Author Topic: Flatout ALPHA/BETA MEGAish THREAD  (Read 8162 times)

Nokikana

This thread, is made to cover (almost) all things that have something to do with the alpha and beta stages of the first Flatout.

1. Superchargers

As you can clearly see on this picture, this Ranker 1 has a supercharger coming throught the bonnet, which looks like the charger in the upgrade shop. Was there a reason to leave it out? It looked neat!

2. Unused window texture

In this picture you can see, that the back window of the MACHine looks like it's shot with a gun of a kind. The windows however don't look like this in the retail game. Any reason for this?

3. Unused paintjobs

Man, I could talk about this for like 10 hours or so! There's alot with this stuff. On the upper picture, you can see the retail Pepper with an unused purple like paint. Next to the Pepper, there is a Fasthammer with also an unused blue+brown paintjob, alongside a Speedevil, with ALSO an unused yellow paintjob, that still has the same pattern, as one of the AI driver's Speedevil. There is also 2 Overrunners. The one closer to the Pepper has the default paintjob, that still seems somewhat more saturated. The second Overrunner has one of the 2 AI paintjobs, but little different. The green color seems to have some purple in it too. Also, the Bonecracker behind the second Overrunner has an unused red paintjob. Whooof. And alongside the ununsed window texture. The rest of the pictures also show unused paintjobs.

4. Unused cars

There were a few cars, that didn't make it very long after the Alpha stages of the game. But thanks to the awesome people on BugBear, that released the retro sneak-peek, we got alot of information about the games development stages. I assume that you didn't have the space to get all the cars in the game, huh?

5. Unused game elements

Last but not least, Id like to cover the removal of some game elements. I totally understand, that if something just doesn't work, you cannot try to fix it forever. On one of the many, MANY pictures that slide along in the credits video of Flatout, there is a framed picture, that looks like concept art of the sand pit tracks. But next to the lake, there is a deer drinking water! And further away, you can see birds flying! Did animals ever have a chance to be in the game? Or was it just in that picture? Secondly, one of the pictures shows a few cars and an explosion. No explosions found in retail game... Also, I've been wondering, why were the detailed interiors of the cars removed in the retail game? The first-person camera looked so awesome!

Okay. Here it is. Best thing I could get, would be one or more of the devs explaining the absense/difference on atleast most of these things. If some of the devs would have time to do so, of course. Kiitos.

- Suokukko
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:52:17 PM by Nokikana »

dbs213

Quite a shame really, I'd love to see all those unused content being recreated (at least the unused liveries) in the game.
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

RacerBest

Great post. Flatout 1 is awesome and it is interesting to see stuff that could have been in the game (already knew some of these).

Daystar

I am so curious if any of the Developers will elaborate on the questions you give them! and what the answers could be?!
awesome post really!  8)

Nokikana

Thank you for the awesome feedback! I really wish that some dev would have time to have a look at this! :D

SunnyNewEngland

Excellent, excellent post!  Saved me the trouble, actually. I had many of the same questions yesterday after I beat the game with the Pepper and watched the credits roll.

I thought I should ask if they could release some playable alpha stuff, but I figured maybe everything after the retro demo became "FlatOut" business, and thus the property of someone else.

Plus, of course, the Bugbears are busy now with NCG, so maybe we need to practice patience.

Still, I would love to have that unused car with the 'Shaker' grille in FlatOut. In fact I would love to have all the Derby Class cars from FlatOut UC on the FlatOut 1 tracks with FlatOut 1 handling.  Well, that's kind of the dream of NCG, isn't it?

Nokikana

Well, I guess the devs are kinda busy... Of course I understand that.

SunnyNewEngland

Despite trying to sound sage and balanced in my previous post I was, in reality, checking the front page a few times a day for at least a week eagerly hoping to see a Bugbear avatar next to the FlatOut discussions with a generous response and a bounty of links for many unused cars and textures and elements, only to very gradually and eventually accept that it would really, truly not be so. At least for now. :D

With NCG we always know a pleasant surprise is coming. As soon one update arrives it just means the next one is coming. In this way, trusting Bugbear as we do, the joy is constant.

findRED

I have not played FlatOut, (but have played FlatOut 2), and I have the 2002 demo.  This is all very cool, and it reminds me of my all-time favorite racing game, Midtown Madness 2!  Someone who knows how to mod Flatout should try to find the original content in the core of the game, if it hasn't been done already.  This was done in Midtown Madness 1 & 2 and the modding community found many little items like unused paint jobs, unused cars, unfinished versions of the tracks, and dev test tracks.

Can this also help find those missing alpha and beta items in Flatout, just to reproduce them as mods (as was done with the MM 1&2), or were they totally wiped from the final versions of the game?
Laptop:
i7 3630QM 4core 2.4GHz
GT 645M 2GB
6GB RAM

“I created a theme song for the door.” -Unknown Game Composer

MM2 Mods

Janne Suur-Näkki

I wasn't on the team at the time FlatOut was made but I'll try to get some answers from the old hands for your guys.

In most cases the explanations are pretty mundane, though. Game development is very much about iteration, iteration and iteration, and during the development process many things are iterated on constantly, with the first submission often being something called 'a placeholder', i.e. a temporary check-in that's supposed to give some idea of how the end result will function or look like. That mostly explains why models and other assets keep on changing between development shots. Also, there's always quite a bit of prototyping going on in the development, but at some point time (and money) is running out, and content/features need to cut, often resulting in some sort of leftovers.

Daystar

I wasn't on the team at the time FlatOut was made but I'll try to get some answers from the old hands for your guys.

In most cases the explanations are pretty mundane, though. Game development is very much about iteration, iteration and iteration, and during the development process many things are iterated on constantly, with the first submission often being something called 'a placeholder', i.e. a temporary check-in that's supposed to give some idea of how the end result will function or look like. That mostly explains why models and other assets keep on changing between development shots. Also, there's always quite a bit of prototyping going on in the development, but at some point time (and money) is running out, and content/features need to cut, often resulting in some sort of leftovers.

Interesting reply none the less!  :D

Purple44

Like the unfinish Tag mode we found in Flatout 2. Wish very hard that Bugbear could finish Hunter\Prey tag for NCG!!  :) :) :) :)

I enjoy this mode very much online, until someone drop while we were still in the middle of Tag, and could not get back to lobby when timer run out. Host had to restart host again.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel