Author Topic: * * * LAKESIDE TRACK * * * ATTENTION! long loading time with many images!  (Read 3950 times)

crazychris4124

Some nice work and it would be fun if we could ram cars into the lake

Daystar

Thanks CrazyChris  :D And it would be hilarious to see our rival racers end up in the drink! haha
But according to some comments, I need to step up my skills and add other unique features, like ramps, bridges etc... that's ok, I can do that!
but it will take more planning and debugging of course. I think my next track project will be a stunt one  :) Should be lots of fun to make!

crazychris4124

Thanks CrazyChris  :D And it would be hilarious to see our rival racers end up in the drink! haha
But according to some comments, I need to step up my skills and add other unique features, like ramps, bridges etc... that's ok, I can do that!
but it will take more planning and debugging of course. I think my next track project will be a stunt one  :) Should be lots of fun to make!

I was just gonna say that. You could keep an oval track but maybe base it off of a real life race track

spadraig

I like the idea of a lakeside track! Maybe have small streams flowing in front of the tracks so when you drive into it, the car slightly slows down and gets slippery. (In other words adding water physics, including being able to crash into the lake and slowly sink then respawn or something  like that)
Best durby game you could find! Could be considered a Sim! :)

Ben Lind

I've been using Blender all the time. Currently we have to go via 3ds Max though to be able to export it into engine. Maybe someone could write an exporter for Blender as well but I doubt it would be all that simple.

Why need to use 3ds Max? Blender supports same formats as it. Or  does you have some plugin for 3ds Max and you confiqure car's wheels and and other things in 3ds Max. Sorry if this is stupid question, I only know how to import models for Unity 3d and its supports almost every format.

We have our own format and the exporter is written for 3ds Max. Not much else really and I bet an exporter could be made for Blender as well but I doubt anyone here is too eager to do that.
Overly talkative 3D-artist

Speedevil

You can export models as .3ds files with Blender, so I don't think it would be an issue.

Ben Lind

You can export models as .3ds files with Blender, so I don't think it would be an issue.

That's not the point. We have our own format that gets exported from Max that takes into account our blendshader, übershader, animation etc. It's not as simple as exporting a 3ds file exactly.
No one has made the same exporter for Blender that takes all those things into consideration so it's not that simple unfortunately.

Daystar

That's not the point. We have our own format that gets exported from Max that takes into account our blendshader, übershader, animation etc. It's not as simple as exporting a 3ds file exactly.
No one has made the same exporter for Blender that takes all those things into consideration so it's not that simple unfortunately.

That is really unfortunate to hear. this could put a damper on the modding community. maybe it can be worked out somehow to create tracks at least  ???

Ben Lind

That is really unfortunate to hear. this could put a damper on the modding community. maybe it can be worked out somehow to create tracks at least  ???

Yeah well it definitely should be addressed at a later point to allow as many people as possible to mod the game without buying 5k software or turn to pirating.
There has been some interest on the Blender forums to help out with an exporter so Bugbear might get help from the community on that matter.

Daystar

* * * Bumped * * *

Yeah I know this message is pretty old, but my desire to add-tracks is really strong lately!
tired of racing all the time on the Sandpit1 (under construction) track every day...

So my question is... with everything Ben has stated, would it be theoretically possible to
use 3ds Max, instead of Blender? and what are the actual track format files named? .file extension name?
I know it cannot be all that simple, for you also need to implement check point areas, ai paths etc... which
I am eagerly willing to learn all about. I believe the dev's would also love to try out user created tracks! but
well designed tracks, not your very sloppily fast put together type of tracks variety!!!

Yeah well it definitely should be addressed at a later point to allow as many people as possible to mod the game without buying 5k software or turn to pirating.
There has been some interest on the Blender forums to help out with an exporter so Bugbear might get help from the community on that matter.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:03:04 AM by Daystar »

kruleworld

So my question is... with everything Ben has stated, would it be theoretically possible to
use 3ds Max, instead of Blender?
so, you didn't read the thread, did you? since it's been mentioned they work in 3ds and export it to their own format from there, and there IS NO blender plugin available.
He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok.
Windows 8.1, Asus Z87-GD65, intel-i7-4770k, GTX770, 16GB