Author Topic: DOOM 4 still in the works. :)  (Read 2997 times)

Purple44

Came across this article today:

Doom 4 is alive: pre-order Wolfenstein: The New Order to get in the beta

I like playing DOOM 3 in the dark with the lights turn off. Game made me jump a few times!! Even got me a gaming keyboard for the game and still use it:

I will skip the beta, got my plate full for this year. But will checkout the game come release day.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

This weekend I been seeing players on my Steam friends list playing Doom open beta. SO I was wonder if this is the long waited for Doom 4?

Looking here I got a little history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_%282016_video_game%29

Doom (stylized as DOOM and originally known as Doom 4) is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by id Software and published by Bethesda Softworks. The game will be a reboot of the Doom series and is the first major installment in the series since the release of Doom 3 in 2004. Doom is set to be released on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on May 13, 2016.

It been a long wait:

As Doom 4

The game was announced as in production on May 7, 2008,[15] after John Carmack, then lead developer at id Software, hinted it at QuakeCon on August 3, 2007. The CEO of id Software, Todd Hollenshead, suggested that, like Doom II: Hell on Earth, it will take place on Earth, and will feature gameplay more akin to the original Doom games rather than the horror styled gameplay of Doom 3.

The Steam Doom open beta test of multiplayer getting mixed reviews:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470

I used to do FPS online with Team Fortress and Unreal Tourment 2004, but since I got hooked on online racing with Flatout 1, I don't do FPSers online anymore. These days I would get my butt kick online doing FPS.

So I stick to offline fun first person shooters, like Doom 3, Serious Sam and Borderland 2. Love playing Doom 3 in the dark and having them demons jump out at me scaring the crap out of me!!! And Doom 3 had some nice eye candy back in 2004.  :D

I'll probably wait and see what is said about the offline campaign and pick Doom 2016 up on a sale. Release date May 13, 2016. And I need to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider before I buy a new FPS.  :P

sam223

Also read the review of the open multiplayer beta. Seems a lot of complaints are that they changed the old arena mechanic of doom/quake/UT and instead gone for a more 'run of the mill' multiplayer experience. Grinding XP for unlocks,load outs etc, all that kind of call of duty shite.

Im with you in hoping the single player campaign decent or will probably give it a miss.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

conso1727

Also read the review of the open multiplayer beta. Seems a lot of complaints are that they changed the old arena mechanic of doom/quake/UT and instead gone for a more 'run of the mill' multiplayer experience. Grinding XP for unlocks,load outs etc, all that kind of call of duty shite.

Im with you in hoping the single player campaign decent or will probably give it a miss.
I'm not fond of executions, it depends how they will be implemented. If they are an eye candy tool, like good looking but that needs to be used carefully they can be a welcome addition, otherwise if they act as invincibility frames or even worse, the rest of the action stops while the execution animation runs, they are going to be game pacing destroyers, and in a "classic" FPS like Doom pacing is important.

The most important thing that you need to consider about this new Doom is that no one of the original developers is working on it, pretty much like the upcoming Flatout 4

Orbotnive T

I did download it and was interested in seeing it. 10GB later I put it on and found it was multiplayer deathmatch only.

"10GB for that?" I thought. Disappointed since I'd seen early video gameplay of that in the closed beta and it didn't look anything special.

Well I was still going to have a go after downloading it. But there were zero players around so I couldn't. I went and read a load of comments and reviews instead and it didn't sound worth playing eg nothing like DOOM  :)

So, I forgot about it and played Wreckfest. I'd like to see the single player still but it's unlikely I'll be getting this

Orbotnive T

I was just reading and looking more about open beta. This is a fair enough review  :)

And I had the thought of what I'd have preferred out of multiplayer aside from no loadouts, glowing brutality triggers you can't turn off  and weapons that punch harder.

A mode with slight similarity to left4dead that pits one doomguy against whatever number of players/demons that the game can handle. The point being to finish the level and win or get shredded by the demons and lose. There would be a basic tier system that starts demon players out as fodder like zombiemen and imps but over two or three tiers bring some of the players up the ranks as the level progresses. Demon players would respawn further back into the level each time they are killed guaranteeing they couldn't always congregate together and become overpowered.

There could then be communication between demon players with tactics. Set up some ambushes possibly by accessing tunnels vents etc that doomguy can't for closets, but hopefully it would not all end up too imbalanced since once the demon's dead he's not going to be able to get back to the action for a while. More like wait for a few more deaths to begin the strategy over, ever closer to the exit. The more deaths the demons suffer the greater the urgency to finish doomguy, with less time to think about tactics :)

So basically DOOM with smarter enemies. And everyone plays  :) Sounds like fun to me.

Purple44

If you did not pick up Doom last year, Doom on a Steam summer sale for 50% off. Can get it for $15.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/DOOM/

Been waiting for the Steam summer sale to pick Doom up.  :D

Big download thou, 66GB!  :o   I got a 2 hour download wait at 66.6 mbits speed.

Orbotnive T

Not tryin to be a downer exactly - but I prefer brutal doom ;)

Purple44

Not tryin to be a downer exactly - but I prefer brutal doom ;)

But that don't look scary enough to play in the dark with 5:1 sound system. Like I did with Doom 3.  :D

Orbotnive T

No you're right :) can you imagine playing doom3 VR though ? I think that might be TOO scary