Author Topic: GRID 2  (Read 14176 times)

Purple44

I gotta say, cars that aren't in the "Grip" category handle absolutely horribly. The cars are way too twitchy and for some reason you can't edit the dead zone.

Are you using a pad or a wheel?

Maybe this post help:

Good first impressions

Moto54 wrote:

The wheel support in the menus is better than most and I had zero trouble getting enough FFB for my liking. The physics cant be judged until you escape the first races and get into the options screen. Once done, and basing this on literally two cars (difficulty set to the highest, or 'Very Hard')  the driving is satisfying for a couple of reasons. 1, you dont have to drift like an idiot all the time to go fast. 2, the car balance is sophisticated enough that sometimes feathering the lift off the gas becomes the most important skill.. the cars are prone to some throttle-lift oversteer, and so feathering the lift is the way to keep from hanging the back out and is a satisfying skill in itself.

I'm using a 360 controller and there aren't any options available for tweaking it. Very disappointing considering past games have had options for at least adjusting sensitivity and the dead zone. I do love the cars in the grip category and am having a lot of fun with the game. I'm hoping someone figures out how to up the on-screen car count like they did with GRID 1. It looks to me like the game is very tweakable if you play around with the various files (Bugbear take note. Tweakable files = awesome).

Hmmm, the xbox 360 controller is on the PC support list, you should be able to go to the advance option menu.
Flatout Joint Looking for a Flatout mod?

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660, Sound Blaster Recon, Win7 64bit

Purple44

If you have not bought GRID 2 yet, might hold off and do a little reading here: GRID 2 - Technical Help

Some video cards, like a 660ti, having issues with GRID 2 and some others are having troubles too with their computers.

Where the DEMO!!

If your pad or wheel is not on the support list, good luck.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/Codies-Blog/GRID-2-Supported-Wheel-List/ba-p/233304

Advanced Wheel Settings please add

Loore wrote:
Just to confirm, advanced wheel options are only available if you're using a supported wheel.

This was not the case in GRID 1, you could have an unsupported wheel\pad and still get to advance settings.

Online is slow right now, players having trouble finding a host to join. Things may pick up when GRID 2 unlock for the UK and Europe.

GRID 2 – General Discussion

I'm still on the fence about buying GRID 2. Was leaning towards buying it yesterday, today reading the GRID 2 forums, not so sure now.

aerocrane

If your pad or wheel is not on the support list, good luck.

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/Codies-Blog/GRID-2-Supported-Wheel-List/ba-p/233304

Advanced Wheel Settings please add

Loore wrote:
Just to confirm, advanced wheel options are only available if you're using a supported wheel.

This was not the case in GRID 1, you could have an unsupported wheel\pad and still get to advance settings.

I think that Codemasters are allowing advanced settings only for these certain wheels because they are the ones that were tested. If any wheel could use advanced options, there might be problems and Codemasters don't want to be tech support for those guys. Sure, it is a bit unfortunate, but the list does feature the more popular and common wheels.

Usmovers_02

While the 360 controller certainly works perfectly fine on the PC version there are no advanced options. All I can do is remap buttons.

aerocrane

Remapping buttons and adjusting steering sensitivity would really be the only meaningful options for a gamepad. Can you adjust the steering sensitivity or is remapping buttons literally the only setting available for a gamepad?

Usmovers_02

There are no steering sensitivity or dead zone options for the 360 controller on PC unfortunately. And it's really hurting my enjoyment of the game because the cars are just WAY too sensitive.

Purple44

Hmmm, have to unplug mouse and KB to stop GRID 2 from freezing.  :o

GTX 560 Ti - FREEZE - every 20 - 30 mins

Hughesy wrote:

Vingleren wrote:

Sounds like your card is overheating. Mine is also running quite a bit hotter than usual, but it might be due to the amazing weather I'm having where I live.

It's not.... Look at the other threads with the same problem... I've talked to Loore about it and the devs are going to take a look. I know its not to do with heat as my PC is watercooled.

For me it hasn't crashed again since doing this.

Start the game and unplug your keyboard and mouse just leaving your wheel or controller plugged in and I haven't had a problem since, make sure you unplug it straight after the game launches

RacerBest

I got this game on friday. From videos I thought the handling would be horrible with DFGT wheel, but it's not. The drving model is 100% arcade, but with wheel it still feels very fun to slide the corners. I haven't even tried with normal controller because I'm doing so good with wheel and I'm already used to it.
Haven't played any multiplayer yet. I have over 2 million fans in singleplayer.  8)

RacerBest

I spotted Dai Yoshihara's drifting Nissan Silvia S13 in the short video clips that play in GRID 2 menu.  :) So that will be one of the cars included in the upcoming drift DLC pack. Also tier 2 has logo for drift class cars, but the game doesn't have any cars for that class yet.

Maybe in the video clips I see Supra too, but I'm not so sure about it.

Purple44

Major bug hitting PC and console players in GRID 2:

Apparent loss in progress...

baffula wrote:

I completed season 1 and was deep into season 2 when I decided to stop playing.

I came back to pick the game up again and was put back into season 1 at the WSR championship thing or whatever.  My finishing position was already there, but it appeared as though I had to play through it again in order to get back to season 2. 

Is this normal?  Is there something that happened with my save file?  Did I somehow switch back to season 1 and if so, how do I switch back to season 2?

GRID 2 patch release today does not fix this problem. These guys are still stuck at season one or stuck on one race track:

EngeHenk wrote:

Not stuck in S1 here, but the same type of issue regardless.

My save is just stuck at one particular race. At first when i started the game and booted me about 6 races back i just thought...maybe a save went wrong, no big deal.

But after quite a few hours of playing, going back today to see.....i'm back at that same **bleep** race. A total of about 4 hours of gametime beeing lost. And now stuck in a previous season of course.

On the PC(steam) version.

Win8 pro.

Edit: Just came across this, Steam can cause a problem with GRID 2.  :o

Pauses and stutters in OFFLINE.

FlakMagnet wrote:

I see many people reporting stuuttering in online mode, but I'm getting stuttering in offline races - not played online yet.

When starting the game, I can start a race and everything is smooth. I get around 100 fps in the menu and in the race. After a few laps, i start to see stutters and the frame arete starts to drop. The stuttering gets really bad towards the end of the race and becomes unplayable. The framerate at the end of the race is about 50, but it's not a smooth 50, it's very jerky.

Returning to the menu i see the framerate there has also dropped to between 35 and 50 with major stuttering. At this point, starting a new race does not fix the issue. I have to quit the game completely and restart it. Once I've done that, everything is back to normal again until i start racing again. First couple of laps, fine, then stuttering starts and gets slowly worse.

For my testing,  i set the graphics detail to the very lowest settings to try and rule out graphics performance. The stuttering was just as visible in the lowest settings as it was in the highest. I also noticed that the GPU never really went above 40 percent utilisation and CPU never above 39 percent (using the 4 and 8 core configurations - see below).

PC:
    Intel i7 920 @3.4GHz
    6GB RAM
    GTX 480 with latest 320.18 drivers
    G27 steering wheel

Game installed to HDD - raid 0. Non-system drive
    System drive is SSD

I noticed that in the System folder of the game,  there are some CPU configuration XML files. I swapped to using the 4 core and 8 core files, and althiugh these both improved my overall FPS, the stuttering was still a big issue.

The fix:

jrs71n wrote:

FIXED!!!!!!

For some silly reason Steam was running in compatibility mode!!!

All good now. Played for an hour no problems.

jrs71n wrote:

I just played it for another hour. No problems. Love the game.     

From what I have read windows puts steam into compatibility mode if steam crashes.     

Anyway, I'm glad its sorted. Now I can enjoy the game!!!!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:33:50 AM by Purple44 »

aerocrane

words

Running Steam in compatibility mode is not recommended, as it causes the client to also attempt to run the games with the same compatibility mode which may cause problems. It would be a weird source for a decrease in performance though.

RacerBest

This happened today.  ;D

aerocrane

I had this happen a few days ago in a offline race.

Purple44

A little GIRD 2 sarcasm:

Codemasters GRID2 - Multiplayer Q&A

d1ga wrote:

Q:  What process did you follow to create a clean, competitive multiplayer environment ?     

A:  We had a brainstorming session and decided to make the cars faster, the tracks narrower and make sure the cars slide around alot.

Q:  How did you design the car handling mechanics ?     

A:  Our research team spent many hours on real tracks and roads driving  the cars included in the game.  They found the most efficient way to get around a corner is to use the handbrake as it gives you more control and less loss of speed than using the apex on the racing line.  Many of us now use this technique in real life as it works so well.

Q:  What made you choose flashbacks for multiplayer ?     

A:  We decided that the flashbacks could really enhance the multiplayer experience.  If you feel the need to knock an opponent out of the way but accidently crash whilst performaing the maneuver, you can just hit the flashback button and try again.

Q:  Explain the damage model design ?     

A:  Our researchers studied hours of footage from real racing, they found that the majority of drivers use barriers, walls and other cars to get around the track.   We designed our damage model to suit this requirement.   It doesn't matter what you hit, you won't lose speed or wreck your car, it really gives the racing fans what they wanted.

Q:  Why didn't you feel the need to produce a demo of the game for your fans to try before buying ?     

A:  We were confident the game would tick all of the boxes our fans required and as you can see from their feedback, they fell in love with it as soon as they played it.

Q:  Have you got a something you can show us to encourage your fans to buy the game ?     

A:  We don't think they will need any encouragment when the see the feedback from other fans, but here is a link to a video.  This really highlights the way our handling, damage, flashbacks and more come together to create the best online multiplayer racing environment ever seen.