Author Topic: Free-to-Play RIDGE RACER™ DRIFTOPIA  (Read 18341 times)

Jukka Merikanto

As some of you have already discovered we have been working on another Ridge Racer title. Here's the press release from Namco Bandai:

NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe to bring new title based on one of its most successful franchises to market for free with In-game transactions

NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe today announced a new downloadable free-to-play title based on the smash RIDGE RACER™ franchise, RIDGE RACER™ Driftopia. The game is slated for release later in 2013 for PlayStation®3 and PC.

“At NAMCO BANDAI Games we are committed to embracing new business models alongside the still vital traditional retail sector,” said Olivier Comte, Senior Vice President, NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe. “Free-to-play is playing an increasingly important role, so it’s very exciting to be bringing one of our most successful franchises to the free-to-play space for everyone to enjoy.”

RIDGE RACER™ Driftopia  will put the series’ irresistible signature drifting right at the heart of the experience, with more details to be announced soon.

Check out the trailer:
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

RacerBest

Yes sounds good, waiting for more details.  :)

John Burning

Ohhhh yeeeeeeah!!! Thank you, Bugbear!
Waiting to enjoy!
That's gonna be awesome!

AdApt

So you basically abandoned RRU and didn't bother to fix it. Then re-release it "free" with a bunch of lame pay2win content?

This game is destined to fail

Mopower

So you basically abandoned RRU and didn't bother to fix it. Then re-release it "free" with a bunch of lame pay2win content?

This game is destined to fail
So harsh on the bug thugs  :-\
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

AdApt

It's disappointing they didn't bother to make a real Ridge Racer
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:53:04 AM by AdApt »

AltS7

AdApt,
So you're complaining that it's not real RR. And that the game (which you don't like much because it's not real RR) has some bugs? o0
Well, as for second, there was 13 or 12 patches & now only major bug I see it's a camera angle during boost. Sometimes it's goes down so you can't see the road.

AdApt

^ I do like RRU and I've been playing since it was released. Even though it's NOT Ridge Racer, it's still one of my favourite racing games

I'm complaining because they have basically released a PAY2WIN version of the same game instead of making something new. No decent gamer wants to pay for crap like this in a "free" game

As for unfixed bugs - which they said they would fix, until they just gave up and abandoned the game altogether:

- Frequent disconnects
- Frequent crashes
- Players unable to join games when invited, even if the lobby is open
- A Power glitch which can trigger at the start of a race
- Steam overlay bugs
- Graphical bugs
- Track editor bugs

Answer this question: would you rather a re-release of RRU with locked content you have to pay for, or a Ridge Racer which has the same gameplay mechanics as RRU, with additional features and set in a different city, sold as a whole game..?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:48:31 PM by AdApt »

AltS7

Well, maybe I don't have first 3 bugs simply because I play in SP  :) Also can't say anything about 'Steam overlay". Other things I didn't met or they didn't bother me, dunno.
Answering your question I'd say neither. Same game with new features and/or environment should be called DLC/Addon/Expansion pack etc.
As for 'Driftopia" I just want to know, is there some new features/cars (& will BB add this new stuff to RRU). And also, is there possibility to connect RRU & RRF online players.
Sorry for my English.

Joonas Laakso

It's not really up to us what Namco wants to do with their franchise. Obviously we're happy to work on a follow-up project when asked to. They're great people to work with!

We were able to do stuff that we believe is both innovative and fun, and wouldn't have worked in a traditional retail release. Try it once it's out - it won't cost you anything!

X

Will there be any 'paid content/DLC' or pay2win content? I honestly don't like DLC much anyways.

RacerBest

It's free game so obviously there will be paid content.

CleanestStone34

I have played NFS World a little and was wondering how it compares with Driftopia.

RacerBest

I have played NFS World everyday since betas (almost 3 years!)
RR Driftopia is not MMO so I don't compare these games.

Purple44

I had some fun with NFS World. Was an OK game. Like doing cop chases and taking the cops through the golf course.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel