Author Topic: Why FlatOut1 is better than FlatOut2 and BB should do NCG closer to first game  (Read 7725 times)

sam223

Itll never be a clean racing game tor, because of the hitter/receiver multiplier. While ever you take less damage per momentum than giving there will always be incentive to hit people as hard as you possibly can
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

The Very End

That is what I hope, and believe they (developers) has in mind :) Just a bit conserned those WIP shots we saw some months back about engine breaking down means they will change these multipliers into such a way wrecking is disencouraged in future builds.

Either way, options sliders, we need them and we need many of them ;)

St. Jimmy

Just hopefully they can at least think about people wanting bit more realism to just add options for modders so something like tire coming off, parts of the car getting damaged like engine and so on actually have some effect in performace/driving in mid race. Very understandable not adding that stuff in the base game
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

blazngun

That is what I hope, and believe they (developers) has in mind :) Just a bit conserned those WIP shots we saw some months back about engine breaking down means they will change these multipliers into such a way wrecking is disencouraged in future builds.

Either way, options sliders, we need them and we need many of them ;)

I think this would encourage more strategic wrecking. Instead of plowing into a group of cars at full speed going into a slow turn and wrecking your front end, you wait til you are on the corner of someone to spin them out or put them to the wall. And if you are in front and being caught, a strategic  brake check causing the car behind to damage front end (and engine) is more than worth the damage by taking a big one up the rear.
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

sam223

Just hopefully they can at least think about people wanting bit more realism to just add options for modders so something like tire coming off, parts of the car getting damaged like engine and so on actually have some effect in performace/driving in mid race. Very understandable not adding that stuff in the base game
Already does jimmy. You can have damaged steering and make cars bottom out so they cant move after so much damage.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:29:53 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Purple44

Currently, it does not seem you can lose a wheel. I like it in Flatout 2, when you got down about 10% health, you could have a wheel fall off. Would like see this with Wreckfest in the races and the derbys.

We did at times have tires fall off in past Builds, but last time tires were falling off in a Build, tires were falling off way too soon.

Also agree we need some options to control how aggressive and how good the AI will be, easy AI for beginners, tough to beat AI for very good players. And an option to control how severe the car damage will be, more realistic option where you can't abuse your car to much and to the other extreme your car like a tank and hard to wreck. In Flatout 2 there was 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 damage setting. 2.0 being car would wreck easily, 1.0 was the default damage setting.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

blazngun

I think a simple "arcade mode" with current damage and AI that are somewhat tame, and a "realistic mode" with hardcore damage and aggressive AI would be a viable solution. I like Ends idea of sliders for everything, but whats the likelihood they could code all that in for a 2017 launch? If for nothing else, different "modes" is almost a requirement if the console version is going to be succesful, to appeal to a broader crowd. I had said previously to comments about wanting the game to be more arcade, it would be easy to take super realistic physics and damage and make them feel arcade, it doesnt work going the other direction. Solid base has to be there first.

sam223

Currently, it does not seem you can lose a wheel. I like it in Flatout 2, when you got down about 10% health, you could have a wheel fall off. Would like see this with Wreckfest in the races and the derbys.

We did at times have tires fall off in past Builds, but last time tires were falling off in a Build, tires were falling off way too soon.

Also agree we need some options to control how aggressive and how good the AI will be, easy AI for beginners, tough to beat AI for very good players. And an option to control how severe the car damage will be, more realistic option where you can't abuse your car to much and to the other extreme your car like a tank and hard to wreck. In Flatout 2 there was 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 damage setting. 2.0 being car would wreck easily, 1.0 was the default damage setting.

You can do both those things (adjust how wheels fall off and damage scaling). They work in unison but a simple multiplier would be difficult to implement i think. Youd need multiple predefined setups for each. Damage is a momentum in vs damage output scale. 3 separate ones for car vs car,car vs static object,car vs dynamic object.

Then almost everything else ; sector damage,wheels damage (how far they bend/move,when they fall off), when doors open/fall off are all based on distance. Distance from original position. So you can set them to 'happen' after 10cm or upto 2m's. But they depend on what you have as your damage scales set at. If it barely bends after X amount of momentum,youll never reach the distance for something to happen. If its too soft,itll happen almost immediately.
These are all per car variables and you also have a impact max movement scale per car to fine tune aswell, since momentum takes into account mass.

Then theres global settings like restitution, which from my understand either multiplies or divides the impact force. So you can make 10pmh hits result in cars flying off the map,or the opposite being 100mph hits and no one rolls over. This also effects visual damage which in turn effects parts falling off etc etc.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:29:49 AM by sam223 »

blazngun

Sam all those variables were my first taste of modding Wreckfest. Having played dozens of hours with a friend doing derbies on the small tracks with the no mods we wanted something more realistic and  found Vin's Real2Life damage mod in the workshop... Awesome... We loved it for a week or so but it was just way to realistic to be fun for us. So I started researching and reading through forums posts, and with a little backwards engineering of Vin's mod, I knew what i needed to change to get the results I was after. With Vin's mod 1-2 full speed hits to a wheel can send it flying. I was after 3-4 per wheel and absolutely had to change the horrid deformation the poor cars were suffering from before they would die. Doing all this I found tire damage settings worked being the same across the board for all cars fairly well. Only real difference was the euro cars would lose a rear with less damage than the americans, but with the same settings front and rear, it was much harder to lose a rear wheel. Hopefully they release the Beta Branch soon and I can get on with finishing my WIP Pro Modified Derby Car mod. I still hold hope that once Wreckfest is released the wider Modding Community will join the foray. The more ideas the merrier!