Author Topic: KICKSTARTER? FLATOUT? KICKSTARTER AND FLATOUT?  (Read 2929 times)

John Burning

Hey all! Is it real to make new FO with using of Kickstarter? I mean, the name of the game and help by fans?

GoldenApe

Racegames probably require a lower budget than the avarage AAA game, unless you want a gazillion licensed cars like Gran Turismo, and Bugbear already has a solid foundation for the engine, but I think you'd still be talking about a pretty big amount of money. I mean, if you look at the Carmageddon remake, they asked for $400k, after already putting in pretty much the same amount themselves. So if that's any indication, you're easily looking at a 1 million dollar aim (also considering Kickstarter's cut and all the goodies for all tiers), which is a LOT of money to ask from the fans. And Bugbear doesn't really have the status of a Tim Schafer, or the legacy of a Carmageddon or Wasteland.

That's not to say I don't believe Bugbear can do a kickstarter, but I just doubt if they can rely 100% on crowdfunding for a racegame that should be able to compete with the AAA out there.
Then again I'm making all sorts of assumptions without knowing anything about the cost of making a racegame, so...

Purple44

Racegames probably require a lower budget than the avarage AAA game, unless you want a gazillion licensed cars like Gran Turismo, and Bugbear already has a solid foundation for the engine, but I think you'd still be talking about a pretty big amount of money. I mean, if you look at the Carmageddon remake, they asked for $400k, after already putting in pretty much the same amount themselves. So if that's any indication, you're easily looking at a 1 million dollar aim (also considering Kickstarter's cut and all the goodies for all tiers), which is a LOT of money to ask from the fans. And Bugbear doesn't really have the status of a Tim Schafer, or the legacy of a Carmageddon or Wasteland.

That's not to say I don't believe Bugbear can do a kickstarter, but I just doubt if they can rely 100% on crowdfunding for a racegame that should be able to compete with the AAA out there.
Then again I'm making all sorts of assumptions without knowing anything about the cost of making a racegame, so...

What I like about Stainless\Carmageddon: Reincarnation using kickstarter, is it allowed Stainless to develop Carmageddon: Reincarnation without using a publisher. So Stainless won't have the pressure of a publisher like Strategy first forcing you to release a game before it ready.

This one reason I made a pledge and I made $25 pledge so I could help beta test  Carmageddon: Reincarnation. I also did this with rFactor 2 so I could beta test rFactor 2. rFactor 2 coming along nicely.

If Bugbear were to do something like this, I would support them if they promise to deliver a PC game, not a console port like Ridge Racer was.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Joonas Laakso

I'm not saying anything on Kickstarter, but just a quick note on how much it costs to make a game, since there seems to be some confusion (not here specifically, though):

By far the most money goes into paying the team's salaries. If you take for example twenty guys - somewhat realistic for making a nice driving game these days with limited content - and making the game is going to take a year (which is short), you're going to need 20*12 monthly salaries just for the guys. That's 240 times a monthly salary. The US average monthly income of a game developer in 2011 was $5116 (according to Gamasutra).

The real monthly cost per employee is actually higher because you need to pay insurance, social security, and so forth. Add in rent for offices, tools, licensing of music, fonts, any trademarks, middleware, ...

All told, you shouldn't expect to run a twenty-man team for a year for anything less than 1,5 million US dollars - or a hundred thousand plus per month if that's easier to understand. That's not being greedy - it's just the cost of making games. It used to be that if you had a publisher, they would finance all this. Now that we're playing around with other forms of financing, the same amount of money still needs to be found somewhere.

Motoko

5 116 $ x 20 (employee)  = 102 320 x12 (months) = 1 227 840.

1 227 840 $ for one year, 2 445 680 $ for 2 years...

(Except for insurance, social security, offices, tools, trademark, ect...)

Wow That's colossal o_o I hope you will find an editor

err

The US average monthly income of a game developer in 2011 was $5116 (according to Gamasutra).

So game developers make more money than President in my country.  :P
It almost makes pirates Robin Hood like.

Joonas Laakso

The US average monthly income of a game developer in 2011 was $5116 (according to Gamasutra).

So game developers make more money than President in my country.  :P
It almost makes pirates Robin Hood like.

Actually, game developers - especially programmers - could easily make much more money, much more easily... by not working on games. Games do not pay that well, especially considering how hard the work is. Many of the guys in the industry (and also at the Bugbear office) have switched from working on something else to lower pay, just to be able to work on games. For most game developers, money just isn't a major motivation for work.

When talking to students about working in a game studio, I always instruct them that if there's something else you could do, go do that. It'll be easier and you'll be wealthier. Only work in games if it's where your heart is.

I'm not sure about the exact law but kickstarter type crowdfunding is either illegal / made difficult or somehow forbidden in Finland anyway.. I hope someone clears this. But there have been news about this lately..