Author Topic: Update #4 2014-04-25  (Read 16037 times)

Mohasz

Great stuff! Most of the issues I got are now gone. Sometimes, when I watch the replay for the 2nd time it still doesn't have sound though.
And I also think that a rewind feature would be necessary, it's a pain in the ass having to restart the whole thing when you missed an awesome turn or crash or you just want to see it from another camera view, but oh well...I understand that it's not an easy thing to do and not of high priority right now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:13:14 AM by Mohasz »

Racerdude

Yes!  Finally the steering is fixed!  Fishtailing is back!  I don't have to wait until I'm halfway through a corner for the wheels to be turned all the way.  From the in-car view you can see that the steering wheel now moves at roughly the same speed whether it's 20% turned or 90% turned.  Previously it would turn pretty slowly throughout, and move slower and slower as you approached 100% turned.

Time to get back to enjoying the racing portion of the game.

ScorpionDriver

It's getting together just great and plays even better!
Can't believe how much progress it has already made, weather, sound, handling and the crash models in particular!

Awesome! = ? ? ? ? ? ?
XBL: Violet Driver

deadmoroz14

Thanks for the update. Are there any plans for adding a rewind/fastforward feature to the replays? Something similar to what's in Dirt 2 would be great for making video montages of races. I've looked but haven't found a way to do this as of yet.

Rewind feature is something we are thinking of but nothing solid as of yet, fast forward is already in the replay.

Is it hard to implement a rewind feature? I see it's a common thing to be left out of many racing games.
It's hard because you have a lot more objects than in a usual racing game, not just cars. And in order to make a rewind you must track them all. But with that amount of objects you will have a massive FPS drop if you will track every object.
Currently game is recording only info about the cars in races. In the replay this info is used to place the cars in the right place, rest of objects like tires and other junk are simulated on-the-fly during replay.
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

Rivvern

Im racing with a G25 wheel.

Im currently happy with the current driving model. Feels good. A good mix between sim and arcade.
What needs to be improved is the FFB. Better feeling for what the car does, surface/grip would be nice.

As said i like the current state. Now polish it.

Motoko

I like the driving in this update. It's easy, but to master it: you need some skills and training. And that's cool !

John Burning

Nice build!
Thank you! :)

museumsteve

Still cant play it until we can move the seat back or change the FOV (either or both) :(

SunnyNewEngland

It's hard because you have a lot more objects than in a usual racing game, not just cars. And in order to make a rewind you must track them all. But with that amount of objects you will have a massive FPS drop if you will track every object.
Currently game is recording only info about the cars in races. In the replay this info is used to place the cars in the right place, rest of objects like tires and other junk are simulated on-the-fly during replay.

Not to step on your toes, deadmoroz, FPS hit would be negligible.
The first iteration of the replay feature will not track dynamic objects, i.e. tires and stuff like that. It's something that we will be considering adding later down the road, but of course it will mean that the feature will consume more resources - the framerate hit should be mostly negligible even with the large number of objects (remember, the physics stuff is calculated in real-time anyway), but memory usage will increase. That said, it shouldn't pose that much of a problem with some clever approximation and interpolation.
bold and underline are mine

KazzyMac

The cars have so much traction now. I'm not fighting a rampant bull round corners any more O_O

I've gone from having to use anti-spin on Full to drive the cars to contemplating turning it off completely. Having it on Half with the American is just so much fun but the European is definitely being held back by the power control.

I'm kinda missing the big rock on the big jump on the sandpit track (kinda seems a common complaint really). The AI are still getting stuck in the tire barriers after the jump. They need to learn how to use the Reset button :p

Otherwise it's been near-enough flawless. Cars handle beautifully. Arcade enough to be drivable but sim enough to require concentration and input and correction. I can hold a nice controlled drift. AI are a bit easy to beat now on Sandpit and VERY easy to beat on tarmac (they take the corners pretty badly again :p) so looking forwards to any future difficulty settings/changes. For me they're still pretty tough on the gravel track and the figure-8 so that's good. :p

Are new cars and paint jobs intended to be added in the next big update, perchance? I still argue that the AI need more diversity in their car liveries. Too many yellow and red cars.
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

TPEHAK

This game gives me so much fun!
LAPTOP GIGABYTE P35X V3 || INTEL CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ ||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M  8GB GDDR5|| 16GB RAM || 103GB SSD || 1TB HDD || WINDOWS 10 HOME

Shortcut

Hmm what can i say ... After this update the game crashed the first time on my pc the error was:

ncg.exe no longer works

I was surprised about that hm.. I startet the game a second time and then it worked(detailed information is, that i choosed the car with settings, after that i wanted to click on the "START RACE" button and then black screen and the error.

To the handling i think the car is a bit too much fishtailing / oversteer. Without assists in this(4#) update the handling is better but with anti-spin on half the car understeers too much so u cant drift or take the bend fast
In general i felt that the car have less traction and why that its so, the general racing speed is token down and why that its so, the fun is a bit lower

Taxidriver

I'm kinda missing the big rock on the big jump on the sandpit track (kinda seems a common complaint really). The AI are still getting stuck in the tire barriers after the jump. They need to learn how to use the Reset button :p

Here is a poll where you can vote for the big rock.  ;)
http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,4928.0.html
Sorry for bad english!

creamofpayne

I just wanted to thank you guys for the hard work you have all put into this update. This is the first time I have truly enjoyed driving with my PS4 controller since Update #2.

If you only did small refinements and made no major changes to steering/handling from here on out I would be a happy man!

Conte Zero

ok, I had some more time to test this release
what I really don't like is the actual handbrake behaviour. I find it rigid, now. Somehow gummy, the response is not as cool and nice to control as it used to be untile the last update.
I have to leave the gas, touch the handbrake and then control the drift in order to obtain some results, and most of the times the results are not what I expected.
I hope this will change, meanwhile I'm interested in other users' opinion about the handbrake.
Thanks and all the best to Bugbear, of course. Great work so far.
Saippuakivikauppias