Author Topic: Why FlatOut1 is better than FlatOut2 and BB should do NCG closer to first game  (Read 7189 times)

lastbreath

When I was young there was one really amazing racing game: Destruction Derby RAW. Me and my friends could play it for hours (oh, that golden age of PS One  :D). 16 cars, tracks with crossings and skyscraper battles... Really unforgettable!

FlatOut 1 brought me back in that times. Rusty musclecars, dirt tracks, stunning damage model, awesome physics, top graphics... I still consider FlatOut one of the best racing games ever made.

But FlatOut 2 really disappointed me. It was cool game but... It lost that atmosphere of heavy rusty cars. FlatOut 2 looked like a mix of NFS and Burnout: shiny cars and superspeeding. It was far away from so realistic first part. Even physics became worse: broken parts of surroundings were too big, and fence, for example, had no more influence on the car.
Also FlatOut 1 was better balanced. Crashes could damage springs, so car became less controllable and slower. And you had to drive safely. It was realistic. In FlatOut 2 even teared wheel didn't change handling, so you could crash everything you wanted. It made accidents less valuable.

That's why I want NextCarGame to be more similar to FlatOut 1. Less arcade, more physics, please. And I want to give BB one more advice: please, pay attention to Destruction Derby RAW tracks. With many crossings and jumps they were ideal for such type of racing:

Thank you. I hope my topic will be noticed  ::)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:38:39 PM by lastbreath »

Mopower

When I was young there was one really amazing racing game: Destruction Derby RAW. Me and my friends could play it for hours (oh, that golden age of PS One  :D). 16 cars, tracks with crossings and skyscraper battles... Really unforgettable!

Oh, how I miss this game! My dad, my brother, and I used to spend hours on this playing the multiplayer derbies haha. The racing was fun too! So many AI cars to take out. Thanks for bringing this up. This was a great game :)
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

Usmovers_02

My motto with crossings is the more the merrier. Particularly airborne crossings.

John Burning

Relax, man, NCG will be similar as FO1  ;)

lastbreath

How do you know? ))

dbs213

I love Crash-Alley (and the second Figure 8 track when played on Flatout Ultimate Carnage), it showcases the best of the game's crash physics.
I seriously wished Flatout's tracks had more crossings.
The FOJ mod has a crapload of maps like this but the AIs usually drive slowly, making less spectacular crashes. I know it's a mod optimized for multiplayer, but I'm the type of guy who prefers to play alone.

This is my plead to Bugbear to include more crossovers in their tracks.

Regards to physics, I think it's fair enough to have a mix between Flatout 1's driving physics and FlatOut 2's object dynamics, since I don't understand why a car would flip after tripping over a cone. Most racing games I play involve cones flying all around while the car sticks to the ground.

My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

John Burning

How do you know? ))
Look at the reaser and look at the pools. As you can see, FO1's physics model guaranteed.

KingOfTheCakes

I did play Raw back in the day as well, but the lack of visual damage on that game always annoyed me. Everything else was pretty good though. :]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:30:44 AM by KingOfTheCakes »
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MacsrPooGaming
30,000 subs and going strong!... Somehow.

Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

lastbreath

I'm very dissappointed with GRID2 so I'm warried about NCG future )))

X

Don't be worried. Bugbear is going to do great, just like they have time and time again.

Purple44

Don't be worried. Bugbear is going to do great, just like they have time and time again.

But have to say Bugbear stumble with the PC version of Ridge Racer Unbounded.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:57:48 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Usmovers_02

I'll be honest, I bought RR JUST because it was made by Bugbear and looked like it might have some FO elements to it. I'll take the new game for what it is even if it's not FO.

dbs213

I'll be honest, I bought RR JUST because it was made by Bugbear and looked like it might have some FO elements to it. I'll take the new game for what it is even if it's not FO.

That was actually the reason why I bought it...
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

Speedevil

RRU's PC version is the worst I've ever seen. Thanks, Namco.

KingOfTheCakes

I wasn't too keen on RRU tbh (never been a huge fan of RR), but BB probably had to stay true to what a RR game should feel like which is understandable.

NCG is just their game so this series should be schweet. ...otherwise the only alternatives for me is to wait for a decent Flatout game by Team 6 or a massively improved Derp Showdown part deux. :'{
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MacsrPooGaming
30,000 subs and going strong!... Somehow.

Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS