Author Topic: Damage model/suugestion/idea.  (Read 2435 times)

lastday4u

I just uploaded a short 10s video, I was playing GRID yesterday and literally got hammered and my car looked like a trash can lol. So I thought it'd be cool to have damage like this in NCG:

(watch it in 480p or above).

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:00:22 PM by lastday4u »
Looking for a PC, help?
FlatoutUC Speedbowl Online

KingOfTheCakes

I quite liked how things damaged in FOUC, but wasn't much of a fan of the explosions :P. The only improvement I'd like to see is maybe some punctures?
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

Purple44

I just uploaded a short 10s video, I was playing GRID yesterday and literally got hammered and my car looked like a trash can lol. So I thought it'd be cool to have damage like this in NCG:

(watch it in 480p or above).

Enjoy :)

Here what a Jupiter like look after we pound on it in a derby race:

Full size Jupiter:

Sub-compact Jupiter:

Will the NCG have in-race chat like GRID 1 had? Let us chat and spectate after we been wreck in a derby.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

LilG13.2

perhaps we should look back at the ps2/orig. xbox. Test Drive:Eve of Destruction damage model...fenders hard enough hit rolling into back seats, smoke, dents. Things as such.
-TheRedneckWay

dave3d

Why not go back to Carmageddon 2?
Great damage modeling, fenders falling off, hoods coming off/undone, front ends crumpling, trunk lids popping off, glass shattering, cars getting split in half, etc etc etc
Funny how old games had MUCH more interactivity than almost all current games do.
Where the engines just SO much better, or what?

Purple44

Why not go back to Carmageddon 2?
Great damage modeling, fenders falling off, hoods coming off/undone, front ends crumpling, trunk lids popping off, glass shattering, cars getting split in half, etc etc etc
Funny how old games had MUCH more interactivity than almost all current games do.
Where the engines just SO much better, or what?

Dave, did you know there a new Carmageddon being work on by the original Devs, Stainless? They bought back the rights to the Carmageddon name.

http://www.carmageddon.com/forums/carmageddon-reincarnation/general-discussion
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Joonas Laakso

The reason for games of old having some stuff that's missing these days, like persistent dead bodies and cars splitting in half (Split Second had that, though), is simply the rising visual quality bar. Assets (cars, bodies) are so expensive in terms of processing power, physics and memory, that it's getting harder to convincingly handle them in the simulation. You need to pull off a lot of smoke and mirrors to fake things for impressive results.

Essentially, because the cars these days look so nice, it's harder to damage them in an equally impressive fashion.

lastday4u

The reason for games of old having some stuff that's missing these days, like persistent dead bodies and cars splitting in half (Split Second had that, though), is simply the rising visual quality bar. Assets (cars, bodies) are so expensive in terms of processing power, physics and memory, that it's getting harder to convincingly handle them in the simulation. You need to pull off a lot of smoke and mirrors to fake things for impressive results.

Essentially, because the cars these days look so nice, it's harder to damage them in an equally impressive fashion.

That was one sexy explanation  ;D