Author Topic: Modding  (Read 34083 times)

Jaycee

In game name / SteamID : Happyshopper

Needles Kane

Any plans to release your skins?

Jaycee

As long as the fine chaps at Bugbear don't mind.

I won't do it til they're 100% though. I need to identify all the files that would need updating and package them all together rather than just tweaking here and there like I'm doing right now.

sam223

The main problem at the minute is that with using umod you would need multiple named versions of the same file in order for it to work on all resolutions.Or users would need to retrieve their own texture hash key in order to get the skins to work with their game options.Wrong skin hash + wrong game settings = default skin.

It works pretty well if you set it up yourself and its good to play/tinker with.But not a very elegant solution for sharing custom content with other users.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:42:18 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Jaycee

And that's why I need to learn more about all this before throwing files at people ;)

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/quirkeyspace/media/2015-01-13_00035_zpseb02ff0b.jpg.html

Anyway, finished the damaged version of this one, but I've still got a yellow area remaining under the rear bumper than I need to locate  ???

Frisker

Can anyone do step by step guide for Umod for me? I'm really struggling with it. I got it recognize Wreckfest is running, but from there I have no idea on how to proceed. It doesn't seem to let me open any files, says that they are not supported. Help would really be appreciated :)
(Yeah this is my first time skinning anything, so I'm bit of a noob in it)

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

suckiden

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/quirkeyspace/media/JC_AmericanMuscle_FlyingTiger_zpsa12e425c.jpg.html

Quick wip, a rusty Flying Tiger style AM2 :)

oh wow, I really would love to drive this one. I think you really understand designing cars that fit perfectly into the style of BB.
Maybe you should get deeper into this (guest designer)  ;)

sam223

Can anyone do step by step guide for Umod for me? I'm really struggling with it. I got it recognize Wreckfest is running, but from there I have no idea on how to proceed. It doesn't seem to let me open any files, says that they are not supported. Help would really be appreciated :)
umod doesnt actually let you open the files.It simply intercepts the application while running and lets you export textures and then inject and overwrite with new ones.

Once youve got it to recognise the game you will need to use the 'save textures' feature. And save them as either .png (no background colours) or .jpg (textures will include base colour). Then open those files>edit>save>re-inject and overwrite game defaults.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:07:20 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Jaycee

Here's a brief run through on what works for me, but I've only been at it a couple days so this may not be the most efficient:

Using the uMod General Info I followed Method 3, using the uMod .dll file, after other methods of getting the two to play nicely failed.

Once uMod is installed and the .dll is in the correct place (SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Bugbear Entertainment/d3d9.dll) run uMod. Under Main and Help you will see a uMod tab. Run Wreckfest (windowed mode at low res so you can work with a few programs at once) and you should see a Wreckfest tab appear.

If you can't see much in the way of controls click Capture textures >> to expand. There should be three tickboxes top left starting with Save Single Texture - tick them all. Then click on the Back button further down and set a key to scroll backwards through the textures in game, repeat for Save and Next. I use Num4 and Num6 to scroll and Enter to save. Finally select the PNG tick box from the file formats menu and set your Save Directory (mine is in My Docs to keep separate from official files). Use PNG format since it should be editable in a standard Photoshop/GIMP/etc image editor but will also preserve the alpha transparency. Then go to File / Save Template As and save these presets.

Now you're ready to start grabbing files from the game.

The cars have two main texture files for their exterior bodywork (excluding bump maps and so on), one for a "Clean" race start car and one for a "Damaged" car which is swapped out in dented areas when you hit things. You can grab the Clean file from the garage when selecting your car, but I think you need to go on track to grab the damaged version.

Assuming you want to grab a Clean version, hit the key you chose for Back or Next and scroll through the available textures. You will see them highlighted in a solid yellow (or maybe green, I'm colourblind!) as you scroll through. Don't worry if the whole screen flashes yellow, you can actually select the lighting and other visual filters, but nothing is broken. Keep going until parts of your car start highlighting, I find usually the tires or parts of the interior pop up first, but eventually you will see the whole car body turn solid yellow. Hit your Save button once this is highlighted and then go to the file you selected to save into. You should find a  2048x2048 texture file :)

There is a file maybe one layer away from the car paintwork texture that will highlight an opaque yellow, this is the bump map file. You will need this if you're creating your own file from scratch, but since I used the games textures and simply removed the decals from the originals before adding my own I haven't needed to play with them. Since I'm a newbie I didn't want to play with creating everything from scratch and needing new bump maps, lighting and reflection info and so on. I simply don't know where it all is!

Make sure you copy the files and keep an unaltered original just in case before you start to edit. I don't think uMod makes permanent changes but you never know.

A couple of notes:
  • My uMod automagically grabbed a load of other game resources like UI buttons. Meh, ignore.
  • To add your texture back in once you've saved open uMod, and under Set Save Directory there should be an expandable list called [All The] Single Textures, expand this and you'll see all the game elements you're adding. To add a new texture right click Single Textures and hit Open Texture/Package. If Wreckfest is running it might crash at this point, just re-open. If it hasn't you should see the new texture immediately.
  • There is some guesswork involved when positioning elements based on existing ones, I recommend grabbing all the default textures for a particular car before starting so that you can see which elements start and finish where and line up your own decals accordingly.
  • To grab the damaged textures go into game, the default tarmac race should be fine. Drive into a couple other cars until they all pass, then go backwards and wreck yourself in a head-on collision to kill the game. Play the replay and pause when your car is obviously damaged on particular panels, then you can scroll through textures as you did in the lobby.
  • You cannot simply delete decals from existing textures because each has a kind of opaque texturing in even the apparently blank areas to simulate dirt, scratches etc. You will need to copy in this colour from another area if you delete a part. It is easier to use "empty" panels than remove existing decals if possible so this is another reason to grab as many textures as possible - you could even nab one of the UI cars in game if they have a dirt-only variant.
  • You can set a background colour in the file or leave it opaque to allow for tweaking the Hex colours later - this is ideal since then you can use the same texture on a blue, white, orange .etc without tweaking the image files. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods right now, especially for a beginner, but for longevity I would leave the textures as transparent as possible and play with Hex values for the main paint colour. [edit] The yellow under the rear bumper is the base Hex colour, so I had to edit it anyway. I think this is the best solution alround.
  • I haven't yet found the file which tells the game which parts of the car should reflect and which should not. There must be one since AM2 yellow has large rust patches which do not reflect, but the majority of the paintwork does. I suspect I can grab this with uMod and edit but we will see later.

That's all I can think of right now, suck it and see :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:34:11 PM by Jaycee »

Jaycee

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/quirkeyspace/media/JC_AmericanMuscle_FlyingTiger_zpsa12e425c.jpg.html

Quick wip, a rusty Flying Tiger style AM2 :)

oh wow, I really would love to drive this one. I think you really understand designing cars that fit perfectly into the style of BB.
Maybe you should get deeper into this (guest designer)  ;)

Flattering as that is, I have mainly used their own resources ;)

Needles Kane

I spotted fun detail in your skin. Those cars on back side of door are killmarkings like in old fighter planes?

Tero

I spotted fun detail in your skin. Those cars on back side of door are killmarkings like in old fighter planes?

I noticed that too, that's super awesome detail! :)

Frisker

I have a feeling that you are using different version of Umod than I am. Since I cannot find any 3 tickboxes(the only tickboxes I have are "save single texture" and "save all textures". I also can't find any way to save them as png, so I cannot edit them. I did manage to scroll the textures in game though, and save them, but I can't edit them. Photoshop doesn't support dds. files :P

I use Umod 1.0 since I couldn't find any other version from Google(Only source files which I understand nothing from)

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

Jaycee

I'm using uMod_alpha_v2_r53.zip

Thanks guys, I've tweaked the skin a fair bit since that version but I'll update when I've got the final colour sorted. I can't track down a pearlescent yellow shine AM2 Paint1 seems to have, perhaps it's the same file that dictates the reflectivity (totally a real word). Hmmm...

The yellow shine is definitely in the Hex files. I jumped into game and spotted the UI using my skin with the white paint so I'm going to assume I can use any of the car Hex files and play with one that's a bit easier to modify! Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:59:12 PM by Jaycee »

Frisker

Thanks alot Jaycee, I got it working. Now I just need some tips from my brother on how to use Photoshop..(or MS Paint xD). I'll see if I manage to create something, even though I completely lack of artistic talent.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM