Author Topic: Dynamic damage model (soft body physics, intern selfcollision)  (Read 4416 times)

MALZman

I'm a huge fan of (physically correct) real time destruction  :D

So I've found some inspiration on youtube , the guys from BeamNG did an amazing job with realtime softbody physics.
Have a look at:

The first time I've saw this, I thought of flatout and the fun of playing the game. :)

My english is like this^Jump, not perfect!

RacerBest

There will be dynamic damage model in Next Car Game.  ;)

DavidF

So I've found some inspiration on youtube , the guys from BeamNG did an amazing job with realtime softbody physics.
Have a look at:

The first time I've saw this, I thought of flatout and the fun of playing the game. :)
As the post above of me has stated, it has been confirmed by a moderator (possibly developer) that 'NCG' will feature a Dynamic damage model, but I do not think it'll be in the form of Soft Body physics. From looking at some of the images and videos it appears that the Damage Model may be more of a limited system where the car can only deform to a certain degree in that part of the car before it stops working. I may be wrong though.

AltS7

I think that theoretically that 'soft body physics' is one of the things we can truly label 'revolutionary. But on that videos it doesn't look realistic at all. I don't want to see this 'soft body physics' in NCG (at least with such 'plastic' look).

Mopower

Yes, that video is a bit over-board. I would like to see something other than a solid metal frame underneath the car though. Once your fenders/grill are gone it looks like the cars stop taking damage even though they don't. I don't like this feature.

Satsuma182

I think what the guys at BeamNG have been doing with the CryENGINE is amazing,

Anything that bugbear do to implement that kind of damage in the NCG has to be a step in the right direction.

lastday4u

Have a look at:

That's really cool :D
As far as I'm concerned, damage like FOUC is fine :)

Clarkey Cat 72

I think that theoretically that 'soft body physics' is one of the things we can truly label 'revolutionary. But on that videos it doesn't look realistic at all. I don't want to see this 'soft body physics' in NCG (at least with such 'plastic' look).

It is realistic, 100% realistic - metal folds, bends and bounces much like plastic - its just that your not used to seeing it like that

Mopower

It is realistic, 100% realistic - metal folds, bends and bounces much like plastic - its just that your not used to seeing it like that
Oh and I suppose you're going to tell us that fenders falling off is realistic  :P

Satsuma182

When cars that have been prepared to take punishment in contact motorsports get hit they very rarely fall apart, sure enough dust and small pieces of debris fall off but full panels of body work rarely come loose as they are built to withstand punishment whilst staying as close to the cars whole form as possible.

Take a look at this vid:

Its a pretty big crash at about 30-50 mph, note when the car hits the fence it crumples up as intended it doesn't fall apart.

If a good soft body physics engine is implemented then I hope the damage will allow for such reactions in the bodywork for crashes that deserve such damage.

Mopower

When cars that have been prepared to take punishment in contact motorsports get hit they very rarely fall apart, sure enough dust and small pieces of debris fall off but full panels of body work rarely come loose as they are built to withstand punishment whilst staying as close to the cars whole form as possible.

Take a look at this vid:

Its a pretty big crash at about 30-50 mph, note when the car hits the fence it crumples up as intended it doesn't fall apart.

If a good soft body physics engine is implemented then I hope the damage will allow for such reactions in the bodywork for crashes that deserve such damage.
Yes, this is what I'd like to see. I want to see the front and rear ends go up or down, not just fall off :p

Also, notice the speed he said they were going. haha, don't need to go 140mph to deal damage to a car
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:31:20 AM by Mopower »
Mopower, May 08, 2013, 08:15:28 AM Logged

•