Author Topic: Dev Update (Apr 4)  (Read 18916 times)

rozzex

I'm not going to lie. That's some detailed crowd models. I know your going to mix them in with some sprites but surely this is going to affect the frame rate. Though with that said your engine doesn't seem to struggle easily. Can't wait to see these and the new maps in game!!!
The Indy Developer Behind http://igrowgame.co.uk A 3D Social Cannabis Growing Game

Kamikave

I'm not going to lie. That's some detailed crowd models. I know your going to mix them in with some sprites but surely this is going to affect the frame rate. Though with that said your engine doesn't seem to struggle easily. Can't wait to see these and the new maps in game!!!

Don't sweat it. The crowd won't eat that much ressources. It's just good old sprites and some spare 3D models. The physics of your car requiers more ressources than that.
Operating System: Windows 7 Professionnel 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 Go
Sound Device : Creative SB X-Fi

rozzex

Well it actually depends on how the physics are simulated. It isn't done in the same method as rigs of rods which eats up the resources. It's also (could be wrong) not using bones rigged into the model, which is the method carmageddon uses. It's not physx softbody physics from what i've read either or bullet soft bodys physics. Actually that has got me thinking, what is the underlying physics engine? I think my main concern is the 3D crowd models will use shadows, which will cause some slow downs. Especially if it isn't mapped shadows. Which i doubt it due to the animations. Who know's, though I suppose I need to worry I have to run on the lowest settings as it is  :P
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:54:00 PM by rozzex »
The Indy Developer Behind http://igrowgame.co.uk A 3D Social Cannabis Growing Game

Keras

Well it actually depends on how the physics are simulated. It isn't done in the same method as rigs of rods which eats up the resources. It's also (could be wrong) not using bones rigged into the model, which is the method carmageddon uses. It's not physx softbody physics from what i've read either or bullet soft bodys physics. Actually that has got me thinking, what is the underlying physics engine? I think my main concern is the 3D crowd models will use shadows, which will cause some slow downs. Especially if it isn't mapped shadows. Which i doubt it due to the animations. Who know's, though I suppose I need to worry I have to run on the lowest settings as it is  :P
I believe there is not much known about the engine they are using because they made their own. All I know is it`s called ROMU and uses soft body physics.

Eppeto

Looking good!

rozzex

Thanks Keras, I was talking to Tapio on another forum and he explained that the physics are in house built within the ROMU. Though i'm not sure if he was talking about the damage physics specifically or all the physics. You can't get any better then an engine built specifically for a game. Can't wait to hear more in the next weekly update.

Tapio Vierros

Thanks Keras, I was talking to Tapio on another forum and he explained that the physics are in house built within the ROMU. Though i'm not sure if he was talking about the damage physics specifically or all the physics. You can't get any better then an engine built specifically for a game. Can't wait to hear more in the next weekly update.
Driving simulation physics, car soft body deform and rigid body object physics are all in-house tech.

Kamikave

And it is a brilliant work ! Even in the pre-Alpha stage. In fact, if all pre alpha was as completed as yours, we wouldn't need betas.
Operating System: Windows 7 Professionnel 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 Go
Sound Device : Creative SB X-Fi

szutyi93

Driving simulation physics, car soft body deform and rigid body object physics are all in-house tech.

Just a question do you work on weekends? :)

rozzex

Damn that's insane! Has ROMU ever been used in past games?

Purple44

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,820.msg6741.html#msg6741

What engine are you using to build the game?

We’re using ROMU, our in-house engine that we’ve been building since 2000. It’s very good in racing and destroying stuff. We do use some middleware solutions where it makes sense – audio, presentation, some network functionality.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

St. Jimmy

In every FlatOut games at least.
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR