Author Topic: AI Skins "fixed?"  (Read 8243 times)

citizenerased

Looking for a purple car?
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/40855620007033234/5151E6CCAA69A8F33F8F6E1FFE605745CBEC2BE5/
Skin11 is actually just rust and dirt, no decals or anything, it's more or less a blank/dirty texture. I have however edited the paint files to create a purple paint file, and then edited the cars skin file to load the purple paint file as the default in slot 1.

Any chance of sending that purple texture file my way?  :D

What program you using to edit texture files? Does it need a plug-in for the .bmap file like the .dds plug-in Photoshop used to load Flatout 1 and 2 texture files?
I'm editing the paint files which are vhcp files with a hex editor. Not worked out the bmap files though.

The paint files are stored in /data/property/cars/paint/.

The cars use these as a base colour, it's not a simple RGB colour. There are quite a few values to generate a metallic car paint and layers of colours and fresnel falloff and specular intensity and flakes etc. I've not worked it all out yet.

Heres a link to the file for the purple colour https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcgty1m6lcocv25/purplecarpaint.vhcp?dl=0
To change the colour you'll need to edit these 3 bytes:

The value is stored as BGR, not RGB.

To actually use it, just move one of the original paint files and rename the purple, of whatever colour you edited it to, in it's place.
This purple looks quite nice though!
Specs: i7-4970k @ 4.6Ghz |  STRIX OC 1080Ti  |  32GB RAM  | Win10x64

Speedevil

So I edited the wrong bytes, and now I've got an iridescent (sort of) paint.  :P

That green looks pretty nice by the way.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:31:12 PM by Speedevil »

citizenerased

Very nice, which bytes are you changing? There are quite a few different values in there for different layers of colour and flakes, like real car paint.

Speedevil

These ones:

The first ones code for the main color and the other ones make for an "iridescent" paint.

Purple44

The cars use these as a base colour, it's not a simple RGB colour. There are quite a few values to generate a metallic car paint and layers of colours and fresnel falloff and specular intensity and flakes etc. I've not worked it all out yet.

Heres a link to the file for the purple colour https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcgty1m6lcocv25/purplecarpaint.vhcp?dl=0
To change the colour you'll need to edit these 3 bytes:

The value is stored as BGR, not RGB.

To actually use it, just move one of the original paint files and rename the purple, of whatever colour you edited it to, in it's place.
This purple looks quite nice though!

Thanks citizen for the purple file. I swap earlyacc_blue and got these purple cars, I'm in the sedan:

I think purple a little to dark\dull, going try and found a brighter purple that more noticeable. The earlyacc_blue not use by Euro car, so did not get a purple Euro. Will try and find the blue file Euro car style #3 uses.

Did run into a issue with loading paint files with HxD. What I was seeing on screen did not match the lines in your pic. Then I notice my HxD default to 16 - ANSI - hex and you where using 18 - ANSI - hex. Change 16 to 18 and now my HxD screen matches yours, so now I know which 3 pairs of hex numbers to edit.

Is there a reason to use 18 instead of 16 that HxD defaulted to? I'm a rookie with hex editor. Only use once for Flatout 2 to make a custom in-game name that was longer than the 8 letter\numbers game allowed.

Edit: Game remember purple paint file when I change it back to original earlyacc_blue file and left game running. Had to restart WF to get the correct earlyacc_blue file to show. Look like the paint files only get loaded once. Clicking the different paint styles won't reload the paint file.

If there no earlyacc_blue file to load, sedan got a red paint.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:15:48 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

citizenerased

The settings in HxD are just the display, 18 is how many bytes per line it's showing, I think by default it just resizes to what ever the window size is, which is what i had it at the time.

The blue euro car has the blue in the texture file not the paint, there are some that have colour in the texture, like the default Muscle 2 skin, if you change earlyacc_yellow Muscle2 will always have a yellow tint to it.

i'll play around with it more tommorow, as well as list what cars use what paint files and the bytes to edit to change colours!

Purple44

I found a purple I'm happy with. Thanks again citizen!  :)

I was unable to find a paint to change the blue #73 style 3 Euro car, so had to settle for the Euro style 5 skin. I use the earlyacc_blue.vhcp file for purple Euro and tweaked earlyacc_red.vhcp file to get purple muscle 2 car. Between these 2 files I got at least one skin for each of the 5 cars to show some purple.

I used Photoshop to get the R,G,B numbers. I did notice some purples I tried had 3 digit numbers - 153, 18, 223. So how do you put a 7-9 digit RGB number into a hex editor? happens Photoshop also give you a 6 digit hex number or could use this to convert: http://www.rgbtohex.net/

Also note the purples I pick in Photoshop, showed up brighter in Wreckfest. The 1d0529 was a very dark purple in Photoshop. So it just trial and error to find the right shade of color in-game.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Needles Kane

Can someone from Bugbear explain what each byte does?

Daystar

To clarify this big mystery to new comers of editing hex code : http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hex-editor-technology-explained/
Hell I was doing this back in the mid 2000's with Games such as Nr2003, Nascar Heat, need for speed earlier games... was really cool to edit a few bits of race tracks in Nascar racing 2003 and go and watch the cars hit glitched portions of tracks.   excuse me....now I get back to my 420 grind hehe

Speedevil

Pearlescent paint is born.  :P

citizenerased

Can someone from Bugbear explain what each byte does?

Well I'm not from Bugbear but I'll give it my best.
Each paint can have these possible properties, but a lot of the paint files don't use some of these, they have a value in the database that will ignore it from the paint file (666?), I honestly have no idea about this.
Color0Base
Color1
Color2Mid
Color3
Color4Flake
ColorEffect
FresnelMax
FresnelMin
FresnelPower
Layer1MicroFlakePertubation
Layer1NormalPertubation
Layer2MicroFlakePertubation
PaintBlend
PaintBrightness
ReflectivityMax
ReflectivityMin
SpecularIntensity
SpecularSharpnessMax
SpecularSharpnessMin

Color0Base starts after the last 3F value you can see, it's 4 bytes. BGR and another value I'll just call alpha, it could be intensity but it's always FF.

So pure red will be 00 00 FF FF and pure blue would be FF 00 00 FF and green would be 00 FF 00 FF

So the last 24 bytes of a file like earlyacc_blue you'll see 6 groups of 4 bytes which are those first 'Color' values I just listed.

I'm trying to work out the other values but it tends to crash the game, so I'm assuming there are limits to the values, or if they are ignored.

And after all that look at the yellow_gold file, it only has 2 colour values which are both the same and they are Color0Base and ColorEffect but theres no space in between for other values.

dbs213

Tried this out myself.

For the skin swap trick which allows us to race with AI skins, can anyone provide a reference to the file names with their respective skins?
I really wanna race with this skin that Purple44 was able to swap with.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:56:36 PM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

sam223

Heres all the default skins in game.Sorry if any are duped,possibly the odd one that didnt reload properly when forced to use a 'ai akin'

Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Aerotactics

@Sam, may I use these pictures in my trainer? I was going to get all these pics as well, you've done the work for me :) Credit will be given for contributing.

sam223

@Sam, may I use these pictures in my trainer? I was going to get all these pics as well, you've done the work for me :) Credit will be given for contributing.
ye no prob.Heres .psd of them all cropped.https://www.sendspace.com/file/w8v3e3
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2