Author Topic: Anatomy of a skin  (Read 7775 times)

AndrewT

As there aren't many FOUC custom textures available, as well as the texturing tutorials are also missing, I will try to summarize here what I was able to figure out about it, hoping that you guys might be able to start working with it and revealing infos that I couldn't, or maybe some help from the authors themselves would also be more than welcome!

So here is a documentation which is not complete yet, but I have the aim to update it reguraliry.

1. Tools needed
- Flatout Ultimate Carnage
- Bfs Un/Packer (BFS3pack_smart_gui.exe): http://flatoutjoint.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&action=dlattach;topic=1455.0;attach=6652 (you may need to be logged in in order to download the file)
- Image editing software capable of handling .dds files
- (optional: Windows Texture Viewer for quicky viewing .dds files just like any other image files: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_texture_viewer.html)

2. Unpack the textures
- start BFS3pack_smart_gui.exe and simply drag and drop X:\...\Flatout Ultimate Carnage\data.bfs into it
- set a loaction for unpacking the whole content of the archive, which is preferably different than the install folder (although it is possible to run the game unpacked, which would support modding, it would slow down the game according to common knowledge and depending on systems)

3. Find the car to edit
- the unpacked structure will contain them at this location: X:\...\data\cars\car_00
- here is the list which folder contains which cars textures:

car_1   = CTR
car_2   = Chili
car_3   = Boxer
car_4   = Lancea
car_5   = Mad Rash
car_6   = Malice
car_7   = Fortune
car_8   = Banger
car_9   = SparrowHawk
car_10   = Insetta
car_11   = Sunray
car_12   = Vexter XS
car_13   = Shaker
car_14   = Splitter
car_15   = Terrator
car_16   = Bullet
car_17   = SwitchBlade
car_18   = Venom
car_19   = Nevada
car_20   = Blaster XL
car_21   = Crusader
car_22   = Canyon
car_23   = Roamer
car_24   = Lentus
car_25   = Road King
car_26   = Ventura
car_27   = CTR Sport
car_28   = Chili Pepper
car_29   = Bullet GT
car_30   = Scorpion
car_31   = Insetta Sport
car_32   = Speedshifter
car_33   = Daytana
car_34   = Speedevil
car_35   = Trailblazer
car_36   = Afterburner
car_37   = Rocket
car_38   = Starflight
car_39   = Nucleon
car_40   = Pimpster
car_41   = Flatmobile
car_42   = Mob Car
car_43   = Schoolbus
car_44   = Rocket
car_45   = Truck
car_46   = Grinder
car_47   = Bonecracker

4. Find the texture to edit
- each folder contains the textures for the selectable 5 color schemes and a non-selectable skin driven by AI-opponents in single player, these are:

skin0.dds
skin0_damaged.dds
skin0_damaged_normal.dds
skin0_normal.dds
skin0_specular.dds

- the folders also contain files belong to the carmodel itself, and all 5 skins share them (i.e. modifying them will affect the appearance of all every skin of that particular car, which might not be wanted), these are (plus their normal and damaged versions):

grille.dds
interior.dds
lights.dds
rim.dds
tire.dds
windows.dds

- the folders do contain a couple of .ini files as well, these are different properties and definitions of the car, easily editable with notepad, however, this will not be discussed in this tutorial

5. Edit the textures

5.1 skin0.dds
- background layer: the livery itself, this is what you paint, without shadows or lights, only plain colors and motives are expected
- alpha channel: strength of reflection (black: dull, white: glossy)

things to notice (see attachment):
- the Chili looks quite rusty, and its surface doesn't reflect too much of the environment, caused by a rather dark alpha channel, meanwhile the Chili Pepper has a polished surface, reflecting the environment pretty much, caused by a relatively light alpha channel (can be observed around above the front left wheel)
- except for the average gray representing a painted surface of an old car, we can see areas that make much reflection (weather worn edges, newly installed metallic parts), and areas that don't (inner frame of the windows which are much likely made of rubber)
- notice how the raw blueish liveries of the cars look distortedley yellowish in-game! if a car in this "showroom" does not really represent the color scheme you desire, watch it in action, on track, it will be closer. however, there is a tendency, that you have to make your skin darker than you initially wanted to depending on the results.
- the surface of the Chili is quite diverse, meanwhile the Chili Peppers' is absolutley homogenious, due to technology its painting is achieved and thanks to the fact that is not weather-worn. however, this will give us hard times finding the edges of specific car parts on the skin.

5.2 skin0_specular.dds
- red channel: scratches (green on rgb, black on channel)
- green channel: surfaces (red on rgb, black on channel)
- blue channel: dents (yellow on rgb, gray on channel, dent is everything that is not black or white)
- alpha channel: strength of the light received (white = normal, black = overlit)

5.3 skin0_normal.dds
- red channel: empty?
- green channel: bumpmap (gray: normal surface, black/white: bump surface shadowed/lit
- blue channel: empty?
- alpha channel: inverse of green channel?

- shaders: there are at least two kind of shaders that could be applied to a cars skin-slot. if you replace a texture in a specific skinslot, the shader would be applied to your new skin.

6. Pack the textures
- first save the modified textures, preferably with the settings of the original .dds file (i.e.: DXT3 ARGB 8bpp explicit alpha, 2d Texture, Generate MIP maps)
- for packing the textures, the unpacked files must reflect the same structure as they were packed in data.bfs. it is advised to separate a new data folder anywhere on the hard drive, and have only the edited textures in it, this will save time during the pack procedure (i.e. data\cars\car_00\*.dds)
- start BFS3pack_smart_gui.exe and simply drag and drop this new data folder into it, and save it

7. Making the textures appear in-game
- rename your freshly created data.bfs to for example mod.bfs and paste it into the install folder of the game (there is already a data.bfs in it which we obviously don't want to overwrite), so it will be in the same folder as data.bfs
- start notepad and open filesystem (X:\...\Flatout Ultimate Carnage\filesystem), and type the name of your just pasted .bfs archive to a new row, after the last row, to make the file look like this, and save it without and extension (instead of the default save option of notepad, which would create a filesystem.txt, we need a filesystem)

data.bfs
streamed.bfs
mod.bfs

(if there are additional lines listed under the 2 default .bfs files, the game will attempt to read data from them first. if there is a different skin for a specific car in mod.bfs, that skin will appear in-game. those files that are not included in mod.bfs will be read from data.bfs.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:00:04 PM by AndrewT »

MysterionRUS

hi, can at least make a tutorial how to do it?
Then maybe people would be moved up to ...

RacerBest

Nice skins. :D What if you use them online? Other people see you in normal car or is it possible to go online with them?

AndrewT

i can use and see them online, but everyone else that does not have them, will see the default skins in his/her own game

Speedevil

I'm bumping a really old thread, but as you can't register to FOJ anymore, is there another way to unpack the game's files?
[Edit] Found another download link.
http://flatoutjoint.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=38&func=fileinfo&id=984
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:23:04 PM by Speedevil »

Ceelker

I'm having the issue, that the extracted files aren't visible when I'm actually in the folder, but when I try to unpack again it shows that the files are there in their separate folders. I just can't go to them. I unpacked them to /Flatout Ultimate Carnage/packer/extracted
And supposedly it created a folder "data" within are the new folders.

And when I'm trying to edit the location string to /Flatout Ultimate Carnage/packer/extracted/data, I get a Windows error that no such location even exists, as it clearly does.

Messing with Windows secret folders still didn't do anything.

AndrewT

@Ceelker: make sure you use this unpacker: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/JRH3ZWDJ/FUC-BFSpack_V2.1.zip_links

bfs2 is for Flatout 2, bfs3 is for Ultimate Carnage, BFS3pack_smart_gui.exe is the application you might want to use. other tools (including bfs2) might not be able to extract files properly form an FOUC archive, and that might have been your problem.

Mazay

...Only if the download were adware free.
Edit: the download is only adware.
Installed on virtualbox and all it does is start calculator.

https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/392pk1zca2

Name:ADWARE/Amonetize.Gen4 (Cloud)
Date discovered:Oct 9, 2015
Description: This class of detection flags software that display ads, usually in the internet browser by modifying displayed pages or opening aditional pages with ads.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:57:15 PM by Mazay »

Heddly

Here is a link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/qgh6gdw65fhzwq8/BFSpack_V2.1.zip

It is not adware.

Extract the .rar open the folder and start BFS3pack_smart_gui.exe.
Right click the icon and select FlatOut Ultimate Carnage.
Drag and drop your file to the icon, to compress a data file to a .bfs file or to uncompress a .bfs file to a data file for editing.

Hope this helps.