Author Topic: Imprecise body repairs please!  (Read 2387 times)

acid_andy

I saw someone else mentioned the idea of a rough "panel beater" repair mode. I just wanted to emphasize that I would absolutely love this also. Please do this!

One of the things I really enjoyed in Rally Trophy was that you could leave the bodywork damaged between stages but still repair the mechanicals. It really gave a sense that this was the same car battling on and of course maximizes the entertainment from the damage engine but allowing a partial repair of the cosmetic damage would massively enhance this even further.

It would add to the realism and immersion as after real derbies the cars are bodged back into a usable shape with sledgehammers and angle grinders.

In the simplest form it could be a sliding scale of bodywork repair that just warps the panels back towards the car's original shape by a slightly randomized amount. Even better how about also leaving more of the higher frequency dents (crinkles) in the panels and approximately restoring the lower frequency damage so the car would look crudely straightened out but you'd still have a sense that that door has been hit dozens and dozens of times!

You could also choose which regions of the car bodywork you wanted to spend time repairing.

Please do something like this as it would really make the damage engine even more unique and make the game stand head and shoulders above other demolition derby games!

TLDR: Please can body damage stay after the race and then have an option to leave visible signs of it after a repair?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:17:41 PM by acid_andy »

kruleworld

hmm, interesting idea. sounds complicated to implement, but i guess if it's possible, the devs will look at it.
He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok.
Windows 8.1, Asus Z87-GD65, intel-i7-4770k, GTX770, 16GB

acid_andy

It doesn't need to be too complicated. In Rally Trophy the game came with two models of each car - the original undamaged model and one with maximum damage and each crash moved points on the body a bit closer to the ones on the damage model.
For these NCG imprecise repairs the game could just be moving points on the body in the other direction so they get closer to their original position on the undamaged model. It just needs a bit of random variation so that it never quite looks like the original car again (unless the player clicks the expensive Full Body Repair button).

Kamikave

It doesn't need to be too complicated. In Rally Trophy the game came with two models of each car - the original undamaged model and one with maximum damage and each crash moved points on the body a bit closer to the ones on the damage model.
For these NCG imprecise repairs the game could just be moving points on the body in the other direction so they get closer to their original position on the undamaged model. It just needs a bit of random variation so that it never quite looks like the original car again (unless the player clicks the expensive Full Body Repair button).

The problem here is that damages in NCG are dynamic. I don't know Rally Trophy, but from what I read in your post, that look like pre rendered damage. So I don't think RT model can be apply to NCG.
Operating System: Windows 7 Professionnel 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 Go
Sound Device : Creative SB X-Fi

sam223

The problem here is that damages in NCG are dynamic. I don't know Rally Trophy, but from what I read in your post, that look like pre rendered damage. So I don't think RT model can be apply to NCG.
Some parts are still pre staged i believe.Its definitely not full soft body physics anyway
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

FollowWings

I already mentioned Xpand Rally's  crashfix system race by race (need to fix the car parts % accuracy to the next race, but if you press a restart you can try again the race)!
Can change car parts etc.. I think its a way where NCG could start on to the road of perfection!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:16:34 AM by FollowWings »
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2533 MHz ||Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3  ||4 x 1 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM KINGMAX || ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1 GB) (RV770)  || Realtek ALC885/889A/890 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - HD Audio ||WDC  (250 GB, 7200 RPM) II Windows 10 Pro x64

acid_andy

Devs, only you can truly answer how easy it would be.  :)

I suspect NCG will have some physics information about the body deformation that might need updating when reversing a dent. It would be such a cool feature to have though, to see dents gradually popping back out - possibly even when you move a cursor over them.

On Rally Trophy I think it was only the maximum possible body damage that was pre-calculated (not really pre-rendered). If you kept bashing the front of the car it would dent in more and more until it matched the artist's damage model.

sam223

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUV66X1widE

If only this had been finished
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Ben Lind

Devs, only you can truly answer how easy it would be.  :)

I suspect NCG will have some physics information about the body deformation that might need updating when reversing a dent. It would be such a cool feature to have though, to see dents gradually popping back out - possibly even when you move a cursor over them.

On Rally Trophy I think it was only the maximum possible body damage that was pre-calculated (not really pre-rendered). If you kept bashing the front of the car it would dent in more and more until it matched the artist's damage model.

We don't use any damage models and the damage is simulated on impact. I'm not sure how easy it would be to "reverse" the hits but I guess not entirely impossible. I suppose one of the programmers could give you a better answer.
Overly talkative 3D-artist

acid_andy

We don't use any damage models and the damage is simulated on impact. I'm not sure how easy it would be to "reverse" the hits but I guess not entirely impossible. I suppose one of the programmers could give you a better answer.

Cool! Thanks. That's one of the things that sets Next Car Game apart. Yes it would be great to hear from one of the programmers. I know the body damage has been mentioned with reference to the repairs. Even if this body repair simulation is something I could code as a mod, I'd love to have a way to do this. I think it has to show up in a car game sooner or later but it would be awesome if it was Next Car Game. For sure, the technology is there now and Bugbear are the best team to introduce a feature like this.

FollowWings

Carmageddon series has reverse damage repair too!  8)
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2533 MHz ||Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3  ||4 x 1 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM KINGMAX || ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1 GB) (RV770)  || Realtek ALC885/889A/890 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - HD Audio ||WDC  (250 GB, 7200 RPM) II Windows 10 Pro x64

Pawlzz

Wow, this is awesome! It would be kinda useless, but some "glued" or "sewed" on parts that are broken re-applied in the next race also would look nice!

acid_andy

*Bump* Is there any chance at all of a feature like this happening? Any kind of lasting visual damage from race to race? If there isn't, I'll stop asking, but this would seriously make the game for me.

sam223

*Bump* Is there any chance at all of a feature like this happening? Any kind of lasting visual damage from race to race? If there isn't, I'll stop asking, but this would seriously make the game for me.
Unlikely i would say,but you could achieve something much simpler yourself. Add some more skin slots to the cars,take the _damaged versions of each the skins,duplicate them and rename them to match your new skin slots. The new skin slots will now be pre raced versions of the original skins