Author Topic: Track Length  (Read 2284 times)

Slickvic

Most of the tracks in the original Flatout were brilliant.   However, there were times when I wished that some of the track lengths were approximately 50% longer. 

I believe that a longer track works within the framework of a Flatout style game because surviving the race is half of the fun.

You want to inflict damage to the other drivers in order to impair or disable them and also you want to keep your own car in good condition in order to finish the race.

Often times the last lap of any given race was the best because you had the last of the stragglers competing to just make it across the finish line.   :P

Discuss...
FULL-TIME WRECKER

lastday4u

A lot of the tracks are quiet short in FO:UC, but it all depends on your car. I play with the RoadKing and my lap times are obviously going to be a good 10s faster than slower cars. But when the host chooses that everyone has the same car e.g. Chilli Pepper, the races all of a sudden liven up, because the laps are much longer (slower cars). So really I don't think anything needs changing, but that's my opinion :)

dave3d

Hmmmmm
Not sure longer tracks would be a good idea.
A few reasons:
1. Retrying the race. If you are 1/2 to 3/4 the way into the race, and make a HUGE mistake, w/o any hope of finishing top 3, then you have to do the WHOLE track over (and maybe over some more). That can become tedious.
2. Catchup. Playing catch up is SO much fun in a smaller race. You make a little mistake, but not race breaking, and the excitement is there to catch up to first place again, knowing you only have a minute or 2 to do it. This makes for some 'wild' driving, that you normally wouldnt do whikle in first (being a bit more cautious to actually stay in first place).
3. Attention span. Most gamers nowadays (I am talking about the casual crowd) seem to have no attention span. Can you imagine them playing a twice as long as normal map, 3x around? Even for me, that might get boring. Boring like an indie 500 race that just goes on and on and on.
4. Memory. Sure, every map you need to do a couple/few times to get the map down. Certain curves require certain brakes to slide well, etc. Can you imagine having to memoprize 2x as much for EVERY map to get good at it? I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night.
5. Bigger/longer maps probably means less variety of maps. I, personally, would rather have MORE maps, of various sorts, than fewer longer maps.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

bgb

I think Flatout 2 got perfects tracks lenght;) Keep it like this and it will be ok.

KingOfTheCakes

I thought F01's tracks were waaay better than 2's imo. Those Snow & Quarry circuits were sweet!
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

I thought F01's tracks were waaay better than 2's imo. Those Snow & Quarry circuits were sweet!
We're talking about the length of the tracks not the the type (snowy,muddy etc.) and I have to go along dave3d ..more is better :D
One should not be afraid of the dark...How can one be afraid of what he cannot see?

St. Jimmy

In FO1 there are some pretty long tracks but nothing too extreme. Also longer tracks wouldn't hurt single player that much because then it would be only 1 or 2 laps long.

IMO 2 mins per lap is about the max what fits this game well.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

WildStyle

Yeah why not to have option to modify the track length. +1

crashkid3000

In FO1 there are some pretty long tracks but nothing too extreme. Also longer tracks wouldn't hurt single player that much because then it would be only 1 or 2 laps long.

IMO 2 mins per lap is about the max what fits this game well.

imo, 2 minutes are too long. Averagely, 1 minute should be OK. Some shorter tracks (around 30 sec.s) and some longer tracks (1 minute & 30 sec.s) are ok, but not too much.
... enjoys wrecking other cars

CPU: Intel i5 4460 (4 cores @ 3.2 GHz)
GPU: Gígabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2 * 8GB DDR3-1600