Author Topic: Free-to-Play RIDGE RACER™ DRIFTOPIA  (Read 24026 times)

John Burning

Well... It's not lagging now at all, so I REALLY ENJOY IT! Seriously, that is so cool!
But... How about online racing? Or you'll make it later?

Joonas Laakso

We're not planning on simultaneous online racing for RRD. The idea is for the leaderboards to become very competitive between the Spirits. We're interested in seeing if that's enough for players who don't like waiting in lobbies but still want to compete against other players.

That said, it hasn't been tested with more than our internal guys before this closed beta, so who knows what will happen yet.

Speedevil

I'm starting to like this game. The car handling is good, since it's the same as Unbounded's, and it's fun to play.
However, I would like more cars and tracks. Will there be new ones for the release?

RacerBest

I am waiting for PS3 version because my PC can't handle this game.  :'(

John Burning

We're not planning on simultaneous online racing for RRD. The idea is for the leaderboards to become very competitive between the Spirits. We're interested in seeing if that's enough for players who don't like waiting in lobbies but still want to compete against other players.

That said, it hasn't been tested with more than our internal guys before this closed beta, so who knows what will happen yet.
Okay! Thanks! Waiting for online! :)

aerocrane

We're not planning on simultaneous online racing for RRD. The idea is for the leaderboards to become very competitive between the Spirits.

So a bit like Trackmania, just competing against the clock, not other drivers? Will the track editor be present in Driftopia? Custom tracks were what made Trackmania so great. You never knew what sort of track you would be racing on when joining a server.

Joonas Laakso

More tracks and cars and cards after launch, yes.

The competition is between Spirits - recorded replays of other players driving the same track. So it's like racing ghosts... except the ghosts are physical. We find it resembles driving in a multiplayer race surprisingly well. The idea is from a Japanese arcade game.

Your Spirit also gathers points for you when it's racing other drivers and beating them, so you should strive to have a competitive Spirit on all the tracks.

seffyroff

I'd love to play, I'm a huge fan of RR and Unbounded (And Flatout) - I've got the same crash bug others have reported.  After choosing the first race in Career (Initiation) the next screen appears to be a flickering jumble of the main menu for a couple of seconds, then the game crashes.  Is there a workaround for this, or a fix on the way?

Acierocolotl

I had been able to do a couple races, and it's been smooth so far, so I can't complain there.

My real complaint, upon reflection, is the whole toolkit system.  It puts an artificial--and extremly short--constraint on how much I might be able to play.

I had a bad bit of luck, crashed five times in a row, and that's all my repair kits for the day, and that was only about three minutes of driving.  Buying another 50 repair kits--or five restarts for a basic, level 1 car, would set me back roughly $1.50.  At the rate I was using them, it's akin to $30 an hour (assuming I was as idiotic as I was then).

In essence, what I'm getting at is I should like to determine how much I can play in a single setting.  I acknowledge the need for income, but I'd rather it be a trifle more discrete.

Speedevil

You can lose your car if you crash it too much, but if you've lost all your cars, you are given a free Grover so you can still play.

Joonas Laakso

I'd love to play, I'm a huge fan of RR and Unbounded (And Flatout) - I've got the same crash bug others have reported.  After choosing the first race in Career (Initiation) the next screen appears to be a flickering jumble of the main menu for a couple of seconds, then the game crashes.  Is there a workaround for this, or a fix on the way?

Thank you for the bug report. Please use the dedicated "Beta Bugs" board for further bug reports. Thank you!

Any screenshots of the flicker jumble of the main menu possible to get?

Also hardware specs, dxdiag scan results would be good. Also things like car chosen, which button was pressed at what time, is an Xbox controller used or PC keyboard, basically as much data as possible helps. What launcher settings were used, language, anisotropic filtering level, video resolution?

deadmoroz14

I played about 4 hours this game and now I'm in a very bad situation: I've wrecked all my cars (which I won in time challenges), spent all repairs and I can't compete with rivals in career, because I have 20-30th times on all tracks using a good car I already wrecked. I can't even wreck someone to get a chance of grabbing a normal car because opponents just flying away right from the start. The only way I see is to upgrade my shitty car, but that's nearly impossible, because I have to participate in nearly 50 races without repairs. Only 1 crash and I'll have to start it all again. So, after some wrecks the game is just to hard/expensive to play.
Of course, I can't win any of the time challenges (I dunno how they're called in english, I am playing in russian version)
Any thoughts on this?
SANDBAGGER

i5-3570k
16GB RAM
AMD HD7950

RacerBest

Sounds bad.. In beta you can get card packs for free so you can get free cars and repair kits.

But obviously in full release you can't so this is bad thing because you get stuck and can't progress.  :-\

Mika Zeng

Sounds bad.. In beta you can get card packs for free so you can get free cars and repair kits.

But obviously in full release you can't so this is bad thing because you get stuck and can't progress.  :-\

Also in full release, you can get card packs for free.

RacerBest

Also in full release, you can get card packs for free.
What card packs and how? I meant in beta the card packs that cost real money are free.  :)