Author Topic: Who uses a steering wheel  (Read 3316 times)

presuming ed

I'm having serious thoughts about getting a half decent steering wheel. As this game is sapping most of my time at the moment I'd be interested to hear thoughts - is it as much fun with a steering wheel as it looks like it would be?

BrianUK

I use my G27 on the odd occasion, although moving back to my parents place means I can't use it as often as I'd like.

It is incredibly fun with a wheel; you feel more connected to the car you are driving, and having to fight oversteer is a great experience. If you have the budget for a wheel, I'd say get one.

presuming ed

Thanks Brian that's really useful. So would you say you're slower with the wheel? I want a wheel for the fun factor but for the price I'd want to be using it almost all the time. If I'm not as fast on the wheel as with the controller I might not be as keen to fork out.

St. Jimmy

Wheel makes this game feel really good. I'm playing with a friend group and everyone of us have wheel and pedals. There's no way you'll regret getting a wheel for racing games.

Wheel is way more precise than keyboard and you can recover from a spin or not spin so easily. Just don't give up too fast because you're very likely slower with a wheel and spinning out at first but when you get used to it there's no turning back 8)

I'm using Fanatec CSR.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

BrianUK

Thanks Brian that's really useful. So would you say you're slower with the wheel? I want a wheel for the fun factor but for the price I'd want to be using it almost all the time. If I'm not as fast on the wheel as with the controller I might not be as keen to fork out.

After a few laps with the wheel, I was up to half a second slower, but once I got my settings to my liking I was as fast. As I just haven't been able to play more with it, I have only managed to match my times with my XBox pad.

It will take some getting used to, but there is scope to improve times simply because you have better control over the steering angle.

Purple44

When it come to racing games, I have always been using a wheel, be it arcade or simcade ( GRID 1, Wreckfest ). No pads for me.

But since I'm not a serious PC sim racer, I have pass on the more costly wheels like G25 and G27 and went with my first MOMO wheel ( $75 ) back in 2005 for Flatout 1 and now have a DFGT wheel. It seem Logitech has stop making the DFGT wheel. :( It hard to find now and not cheap. Paid $125 for the 3 year old DFGT wheel I got now.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

wighty76

I have a G27 and the game is way different between that and my XB1 controller. With the force feedback of the wheel, I really have to fight coming out of the corners to keep the car on a straight path. With a controller, the game feels more arcadey. With the wheel, it's a white-knuckled fight for life. I am considering picking up a playseat at my local Fry's to make setup a lot quicker.

TH8

For me a steering wheel is a must and being in the older generation I drive to work etc...so having a wheel in a driving/racing sim is where it's at. (My Rig set up attached..I hope) A wheel is generally slower than a hand controller, but if you like more of a challenge and the realism of driving a car with a wheel that would be a good choice. I use a G27 and it is extremely good bang for your buck and is compatible with a lot of driving/racing games.

Kind regards
M D Gourley
Win 7 + GTX690 | Thrustmaster TS-XW Racer Sparco P310 Wheel | 2x Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake Sparco Mod | TH8A | ECCI Trackstar 6000 Pedals | Button Box | TH8rs | Asus Strix 7.1 Headphones | Triple Screen 5760x1080

crazychris4124

I just got my Thrustmaster TX last week. It can do both PC and X1 but I still need to calibrate and buy a stand. Hope to use it by the next update for this game.

St. Jimmy

I have a G27 and the game is way different between that and my XB1 controller. With the force feedback of the wheel, I really have to fight coming out of the corners to keep the car on a straight path. With a controller, the game feels more arcadey. With the wheel, it's a white-knuckled fight for life. I am considering picking up a playseat at my local Fry's to make setup a lot quicker.

Force feedback should be configured that you can feel the physics and when you loose your grip. You shouldn't need to fight against it too much.
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

presuming ed

Thanks for all the advice everyone - and the aspirational photo!

Mind made up. I'll be watching the January sales very closely.

rhamm

Yeah and if you think the force feedback is too strong you can turn it down anyway.  Different people like different force feedback strengths.
Windows 10
Ryzen 7 1700X, Geforce GTX 1070
32GB DDR4
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel V2.5 with Porsche 918 RSR
V3 Clubsport Pedals plugged into wheel as 1 device

wighty76

Force feedback should be configured that you can feel the physics and when you loose your grip. You shouldn't need to fight against it too much.

I feel the car start slipping. My issues are exiting the corner and fighting the car fish-tailing. Most of it is not being used to using the wheel, which just takes a bit of practice. And having to constantly setup and tear down the wheel after playing is annoying when I can just leave my XB1 controller plugged in and be up and racing in under 5 minutes from sitting at the desk. I'm hoping the playseat will solve some of that. Does anyone here use one?

rwb

I have a Playseat Challenge and highly recommend it. The only reservation would be if you are over 6'4" or ~250lb it will be tight. Fanatec recently came out with a similar looking seat; if you are able to look at them side-by-side, do so, the Fanatec seat looks good if it's stiff enough, but looking at photos, I'm not convinced it is. That said, I had my doubts that the Challenge would be sturdy, but they were unfounded. Also, the Challenge folds up to be put in a closet, doesn't look like the Fanatec can do that.

I have a pretty heavy wheel mounted, and had to buy and drill a slab of 6061 to solidly attach both it and my shifter to the seat. I also built a little mount for the pedals out of a 1x12" board. If you don't want to hard-mount your wheel, and your pedals fit on the platform (G27 should,) you won't need that. The Challenge doesn't have any problem handling a heavy or moderately powerful wheel. I'm very, very happy with it.

Though it goes without saying, Wreckfest with a good sim setup is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:33:42 PM by rwb »

kruleworld

i prefer the wheel, the analog control makes those long turns easier than keyboard, also drifting
He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok.
Windows 8.1, Asus Z87-GD65, intel-i7-4770k, GTX770, 16GB