Author Topic: Future plans of Rally Trophy?  (Read 12748 times)

maniamann

Hi.

I'm great fan of Rally Trophy and I think that after all these years it would need it's sequel. Nowadays there isn't any good and realistic rally simulator game. Ok, I know about those track racing games with online racing and so on but we really need pure rally game with old classic cars and group B monsters. What could be better than such a game with modern graphics, physics and modding possibilities? 8)

carsrmylife

If you ask me, I love this game.  I use to have it with my Windows XP before the computer died on me and I was sad about that.  Now that I have a Mac OSX Lion, I'm very disappointed that this game was never made compatible with Apple.  I would love to play the game again if only Bugbear made it Mac Compatible.  They ought to release it again with that option.

GoldenApe

If you ask me, I love this game.  I use to have it with my Windows XP before the computer died on me and I was sad about that.  Now that I have a Mac OSX Lion, I'm very disappointed that this game was never made compatible with Apple.  I would love to play the game again if only Bugbear made it Mac Compatible.  They ought to release it again with that option.
I don't think it's really realistic to ask a developer to port an 11 year old game to a new platform, just for the 10 or 20 people that would want to play it again. And that's the problem with making new rally games as well: there's just not that many people interested in these games. Or at least not in terms of market percentages and other numbers publishers will be interested in. It'd probably make a nice crowdfunding project though.

psychicparrot

Seeing what a hard time WRC3 has had getting distributed (it's not even available in North America for consoles) and given that the actual WRC is struggling so much (losing two major sponsors and failing to get proper TV coverage.) it's tough to know if there would be enough of a market for it.

I would absolutely love a new Rally Trophy - I still play the original sometimes and I think it's an awesome game.. but I'd understand if it didn't happen given that the racing genre is niche and the rally genre within the racing genre is even more niche :(

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:16:00 PM by psychicparrot »
Jeff W. Murray
@PsychicParrot

Twitter: https://twitter.com/psychicparrot
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/psychicparrot

RacerBest

On Steam, Greenlight has proven that racing games aren't exactly popular with the 'general public' - big games like Gas Guzzlers, WRC3 and Crash Time games all failing to get enough votes to get on Steam.
Yeah I want Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Steam but truck simulators aren't very popular so no one votes for it.  :(

Birddogg66

I don't think it's really realistic to ask a developer to port an 11 year old game to a new platform, just for the 10 or 20 people that would want to play it again. And that's the problem with making new rally games as well: there's just not that many people interested in these games. Or at least not in terms of market percentages and other numbers publishers will be interested in. It'd probably make a nice crowdfunding project though.
From what I am seeing people are screaming for Rally titles and a Historic Rally title would be very well accepted if done as realistic as possible along with great support
I have been a member of this forum for over a year why am I still a newbie?

Mopower

From what I am seeing people are screaming for Rally titles and a Historic Rally title would be very well accepted if done as realistic as possible along with great support

I haven't seen too many people screaming for rally games... There always seems to be enough to keep people satisfied... Dirt, microsoft's rally game (Forget the name), gran turismo has a couple of rally races. However, there are not many derby games... Especially realistic ones. Other than one extremely old one called DDF8.

By realistic, I mean the way it's played, not the graphics/physics etc... There are many realistic  rally and racing games out there. Not hard to find either
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

AltS7

Quote from: Mopower
There are many realistic  rally and racing games out there. Not hard to find either
Not really. I know only few: Richard Burns Rally (considered the best), Xpand Rally, WRC series.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:21:41 PM by AltS7 »

Mopower

Quote from: Mopower
There are many realistic  rally and racing games out there. Not hard to find either
Not really. I know only few: Richard Burns Rally (considered the best), Xpand Rally, WRC series.

Okay, and you consider those good, realistic rally games right? The fact that you can get 3 great games in a SPECIFIC genre of RACING games should be considered a decent amount as there are probably 50 mediocre ones.

Birddogg66

I think you would be surprised over the demand for rally titles ATM Codemasters have moved in a different direction with the Dirt Series and Milestone is just not cutting it with it's WRC titles. The fact Rally Trophy was based on historic Rally is a great conceptual idea and would have much respect from the Hardcore Rally players and then to offer different era's of Rally moving toward the modern I think would work very well. Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned different game modes which I think is a good idea to reach a larger audiance and like I have said the grapics for it's time were awesome in Rally Trophy and the driving model was very good IMO. If I am allowed to pull one leverage Ace out of my sleeve I use it now to say Bugbear is Finnish Proud and Rally runs in Finnish bloodlines So I feel a Rally Trophy 2 with an all out effort by the team would be a signature title Bugbear could be very proud of.

Where do I get my information about demand for rally? the largest most active sim race forum out their WMD Portal and Our members are pushing hard for an SMS Rally title in the future and may pave the way for the rebirth of good Rally and Bugbear could very easily jump on the same wagon. The SMS guys have a lot of respect for the Bugbear team.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:32:26 PM by Birddogg66 »

Mopower

I think you would be surprised over the demand for rally titles ATM Codemasters have moved in a different direction with the Dirt Series and Milestone is just not cutting it with it's WRC titles. The fact Rally Trophy was based on historic Rally is a great conceptual idea and would have much respect from the Hardcore Rally players and then to offer different era's of Rally moving toward the modern I think would work very well. Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned different game modes which I think is a good idea to reach a larger audiance and like I have said the grapics for it's time were awesome in Rally Trophy and the driving model was very good IMO. If I am allowed to pull one leverage Ace out of my sleeve I use it now to say Bugbear is Finnish Proud and Rally runs in Finnish bloodlines So I feel a Rally Trophy 2 with an all out effort by the team would be a signature title Bugbear could be very proud of.

Where do I get my information about demand for rally? the largest most active sim race forum out their WMD Portal and Our members are pushing hard for an SMS Rally title in the future and may pave the way for the rebirth of good Rally and Bugbear could very easily jump on the same wagon. The SMS guys have a lot of respect for the Bugbear team.

Sure... Bugbear could add another rally title to the 1,500 out there. Or they could add another arcade racing game to the 25,000 out there.... Or they could create a demolition derby game/ small dirt track/ autocross/figure 8 racing and be THE ONLY game to come out in that genre in the last 5 years.

Also, rally games are fun... I've got nothing against them, but I feel that bugbear has a knack for wrecking things. And they are pretty good at getting the car sounds right. From American muscle, to hopped up Japanese 4-bangers, they seem to get it..

I'm sure The Bug thugs could make ONE HELL of a rally game... But that would be a waste of talent.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:49:09 AM by Mopower »

RacerBest

Would love to see Rally Trophy 2 too.  ;D

PigSkin

Many of the Rally Trophy users want to see version 2 and it,s understandable that as a company it would be hard to decide to put effort and money into it. Not for a minute do I believe that people who bought the first version of the game would pass on a version 2. Remember Elite?, if your company did a similar thing it might surprise you!.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3004476/kickstarter-gets-serious-space-game-elite-wins-record-2-million-funding

I joined p_cars because it promised rally and did not deliver. They say it will be an addon or something and I can tell you a lot of people are waiting for it. Do a little research into Kickstart and find out if it,s worth it to BugBear

RubyRuby

Here's another vote for a Rally Trophy sequel.  Personally, I would love to see more historic rallying, like 1960-1980.  I originally bought Rally Trophy because it had the Saab 96 V4 in it.  Only game ever with that car, far as I can tell.  Gave it up after a few months because I got frustrated trying to get good enough with the keyboard to be competitive in the rally mode.  Had a lot of fun with the arcade single player game though.  I did enough restarts I actually got that poor car all the way through Switzerland, in arcade.  The stock Saab.  Then I discovered there was a FTC.  That was early '08 when I first got interested in racing games.  And I love the venues.  The Russian tracks look a lot like here.  Finland is cool.  Love the snow races in Sweden.

I'm going to have to try to get it going again.

Frank
LogRoad @ nogripracing and pCARS.

Birddogg66

We could always suggest you to become Windows compatible again. :)