Author Topic: What about terrain deformation?  (Read 8178 times)

Cursy

I don't know the exact words. I mean the deformation of soft underground like mud after driving over it. Especially if we have circuit tracks it would be fun.

The game Sega Rally Revo had this feature.
I feel the need for destruction :D

John Burning

Well... That's really cool idea but I think Bugbear will make it in next games for next platforms.

Usmovers_02

If they're making this for PC first then that means they're not held back by console limitations. Either way, things like terrain deformation are more about production cost and less about horsepower. It's already been done well quite a few times this console generation.

I personally would LOVE to see terrain deformation (yes, that's the most commonly used term :))! It adds a layer of destruction to the game. It would be nice to have the terrain be affected by more than just car tires too.

I'd also kill for water physics though I know that's probably asking a lot. But just imagine knocking down a water tower and having it flood the track for a moment!

KingOfTheCakes

I think Dirt 3 and GTA 4 have this too, but I don't think this is something that should be high priority.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

Usmovers_02

Dirt and GTA have water physics but not terrain deformation.

X

I was fine with no deformation in previous games. If they put it in, I would probably be fine up to a certain amount of deformation.

Usmovers_02

I'd like to see 3D tracks particularly in muddy areas. Changes the optimal racing line slightly between each lap.

AutoAssassin11

The trucks should do better in mud and I think the ground surface should change slightly over the course of a race with grooves from vehicles

Mopower

yeah if that were possible, ruts would be kind of cool to have. I also think that if it's raining the track should have less traction as the rain goes on

• Usmovers_02

Personally I think reduced traction over time is a little too sim but it wouldn't really bother me.

LUNITIC_WILL

Personally I think reduced traction over time is a little too sim but it wouldn't really bother me.
    if I can still drift i'll be ok.
    "one shall stand, one shall fall" Optimus Prime 1984-present

SpeedDevil

I think Dirt 3 and GTA 4 have this too, but I don't think this is something that should be high priority.
    That latest Sega Rally on consoles had this as a main feature as did Motorstorm since the first installement. It was best executed in Motorstorm to my personal taste.
    It would be awesome if they could add this but it might be too demanding to run. :/

kisscoool18

I personally would LOVE to see terrain deformation (yes, that's the most commonly used term :))! It adds a layer of destruction to the game. It would be nice to have the terrain be affected by more than just car tires too.

I'd also kill for water physics though I know that's probably asking a lot. But just imagine knocking down a water tower and having it flood the track for a moment!

Terrain deformation and water physics are goods ideas ! I love it ! But they have to stay in an arcade style game.

Jonezi

Something similiar to Spintires, maybe? ;D
    Needs to be toned down a lot, though...

Serenya

This worked well in Sega Rally, but only for few laps until the terrain was flat again. This due to the logic that the ground lowered under the tires, didn't move to the side... So the terrain kinda "disappeared", didn't move. This won't bug me in three-lap circuits, but in wrecking derbies it should be done better because there's much cars in a small place driving over the same spots over and over again.
    System: i7-4790K | Asus Z97-Deluxe (USB 3.1) | G. Skill Ares 16 GB 2133 DDR3 | Asus Strix GTX 970 | 840 EVO (500 GB) | Win 7 64-bit
    Input: Logitech G402 | Corsair Vengeance K70
    Output: Dell U2515H | Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II | SteelSeries Siberia Elite, Koss PortaPro 2.0 & Superlux HD681 EVO