Author Topic: Car tiers  (Read 5195 times)

UsF

Please be wary of car tiers this time. In the first Flatout game, it was awesome. Cars were divided into tiers, which could compete with each other. In the second and Ultimate Carnage game, they had tiers, but cars of the same tier could nowhere compete with each other. This was horrible. I really liked the first games system, where even later more expensive cars were somewhat of a sidegrade and not a straight upgrade.

Please keep this system that way to allow for more diversity. Also allow for a modding tier if possible, so people can mod cars in more easily. And maybe a special tier for your own crazy creations.

What do people think about new stock street cars and racing cars? I liked the old destruction style derby cars, but the new sport cars and the like were a bit out of place. It should be fine though, I guess variety is king. As long as you can trade paint and scratch your car all the way down so it looks really like a derby car as well, then yea, go for it.

Mopower

Personally, I think that the derby class cars should only be in the demolition derbies, and the race cars should only be in races.

In the derby class, I think that there should be a full size car class, a truck class, and a compact car class. These classes shouldn't compete together, but there should be "tiers" of strength.

For instance, the "stock" class would be a car with no body reinforcements, and the engine upgrades would be restricted to just an upgraded carbeuretor and cam shaft.

Then, we would use the same cars for a semi-mod class. This would allow SOME reinforcing of the body and frame, and the engine upgrades would be whatever you want.

Then for the Full weld class, you would be allowed to upgrade the body as much as you want as well as the engine.

Race class is race class. Do what you will :)

UsF

No, I want every car everywhere. I just don't want to deal with the flashy colorful game of Flatout 2 where every car better than the stock class was bright, glowing and shiny. There should be some really great derby cars that work equally well for racing. Also I want to use the racing cars in derby, why the hell not?

I just wanted to make sure the devs do not mess up the tier system. In Flatout 2, the early street cars were no match for later ones, so the tier system was broken. In Flatout 1, every car in a tier could compete with the other ones and they just had distinct things like more weight or more acceleration etc to suit your driving style.

Mopower

Well, I'm not sure how fast you want to go without a windshield! mmmm bugs in the teeth.

Would you race a BMX bike on a road course? Would you race a road bike on a BMX course?

UsF

People wear helmets for that reason.  ;)
I also saw cracked  and breaking windshields in the video.

Mopower

yes, but would you take a road bike to a dirt BMX course and race it there?

UsF

Would you take a racing car to a stock car race? o:
But to end the analogies...in a videogame, sure I'd love to drive a non-fit vehicle around a track. Remember driving school busses or the Batmobile around in Flatout 2? :D

Mopower

But to end the analogies...in a videogame, sure I'd love to drive a non-fit vehicle around a track. Remember driving school busses or the Batmobile around in Flatout 2? :D

Batmobile :puke: The bus was fun for laughs sometimes, and they do have school bus derbies interestingly enough. By stock car, I assume you mean NASCAR? By racing car... I'm not sure what you mean.

aerocrane

Batmobile :puke: The bus was fun for laughs sometimes, and they do have school bus derbies interestingly enough. By stock car, I assume you mean NASCAR? By racing car... I'm not sure what you mean.

I assume that by racing car he meant track racing cars, like FIA GT series and DTM. From what little footage we have seen, such cars do not seem very suitable.

Purple44

Please keep this system that way to allow for more diversity. Also allow for a modding tier if possible, so people can mod cars in more easily. And maybe a special tier for your own crazy creations.

Would be nice if new game was coded to be able to added some custom cars. Offline I don't see a problem if Bugbear did this. But online it would create some problems.

Number 1 problem, if player use a custom car and other players in the lobby do not have a car in that car slot, game will crash, like Flatout 1 and 2 did. One way of stopping this from happening is to use ghosts cars for the custom car slots. Player with custom car would see his custom car online, while the other players would only see a ghost car or their own custom car using that car slot.

Another problem with custom cars online being done this way, one player goes with a fast 200 mph car and another player pick his favorite 150mph custom car and another player has no custom cars, he stuck picking a slower stock car.  :-\

That one reason we at FOJ went with carpacks for our custom cars, online. Everybody has the same group of custom cars to pick from and if host uses the "same as host" option, with 95 custom cars showing up in car menu ( 141 cars in FO 2 crash the game ), host had a lot of cars to pick from for the next race.  :)

Can pigs fly, maybe, but I do know cement trucks can fly!  ;) One my favorite custom cars and yes the mixer tumbler does turn, thanks to Heddly. :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:07:00 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

UsF

Stock car was meant mostly for road like vehicles, reinforced to take a beating. I think that is what they are called in the UK for derby like events or circuit races.

Mopower

Would be nice if new game was coded to be able to added some custom cars. Offline I don't see a problem if Bugbear did this. But online it would create some problems.

Number 1 problem, if player use a custom car and other players in the lobby do not have a car in that car slot, game will crash, like Flatout 1 and 2 did. One way of stopping this from happening is to use ghosts cars for the custom car slots. Player with custom car would see his custom car online, while the other players would only see a ghost car or their own custom car using that car slot.

Another problem with custom cars online being done this way, one player goes with a fast 200 mph car and another player pick his favorite 150mph custom car and another player has no custom cars, he stuck picking a slower stock car.  :-\

That one reason we at FOJ went with carpacks for our custom cars, online. Everybody has the same group of custom cars to pick from and if host uses the "same as host" option, with 95 custom cars showing up in car menu ( 141 cars in FO 2 crash the game ), host had a lot of cars to pick from for the next race.  :)

Can pigs fly, maybe, but I do know cement trucks can fly!  ;) One my favorite custom cars and yes the mixer tumbler does turn, thanks to Heddly. :)

Hmm, maybe have a few different multiplayer lobby options. Such as, your standard multiplayer, an option for multiplayer with custom cars, and then ranked. The standard and ranked would allow ONLY the game cars to be selected.

Mopower

Stock car was meant mostly for road like vehicles, reinforced to take a beating. I think that is what they are called in the UK for derby like events or circuit races.

No, I probably wouldn't take a NASCAR to an off road racing event... I think you are thinking of banger races?

UsF

Yes, banger races. Stock cars only reinforced to take a beating, so people don't die. I assumed stock cars meant unmodified normal street vehicles.

Mopower

Yes, banger races. Stock cars only reinforced to take a beating, so people don't die. I assumed stock cars meant unmodified normal street vehicles.

If it was a Chrysler Imperial... I would never even think of modifying it to make it stronger... There's absolutely no need.

Skip to 4:35... Chrysler Imperial Vs 70's Cadillac Hearse. Who do you think wins this head-on? (By the way this is only a 20-25 mph hit by the Imperial.