Author Topic: Why FlatOut1 is better than FlatOut2 and BB should do NCG closer to first game  (Read 8414 times)

FeltHat

id say that definition of casual game fits flatout 1 quite well

Tyrael

I sort of disagree here, FlatOut 2 i thought was a worthy successor to FlatOut in the sense that i liked the addition of the other type of cars, it brought a (dare i say it) Toca feel to the game, it gave a choice as you could always go back to the derby cars :)

So ideally id like FlatOut 2 but with the feel of FlatOut (physics, car damage, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:36:08 PM by Tyrael »

Hells High

The original Flatout was definitely my favorite of the lot. Tromping on the pedal and having the car actually lose traction because your tires are spinning really makes the game feel down and dirty. Flatout 2 just felt a little more artificial to me, almost like any other racer put on the easiest difficulty with all the driving assists on.

I'm not saying Flatout is "realistic", but it just felt believable. I've already pre-ordered, I have faith that the team won't disappoint us with the same thing they could have made with a publisher breathing down their necks.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a copy of Flatout in my disc tray that needs some attention.

Cheers,

HH

Victor Cortez

id say that definition of casual game fits flatout 1 quite well

Then we had two different definitions of casual. For me, and I really mean "for me" (the way I intend it) casual is the opposite of niche.

Just because a game is arcade it doesn't mean that it's casual, and just because a game is sim it doesn't mean that it's niche (even though, they two things go along frequently).

FO1 was a fairly difficult compare to, for example, the average Burnout.

FeltHat

"Casual games can have any type of gameplay, and fit in any genre. They are typically distinguished by their simple rules and lack of commitment required" just like flatout :>
also i played both, fo and burnout- how is fo harder?

Flores

Ah, good to see lots of people appreciate the original Flatout in the same way as I do.

It was so nice you had to master the cars handling in order to get it as fast as possible around the track. This is also known as "racing". I know, it's crazy. You had to brake and stuff. Lots of people who did not like the game had a hard time mastering this "racing" phenomenon (check out some negative user reviews on Metacritic for example).

This relatively high difficulty level can be off-putting for some potential buyers which means extra risk for publishers. I'm guessing part of the reason why Bugbear chose the current form of  developing/selling the game is their choice to make the car handling less like we've seen in recent NFS games for example. I say "relatively high difficulty", because there are still some games which take the challenge to master a car a lot further (e.g. iRacing).

But still, Flatout 1 found that sweet balance between getting an intense rewarding feeling when succesfully blazing your car around the track on one side and actual arcade-like fun and spectacular action on the other.

Indy

FlatOut 1 has less forgiving driving model, it feels more rewarding when riding without mistakes and winning.
FlatOut 2 has more arcade model, rewarding destroying surroundings and your opponents.

I love both of them and would prefer NCG to be something between them.

FeltHat

id like something similiar to grid 1 driving model, great feeling, quite simple but yet with taste of authenticity

ScorpionDriver

Destruction Derby RAW was a fantastic game and way ahead of its time with its gameplay style and sound effects!

I loved FlatOut 1, it had that raw feeling to it, authentic, amazing physics and atmosphere.
You can still feel the core spirit even in FlatOut UC, on for example, the dirt tracks and forests with the derby class cars. It sure had a more arcade feel to it, but I wouldn't go so far and call it a NFS and Burnout mix. Not at all.

However, I think NCG will be perfect. :)

dave3d

FlatOut 1 has less forgiving driving model, it feels more rewarding when riding without mistakes and winning.
FlatOut 2 has more arcade model, rewarding destroying surroundings and your opponents.

I love both of them and would prefer NCG to be something between them.

Ah, what a wonderful summation of my feelings.

I think the game NEEDS to be more like FO2 though, to make it more accessible to more people. Not that thats a bad thing, as I had great fun on all 3 games. But, if they 'dumb down' the game beyond FO2, I dont think any players on this forum, or any who pre-ordered, are going to be very happy at all. But, I dont think that will happen, what with everything Bugbear has said they want to do with the game.
I just hope it doesnt come down to them NEEDING a publisher, because although I bought Ridge Racer Unbounded, it wasnt very fun.

St. Jimmy

FO1 normal steering isn't really any challenge for keyboard so that is already enough dumbed down that everyone can easily enjoy.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

akzar

Yeah, FO1 is definately better, especially in handling. You can feel the road under your wheels, not slippery ice like in FO2 :)
It’s not a joke. It sounds like a joke, but it is not a joke.

lastbreath

Holy sh*t! 2 years have passed!

WorldofBay

It was so nice you had to master the cars handling in order to get it as fast as possible around the track. This is also known as "racing". I know, it's crazy. You had to brake and stuff.

hahahahaha really? you NEVER EVER had to brake in that game, NEVER. and no you did not have to on "professional" handling.
you NEVER had to RELEASE on tarmac tracks.
the handling is the easiest i have ever seen, even most RC racers have harder handling!

in FO2 you actually had to brake. and that's a good thing.

just think of the name "flatout". flatout1 is a flatout game, not a brake game.

But still, Flatout 1 found that sweet balance between getting an intense rewarding feeling when succesfully blazing your car around the track on one side and actual arcade-like fun and spectacular action on the other.

hmmm i did not feel this. it was a fun game where you could push around enemies and make them crash (like burnout 3). it was challenging in the part that these enemies won't wait for you (like they do in burnout 3). but those guys were really slow (unlike burnout 3), so you could on some tracks crash your car several time without problem. well just look at the "taking bronze into gold" challenge.

if flatout1 had the burnout 3 (or flatout2) rubberbanding, it would basically be the definition of casual. but it's a good casual game.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:54:49 AM by WorldofBay »
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

lastbreath

Looking through old topics... So much hope was there... Now I don't want this game even completed...