Author Topic: NCG + 1 HUGE MAP + 100 PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME = IDEA FOR A NEW MOD  (Read 7000 times)

WorldofBay

It's not happening right now because the game doesn't store the damage states outside of RAM while you're in the middle of an event, nor does it send damage states to other players if the client computers de-synchronise, and there are no pre-defined damage states because the game runs a softbody physics engine that dynamically damages vehicles based on their impact.

I think there's a bit of miscommunication right now. ???

we already know it won't happen, if not before then after purple's post saying the 24 player count is hardcoded in many places.

also it was a suggestion for new game mode and new game modes don't happen very often without the necessity of new code and new solutions. anyways this topic was finished already before you came back, gone to a dead end, saved for future games.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 660ti
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Keyboard racer inside!

Quote from: Roy
i laugh everytime i see somebody pulling on WorldofBay to overtake clean.
biggest mistake ever.

Quote from: sam223
Poor planning is a big problem for a lot of EA titles
like fifa, simcity, battlefield, ...

Majatek

While, true, this topic's pretty well wrapped up I wanted to point out a few things being a game developer myself.

And yeah, the damage engine would have to be completely different to support 100 players as the current softbody engine won't work with coding techniques needed for larger player count optimisation. I do wonder, though, what'd make such an experience unique and needed - gamemodes and so on. Sure, a higher number of players could be impressive, but there's a limit as to how many players you can have in a game before it becomes overpopulated and messy.
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

WorldofBay

I do wonder, though, what'd make such an experience unique and needed - gamemodes and so on. Sure, a higher number of players could be impressive, but there's a limit as to how many players you can have in a game before it becomes overpopulated and messy.

i thought about that too and came to the conclusion that a race with this player count would not be that much fun.
but with that huge map mentioned in the topic we would rather drive some search modes. either search other cars and kill them (team-based) or find special positions on the track like flags that you have to collect to win. you either get them by getting to the place where they spawn or hunting other cars that have them already. would of course include a lot of ramps. ;D

with the necessity to despawn far away cars we can only play search modes where it's the core of the game mode that you never see all cars. but i think there are some possibilities to have fun.

isn't really worth a big engine change like this would need so as said only for future games.
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.

Marocco2

Extremely slow. But how would that work with being able to allow players to send data of their damage states over a network? A single model can weigh in at a couple of megabytes. Multiply that by a 100 and you suddenly have an unwieldy file that you simply cannot transfer over networks in a realistic realtime environment.
Maybe using the prediction model of the client-side until the next tick of the server can be useful.
For example:
you have a crash with a car.
your client will calculate the impact and car models after crash.
After the "damage model tick", if the models are enough good (around 1-5% of tollerance) the server doesn't need to send the right model, otherwise it'll send.

If a car go inside a area, the system will be the same as join a server. (yes, there will be a little lag here if you don't have a good HDD)

jombo23

Are you really being serious. You have no knowledge of the inner workings of the engine, and probably none of general computing either, yet youre insisting that this sort of stuff must be possible?

Ill get back to you when i can play crisis on my 1200mhz celeron because its ""been a while""

This would totally be possible if the game itself was designed to do so. It could be done like APB reloaded was, where all the stats, (damage, paint, music, etc) was stored on the server, then when that info was required, it was sent...... slowly....

even on a 25mb/s fiber line, that game was horrendous. Shit was always desynced, cars were black and untextured, and the damage rarely transfered properly. And thats coming from a game that was built from the ground up to support "massive" multiplayer.

Going back to the inner workings of the engine, how do you know NCG could support a huge map? What if for optimization theyre just using a 16 or 32 bit integer with implied decimal points (which can drastically reduce the range depending on how far the decimal goes) for player location or vertex data? you dont.

How do you even know that the engine could handle holding such a large map in memory efficiently? As far as i can tell, the map is one solid piece of geometry, and not split up into a grid where chunks get unloaded when the player isnt nearby. This would call for a major rewrite of the engine.

Youre just like the people that used to swarm The Powder Toy forums saying that it should be ported to their nintendo DS or their iphone because "it was powerful enough", when they really have no idea what goes in to making the game work.

Havent you ever wondered why there arent more games with a hundred people online at once? Why do you think almost every game out there is limited to either 16 or 32 players in a multiplayer session, in which even then people can still lag out.

Frisker

I know that theoretically it's possible to have 100, even 150 players online at the same time. But in engine like Wreckfest? Not until 2045 :P
San Andreas Multiplayer has 100 and 150 player servers, I even used to be regular on one, but then again that's 10 year old game, probably 1000 times less calculating required in the physics, damage and so on, so it's possible in that engine, but in modern one I don't think there's hardware to run it. And also anyone who has played SA:MP knows it's laggy as hell, it desyncs often and even the collisions don't work properly. You always had to "lag hit" people, when you wanted to do PIT manouver, you kinda had to drive in front of them, and cut right from their front bumber, and then in their screen you'd hit their side and they spin out.
But then again it was partly due the way SAMP itself was coded, it was like that in every server. Atleast when I played it a few years ago.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

WorldofBay

don't be stupid. taking a multiplayer game to massive-multiplayer always needs modifications ad trade-offs. otherwise the game would not use all available power in its normal mode.

current wreckfest multiplayer would need a 18 TB/s upload host to work. what does that say about this topic? well ... uhm ... nothing. read the thread before you start to offend others.
Keyboard racer inside!

biggest mistake ever.