I tried to teach AI to drive on reverse or self made tracks but i never was successful. Line they can keep , but didn't find a way how to tell them when to brake, what speed to use, etc.

One example:

*click to see bigger picture ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:12:39 PM by err »

psychicparrot

I'm really looking forward to "Making of Flatout 2" :) ... thanks, Jukka! It's fantastic to see /read behind the scenes stuff about my favourite games!

John Burning

Have you got any arts of making the FOUC?

Nokikana

Hello everyone! I'm from Finland too! I found this forum yesterday by Flatout Joint. My favourite racing game is for sure Flatout! Hey, BugBear, should i speak finnish for you or english? I love your games! I hope that next Flatout-style game would be released. Nice shots you're got from map making. Many games in 2004 didn't have that detailed enviroments or cars. As John and Parrot said, Fo2 and FO:UC pics would be awesome! ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:00:59 AM by Nokikana »

MonK3Y

Absolutely awesome the insight about the making of the 1st FlatOut game!

GulBroz

Hey, BugBear, should i speak finnish for you or english?
I think you should stay in english, so that everybody here can understand you - else only the two of you will have fun...  ;)

Nokikana

Hey, BugBear, should i speak finnish for you or english?
I think you should stay in english, so that everybody here can understand you - else only the two of you will have fun...  ;)

Heheh... good idea. ;)

Heddly

This is a video of a track I thought of called for FlatOut 2. Purple44 was a big help with the minimap and ai . I think other tracks like this would be great, double reverse figure 8.